Another GWR 2-2-2

Scored a Triang/Hornby Caledonian Single on eBay with the intention to turn it into a GWR 2-2-2 with a semi-scratch built tender. The goal is No. 378 Sir Daniel, as she looks on page 10 of H. Holcroft's "An Outline of Great Western Locomotive Practice 1837-1947" With spectacle plate,  Armstrong safety valve cover and tender springs on top of the tender foot plate. I know that wheels, wheel base and general size of the Caledonian doesn't quite match Sir Daniel, but hey, you can't always have everything. Hopefully, I'll still end up with something that looks (in my eyes) the part.

The fun has begun:

post-12040-0-06838800-1391872739_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi KH,

Looking forward to this even though not being a GWR fan, what you end up with is nothing short of incredibly brilliant.....maybe in the future something red, joint Midland/GWR :angel:..........perhaps!!!! 

Rgds.......Mike

Hi Stefan,

It's always the way, you wait ages for a bus or one of your threads to turn up and then three turn up at once...

Nice idea this one - I look forward to seeing progress!

All the best,

Castle

Crikey Stefan you're really getting back into things now with three builds on the go.

I have two Dean singles to convert (later) to a 157 and another, I had been looking at potential options for the latter and looked at this class but had sort of decided on another 157 but maybe with one domed and one domeless. I will be fascinated to see how this turns out as I just love the old singles.

The basic proportions of the Caledonian tender top looks similar enough to the GWR tender in the photo. All unwanted detail was removed and toolboxes added. The photo I'm working from is a side shot. Does anyone have any ideas on what the front and back of the tender looked like? 

post-12040-0-20295200-1392483593_thumb.jpg

post-12040-0-01697700-1392483629_thumb.jpg

Made a smokebox wrapper from 10 thou styrene and a chimney using plastic tube and the top and bottom from another chimney. I will shape the dome a bit more to get a closer resemblance to the prototype. The bottom third of a dome and the top third from a plastic safety valve cover is supposed to be an Armstrong safety valve cover. Found the buffers in a box, they look (I hope) like the ones used at the time.

post-12040-0-83461600-1392567595_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Painting can commence!

The remaining springs, pipe work, and reversing lever will be fitted when these areas are painted. The tender wheels will get fixed in their correct position along with the brake rigging.

post-12040-0-14183900-1393619182_thumb.jpg

Archived