If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Rapido/VIA Rail Canada Exclusive F40PH-2D

sjgardiner

Something about fan blades?

Its subtle, so subtle, only one super knowledgeable person caught it according to Jason at the Copetown Show today, i'm not going to spoil it, now that what i completely overlooked was pointed out, i want to see if anyone else can get it!

Haven't looked at my pictures yet, but the F40PH-2D looks incredible in person, so did the N-Scale GMD-1's, much more impressive than i thought they would, though not quite enough to get me to go N-Scale!

Good to see Adrian there briefly as well.  Managed to get through one show without spending any money, now the 2 days at Barrie-Allandale next weekend when i'm there working the Toronto Railway Museum's booth, not spending money then is going to be tougher!

VIA? What's VIA? Living in Calgary we don't have VIA.

I am slowly rebuilding two Walthers F40's into a more realistic VIA looking unit, adding winterization hatches, getting the horns in the right place etc. Now with this I will have to get a copy of 6407, my favourite VIA unit.

Still planning on ordering one of the FPA-4's so need to work extra hard so I can afford one of these.

Jason if you read this will you guys use this as an excuse to make a model of the rebuilds?

Its subtle, so subtle, only one super knowledgeable person caught it according to Jason at the Copetown Show today, i'm not going to spoil it, now that what i completely overlooked was pointed out, i want to see if anyone else can get it!

Haven't looked at my pictures yet, but the F40PH-2D looks incredible in person, so did the N-Scale GMD-1's, much more impressive than i thought they would, though not quite enough to get me to go N-Scale!

Good to see Adrian there briefly as well.  Managed to get through one show without spending any money, now the 2 days at Barrie-Allandale next weekend when i'm there working the Toronto Railway Museum's booth, not spending money then is going to be tougher!

I would agree - the F40 looks very nice. The N-scale GMD1 looks very good - I'll have to get one even though I realy want the 4-axle rather than the 6-axle variant. I asked about a Turbo in N and got an evasive answer (but not a negative one like the one I got when I asked about an LRC).

Good to see you there. I also managed to get through the show without spending money, but I stopped at CVR on the way home and made up for it. See you in Barrie.

Adrian

As long as it's "you're doing those Amtrak Horizon cars to run with that F40" i'm fine with it. :jester:

I remember seeing the International many times with a VIA F40 and Superliners. Very nice looking train. Too bad I am not in HO or I would put together a model of it.

I've suggested an idea to Jason regarding a detail that would give Rapido (and VIA) another 'first'. He likes the idea, so it may just get taken up. Could even be controversial!

CHRIS LEIGH

1:1 scale Turbo trains??? I bet he would love that idea.

1:1 scale Turbo trains??? I bet he would love that idea.

If I had a billion dollars, I would build a fleet of Turbos and lease them to VIA for $1.  No question.  

In fact, I read about all the billionaires out there and wonder why none of them has done this yet.

-Jason

If I had a billion dollars, I would build a fleet of Turbos and lease them to VIA for $1.  No question.  

In fact, I read about all the billionaires out there and wonder why none of them has done this yet.

-Jason

I'm thinking you might need more $ than that...

• 9 months later...

Equally interesting was a reply on another forum to the effect that if the phase 1 series Amtrak locos sell well , then they will look at later phases (with different details , fuel tanks etc) , but also , consider "vegetables" (quote from Jason) , which hopefully means the NPCU "cabbage" - a lot of these were converted from series 1 F40s , so the bodyshell detail would be correct.

• 1 year later...

CAD drawing released on the Rapido Facebook page announces that the rebuilt VIA F40PH-2D is about to go into tooling:

https://www.facebook.com/rapidotrains/  (no account required to view)

[edited to add]

Also should point out for those now aware these are no longer VIA exclusive models but rather available through normal retail channels.

Archived