The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Help to identify Ozzie 'weed' please!

DDolfelin

First of all, thanks for the ideas.

Not Ground Elder although it's a good thought.

I'm familiar with that after battling it for years at the last house.

I'll have a look at False Nettle and get back.

That would be a new one on me.

• RMweb Premium

The Latin name of false nettle is Boehmeria, it is natural to the south eastern USA. It is cultured because it is very attractive to butterflies especially the Red Admiral. It is a close relative of the stinging nettle, some varieties have marbled or reddish leaves..

• RMweb Gold

Dd's leaves are vaguely nettle shaped but the photo has quite distinct ridge like markings that don't look like nettle patterns to me. 

I believe if you submit a query to "Gardeners' Question Time" you can expect to get your answer sometime this century! Perhaps a query at a garden centre? 

I think this is the online version of the books that we used to use to identify plants growing in the school grounds when doing "surveys".

Tony

Might Dd indicate the habit of this plant? Does it spread along the ground, or grow upright with woody main stems? It's definitely not (Lamium?) Boehmeria; the leaves aren't variegated, and don't have  fine hairs on them. It looks like the shrub which sends suckers into my garden from next door; sadly, it's something the neighbour cultivates, so I can't use glyphosphate on it...

• RMweb Premium

Might Dd indicate the habit of this plant? Does it spread along the ground, or grow upright with woody main stems? It's definitely not (Lamium?) Boehmeria; the leaves aren't variegated, and don't have  fine hairs on them. It looks like the shrub which sends suckers into my garden from next door; sadly, it's something the neighbour cultivates, so I can't use glyphosphate on it...

Not all false nettle is varigated and it does not have the hairs of the common stinging nettle. Its habit is the same as stinging nettles, it will die back in the winter. If its your neighbours plant why not ask him what it is?

Archived