Cams to synchronise sound

drduncan

Hi Guys,

Does anyone have any experience with using proprietary or home made cams to synchronise sound chips with the antics of our locos?  I' particularly interested in something that works for/replicates 2 cylinder locos rather than the 4 cylinder option offered by Grizzly Mountain Engineering. 

Regards

• RMweb Gold

I sell magnetic non contact cams for a variety of axle diameters

http://www.ngtrains.com/Pages/Synch_Cam/soundsynch.html

But i do wonder if you know what you are doing as GME make wiping contact cams for 2,3,4 cylinders engines plus varients for Shays and other articulated engines. A 2 cylinder engine will have four contact points or magnets as it has four chuffs. Steam loco's are double acting so you get a chuff at each end of the stroke and four chuffs per revolutions

• 1 month later...

What scale are you talking about?

Do you have open frames or keeper-plate type chassis?

2 and 4 cylinder locos normally have the same number of exhaust beats per wheel revolution (4) so what's special about the Grizzly Mountain Engineering version?

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the suggestions and my apologies for the tardy reply, I've been off the web for a while.

The locos are all EM with open frames (ie no keeper plate), using single beam compensation, with the exception of a Bachmann gwr city.

Regards

D

Archived