If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

Hi from a Leicestershire armchair modeller (these days)

Edthefolkie

Hello all,

I've been lurking for ages now, but thought I'd better get out from behind the rubberised horsehair bushes and show myself!

My first model railway was a "Triang Minic Railway" around 1952. It was somewhere between T and Z scale and worked by a motor vibrating a sheet of card with printed tracks. You could send the two coach train round an oval or a figure of eight. It also featured two tunnels, a wayside station, and trees reminiscent of those portrayed in "Noddy In Toyland". I think these sets are pretty rare now but there are pictures on one of the Triang websites.

Some time later I progressed to Hornby O gauge, then to a Triang black Princess, two cellulose acetate coaches (not warped) and a few wagons. One of the latter was Trackmaster and sits behind me on a shelf as I speak. The Triang track gave way to Wrenn universal, but I soon learned the error of my ways and switched to Sreamline. At the same time I built an end to end layout which was the bane of my poor old mum's life as it gradually colonised my bedroom. This layout was Southern Region with a 3 car Triang electric and a 2-6-2 tank. Didn't look much like Waterloo though! After experimenting with 3rd rail to power the coach lights, I again saw the error of my ways after a school trip to Derby Museum and went Midland/LMS, albeit in 00. This involved K's kits, a 2-rail Dublo 8F, a couple of Graham Farish suburban kits, a chopped Airfix signal box, etc. etc. It went on until I moved down to London and got an ultimatum from the parents - the layout went into the loft - in pieces! All too common.

I never really recovered from the London setback - unfortunately I moved into a house full of gricers and photographers. Some had attended Newcastle University which made things much worse. My life was spent pubbing and clubbing, chatting up young women, organising parties, chasing steam all over the place, also working occasionally. Then marriage and children intervened! I never really got back into building layouts, but there are still many assorted models on display or mouldering in boxes. 

In spite of this sad tale I've made many good friends who indulge in railway modelling or collecting. For instance one of them has been ruining his sight and sanity for years, trying to make the perfect 009 Corris locomotive (see a recent RM). Another collects and covets South African nameplates and organises railtours (he started with Trix!). From time to time I have scalded myself by rerunning the Rainhill Trials with the big Hornby Rockets, also setting fire to floors with Bonds O gauge and Bassett-Lowke 1 gauge. And even (he whispered), Scalextric in the lunch hour on the first floor of a bank branch. 

Oh yes - I too patronised the Kings Cross shop - and Millholme Models. Will try to share some stories in the future.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello Ed and welcome,

Sorry for the delay - I've been... elsewhere!

I loved you story.

Kev.

(Perhaps you could start off with a box-file layout?)

Archived