Bachmann 21 pin decoder problem

jamest

Hi Ron Ron,

As far as the Prodigy Express 2 is concerned, the recent Gaugemaster units have had the black facia with Prodigy Express2 written on them, and there is a POM button on the main keyboard now as well. They could well be just the MRC units, passed on.

I only know this as 2 friends of mine have recently ordered the Express from different sources, and that's what they've got, and to be honest the black ones look a lot smarter than the dull beige ones!!!!!!!

Regards

Jinty :-)

That's interesting. Are these Gaugemaster branded, or original MRC units and were they sourced from Gaugemaster, or other UK suppliers?

Possibilities include Grey imports, or a batch of MRC units have been supplied to tide them over until re-badged models arrive?

The new Prodigy Express2 "Squared" model looks like this....

http://www.modelrec.com/images/products/600/0001420.jpg

I think it has only been available for a couple of months.

That's interesting. Are these Gaugemaster branded, or original MRC units and were they sourced from Gaugemaster, or other UK suppliers?

Possibilities include Grey imports, or a batch of MRC units have been supplied to tide them over until re-badged models arrive?

The new Prodigy Express2 "Squared" model looks like this....

http://www.modelrec.com/images/products/600/0001420.jpg

I think it has only been available for a couple of months.

One sourced from Gaugemaster and one sourced from a local(ish) model shop, Both in the Gaugemaster packaging.

Like I said, the only difference that jumped out was a POM button on the L/H side of the keypad.

It looks slightly different to the link picture you put, but I'll have a closer inspection next time I see either of them.

Regards

Jinty ;-)

I've got a MERG Cbus DCC setup, and Bachmann the latest 21 pin decoders are one of the most difficult to programme the address. 1 bought about 6 months ago programmed like all my other decoders, but that was with a digitrax setup. 1 I bought more recently would only programme in 'Direct Mode' with the MERG setup, but most other decoders are happy to have their address set 'on the main'. I thought there were standards, but if they are applied, it seems there are still arbitrary differences of the most basic of processes.

Have you reported this back to MERG?

The MERG CBUS programmer code is (or was when I wrote it) the same as that of a SPROG and I have not heard similar complaints about SPROGs and Bachmann decoders.

Andrew

Jintyman, Thanks for the update.

Well indeed, that seems to confirm they are selling their own re-branded versions of the new updated "Squared" model.

There has been no announcement AFAIK and their website is still showing details of the original Prodigy Express (Gaugemaster re-branded version).

Archived