Push Button Tortoise Opperation cheap and Simple

I like the idea but isn't the LED indicator an essential to get the relay to operate? So if you include the LEDs that is 3 wires per Tortoise back to the CP.

Personally, I'd rather do without indicators (they only show the on/off cycle of the switch, not the actual track position) and have the conventional single lead to CP operation.

Please correct me though if I have misinterpreted that wiring diagram of the sold state relay.

The latching relay is what's maintaining power to the Tortoise motor, not the LEDs. Also with a conventional switch the switch positions gives just as good an indication of the turnout setting as the LEDs in this case do. Not really sure why this is better than a two position switch.

John P

The latching relay is what's maintaining power to the Tortoise motor, not the LEDs. Also with a conventional switch the switch positions gives just as good an indication of the turnout setting as the LEDs in this case do. Not really sure why this is better than a two position switch.

John P

That was not what I was questioning.

The LEDs seem to be there to cause the relay to operate (see the diagram) the relay pin 4 - presumably output will drive the Tortoise motor throwing (one of) the internal switch of the Tortoise causing a reset of the relay. So without the LEDs the circuit will not operate

I would also be worried that the Tortoise is not being driven to its stop. the internal wiper switch engages before the motor drives it to its stop - to me this looks as if it will only run the motor in one direction to its stop position. The Tortoise is a stall point machine and most faults and bad press it receives is due to incorrect set up particularly in the failure to use the fulcrum.

The indicator does not indicate anything other than the cycle of the push button on/off. This has nothing but optimism about the actual position of the track. If you want that then the only way is to have feedback from the track to indicate the switch has actually switched and is not stuck somewhere in the middle. It has no more value (and requires 2 more wires) than a simple throw switch that indicates with its physical position up/down. With the added cost of the relay and additional wiring.

NB Diag 3 & 4 of the Tortoise Instruction sheet are the best solution for wiring Tortoises with confirmation LEDs a single wire from CP to Tortoise.

Archived