Eastleigh - My latest attempt at a layout!

Swifty11

EDIT: PROJECT MAY HAPPEN AT SOME POINT BUT FOR NOW IT IS CANCELLED

See posts below for up to date information.

Hello guys.

This was a layout (A scaled down version) that I planned years ago and have had stored up in my head for years and thanks to a forums competition, I have chance to have a go!
It is based on the Liverpool to Manchester line and Portland road is based on Warrington Central station, in other words a bit of a dump!!
The real Warrington central is operated by Worst Transpennine Express, however, no manufacturer has produced a 185 which is TPEs staple on the line so I may and up getting a 170 resprayed as I believe 170s have ran the line once or twice. In other words it can't be TPE based! So it will be operated by Northern Rail. Good old Bachmann are bringing out an EMT 158 in 00 which I'll certainly be buying making life a bit easier. I will be modifying the train lengths to so they fit into the planned fiddle yards. The 158s are 99% of the time operating in pairs, but a 4 car train is too long to go in the fiddle yard as I want to keep the limit at 3ft for the fiddles. So it's just not possible!

To add operational and viewing interest, I will be putting a small TMD/servicing facility with a fuelling point so that I have a reason to run light locos and freight. This also helps catch the viewers attention and DCC Sound will help with the overall image.

Where 47798 is there will be a small shed (Bachy single road servicing shed, still after one but I will get lucky eventually!) and a fuelling point. Where the gorgeous beastly 57/3s are (57306 Jeff Tracy and 57307 Lady Penelope) rest in the loco storage siding. This has since been re-done so it will fit into the line!

At the back are the mainlines heading to the fiddle yard and the junction at the end, more on that later

12156660884_9497045a2f_c.jpg
Untitled by Swifty11ProductionsZ, on Flickr

12156270415_3e24d15585_c.jpg
Untitled by Swifty11Productions, on Flickr

Here is the area next to the TMD, I'm not sure weather to put some Network Rail scene there or something or to stick with a Stobart depot, this would also add operational interest and we all have a bit of a soft spot for a Stobart don't we?

12156279505_1e7938188d_c.jpg
Untitled by Swifty11Productions[/url, on Flickr

The junction, this where trains from Liverpool can change tracks so they can access the TMD, this is done by running into the platform, changing ends and then driving over the points and into the yard. Please ignore the gap between the turned over point and the tmd line. Forgot to put it back!

12156548173_767afe9979_c.jpg
Untitled by Swifty11Productions, on Flickr

Now onto the station board. This is 2 platform and is operated by Northern (see above).
The staple traction is 150s, 156s and pacers but modellers license means I'll be running other less common items from northerns fleet not often seen on this route to take advantage of some of the excellent modern image models available.

12156990616_f0d4f4ea5d_c.jpg
Untitled by http://www.flickr.com/people/92944919@N06/]Swifty11Productions, on Flickr

The layout is currently all one board, this will be cut in half to make 2 1x4 boards. In keeping with the challenge regulations. Fiddle yards are not included in the challenge rules.
The layout (hopefully?) will be 14ft in length when fiddles are added so it's not going to be a small layout when it's finished!
Now I can't right anymore as my thumbs are tired!

If you have read all of this please feel extremely proud :)

• 1 month later...

I have 3! I've scrapped one to make room for this. May I ask why you've rate my first post as indecipherable/unsure of meaning?

I thought you had wel more than three layout projects on the go swifty :scratchhead: you seem to change your mind alot :mail:

you not building your wagon repair yard now??

cheers neil..

I thought you had wel more than three layout projects on the go swifty :scratchhead: you seem to change your mind alot :mail:

you not building your wagon repair yard now??

cheers neil..

Yes I do... That's the problem with forums!

They diorama has now been broken up ready to be thrown away. Thornton road is to be replaced and parkway (the new layout) will be put onto Thornton. I've extended the new 15ft layout so it's now 3ft wide and a roundy roundy layout! So that's where Thornton is moving too. Portland is my new other/exhibition layout! Depends if I get any invites for a show mate! I'd love to do Wirral!

Yes I do... That's the problem with forums!

They diorama has now been broken up ready to be thrown away. Thornton road is to be replaced and parkway (the new layout) will be put onto Thornton. I've extended the new 15ft layout so it's now 3ft wide and a roundy roundy layout! So that's where Thornton is moving too. Portland is my new other/exhibition layout! Depends if I get any invites for a show mate! I'd love to do Wirral!

Ile ask at our club for you.

Noing you Tom,you wil change your mind again,and build something els... :scratchhead:

Indeed! However this is one of my many dream layout ideas!

But I have nearly all the track and stuff for it, so should be possible

I have 3! I've scrapped one to make room for this. May I ask why you've rate my first post as indecipherable/unsure of meaning?

You have far to many half finished project layout threads on here,

ive lost count now on how many threads you have. :scratchhead:

You have far to many half finished project layout threads on here,

ive lost count now on how many threads you have. :scratchhead:

Yeah I should message Andy to delete some for clarity!

Amd there's going to be another new one... Butnill get lynched if I post it now

• 1 month later...

Any Updates Tom (Elgan Here)

Havent seen any on your forum so i thought i`d check here :)

Elgan looks Good

There will be one coming shortly. Probably Monday or tomorrow

Many many times you`ve said that Tom and its taken much much Longer so there better be !

Any new update Tom??

UPDATE... ISH

Due to rmweb not letting me out images on (grrrrrr) I've posted an update on my own forum so please view this post.

http://swifty11productions.co.uk/index.php?/topic/108-portland-road/?p=2888

Very sorry about this and genuinely this is not a marketing ploy just having problems.

• 1 month later...

Hello again!

Big big news!

As some of you know, I have come to a snag with this design of layout.

Before you all moan, the original idea will always be an idea I'll have available to come back to and I'm sure I will!

The simple problem is, It won't fit! After reviewing the size for the total layout and due to am unforeseen change completely out of my hands!

So I started to ponder onto other ideas, and as it has numerous DRS locos and pretty yellow 57/3s... Yeh I have decided to model Eastleigh!

More to come but here's a few tasters...

NOT MY PHOTOS

post-16280-0-15000200-1403107677_thumb.jpgpost-16280-0-40656300-1403107688_thumb.jpg

Noing you Tom,you wil change your mind again,and build something els... :scratchhead:

Well...... :senile: :scratchhead:

The problem is that of to make is into a really interesting layout, I'd need a lot of space which I don't have. I haven't given up on the original idea and in a few years time I'll build it but not yet!

Anyway hope your like the new idea

• 1 month later...

Hello again!

Big big news!

As some of you know, I have come to a snag with this design of layout.

Before you all moan, the original idea will always be an idea I'll have available to come back to and I'm sure I will!

The simple problem is, It won't fit! After reviewing the size for the total layout and due to am unforeseen change completely out of my hands!

So I started to ponder onto other ideas, and as it has numerous DRS locos and pretty yellow 57/3s... Yeh I have decided to model Eastleigh!

More to come but here's a few tasters...

NOT MY PHOTOS

attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

These two 57's look awesome sitting in the siding tom.

Archived