Southerns 442's.

SWT442

Afternoon,

Next month I have a week off and seeing as my name sakes no longer run around my area, i'm planning to take a trip over to Southern's territory to take a trip on some and get some pictures.

My question is, what services do the 442's usually run and what stations do they call at? I'll be travelling to Claphman Junction by SWT and changing.

Any help much appreciated,

Andy.

• RMweb Premium

They run the extended Gatwick Express service, so non-stop Victoria to Gatwick and then some or all stations to Brighton (i.e. they don't call at Clapham Junction), usually in the morning and evening peaks. There is also a weird Eastbourne - London Bridge train in the morning that doesn't call at Gatwick, and the reverse in the evening. You might be better off going to Brighton and catching them from there.

A number are stabled at Hove carriage sidings at weekends and overnight, if that helps. Although they are obviously stationary, they seem to be left with all lights on and compressors running (or they were when I saw them there late last year).

The BR classification was 4PIG, apparently. I am told they have some reliability problems, possibly a result of the extended period in storage at Eastleigh, although that is speculation.

Thanks for that, might have to go later in the day to get the evening peak and see them stabled.

(BTW, their designation was 5WES as in Wessex Electric. The Pig part comes from their nickname of "Plastic Pig" due to initial problems and the fact they used a lot plastics in the construction.)

Thanks,

Andy.

• RMweb Premium

A number are stabled at Hove carriage sidings at weekends and overnight, if that helps. Although they are obviously stationary, they seem to be left with all lights on and compressors running (or they were when I saw them there late last year).

The BR classification was 4PIG, apparently. I am told they have some reliability problems, possibly a result of the extended period in storage at Eastleigh, although that is speculation.

5-PIG surely? Actually more correctly they should be 5-WES with a pair being 10-WES.

Much more reliable now and the internal refurb certainly impresses even if the doorway space for the average Gatwick travellers HUGE suitcase(s) (the 'everyone board by just the one door and plonk bags in doorway' brigade) is utterly inadequate.

They are also stabled at the station and up sidings at Three Bridges between the peaks on weekdays.

The Eastboune to London Bridge service is the 07:14 off of EBN, arriving at LBG at 08:50, the equivilent return working being I think approx 17:42. A few 2 x 5-WES sets are used between GTW and VIC on the ordinary daytime service as well and this includes now some Saturday and Sunday services although from what I have seen their use is a little random and presumably depends on if a 460 is OOU for some form of maintenance.

NOTE: You must have a 'Any Permitted' ticket to use the 442's on the GTW to VIC workings, the Daysave cannot be used on these services.

During the snow we had a couple of weeks back they were used all day on Brighton to Vic expresses (stopping additionally at Gatwick to avoid the enivitable confused passengers!!) and there is talk that they will be doing this on a semi-permanant basis from the middle of 2010 which makes sense as for the Brighton Express jobs they are ideal and it is much better than having them sitting around at Hove/Three Bridges for most of the day.

If you are coming from Southampton, the first SOU to BTN services arrive with a ten to twelve minute connection for an up 442 departure and sometimes around 06:30 to 08:00 it is not uncommon to see up to three 10-WES sets in the platforms, the echo of their compressors all around the interior of the train station overall roof.

Archived