North British Distillery Ruston 88DS

Not sure whether to post this under preservation or Industrial - if Im wrong I am sure they will tell me. The Kingdom of Fife Railway Preservaton Society are doing a major overhaul of our Ruston 88 DS, the loco was bult in 1957 for the North British Distillery in Edinburgh and aquired by the Lochty Railway in the 1970`s, When the Lochty Railway closed it went into storage at Methil Power Station for 17 years and then became the property of the KFRPS. The engine has had a complete overhaul, now work has started on the bodywork - new cab sides and doors are being lazer cut by a local contractor. A picture of progress so far

post-11150-0-68214900-1390932868_thumb.jpg

Excellent work. It's nice to see the serious restoration of an industrial diesel shunter. I've always liked these small Rustons, both 88DS and 48DS. I remember (vaguely) when I was very young my father and I went on a walk along the half mile or so of track from Bodiam station (KESR) to the end of the line. I should add this was when the station was out of use - don't try it these days! The buffer stop was  a green 48DS, "Star of India". I often wonder what happened to it. The KESR had another one, this time red, which unfortunately became a mobile generator and then, I believe, went for scrap. There was also a 48DS on the East Kent, which ended up for sale at the Preston Services site. I saw it at one of the steam rallies there, but thankfully didn't have the cash available to do a very silly thing. I think I travelled behind an 88DS when the North Downs Steam Railway was at Stone, Dartford.

• 1 month later...

I would like to clear up a few inaccuracies in the report. It was I, who negotiated with The North British Distillery in Wheatfield Road, Edinburgh, back in 1973, to acquire the loco when I was secretary of the Fife Railway Preservation Group. The FRPG members formed the volunteer staff at the Lochty Private Railway. The loco was donated to the FRPG and not the LPR. It lay at Methil power station for about ten years whilst the re-constituted group now known as the Kingdom of Fife Railway Preservation Society was looking for a site to develop as a Railway Heritage Centre. Two years ago the engine was successfully restarted for the first time since leaving Lochty in 1994. Last year I drove it to the end of our line at Kirkland Yard and back. The running line is fully half a mile in length.

Pmwesty   

Archived