Ex Big Four Brakevans in BR service - Where did they get to?

R.Langley

Hello,

I'm just in the middle of moving all my stock to new stock boxes and I've come across two ex NE 20 ton brake vans in BR brown. I model the Western region (my current layout under construction is based in Cornwall) and was wondering just what was the operating sphere of these (and other former Big Four) brake vans in BR days? If they did I can keep hold of them, otherwise I can sell them.

Thanks in advance.

Richard

Do you mean the short wheelbase one (as modelled by Mainline, then Bachmann) or the later type, almost identical to the BR standard, but with shorter footboards?

The former travelled less widely, though might have ended up in the West Country in departmental use- being short-wheelbase, they weren't very good riders. The latter got everywhere, I believe. Ex-LMS and LNER vans were widespread post-Nationalisation (see Big Bee's photo of an early LMS design at Eastleigh on this forum). There was even an ex-LMS van, with cut-down chimney and footboards in the BP&GV pool in the 1970s. SR vans were less widely spread until the SR became a 'fitted-only' region, when they headed northwards, whilst ex-GWR designs were not popular in traffic use, but got everywhere with the engineers.

I know your question didn't relate to these specific vans but, as a matter of interest, an ex-Southern Queen Mary brake ended up at the ex-GE yard in Romford after a breakaway which resulted in wagons invading the road outisde!

• RMweb Gold

At least one of the short w/b LNE vans, E178635, worked on the Wenford Bridge branch china clay trains.

Also an LMS brake was in a photo I saw of Wadebridgehttp://www.semgonline.com/steam/0298_03.html

To confirm an earlier comment regarding ex SR brake vans heading north, I did see one in departmental use at Kyle of Lochalsh mid 81 I did have an image and if I find it will post for 100% proof. 

Saw it at Crianlarich in 1983. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/28679-west-highland-coaching-stock-early-1980s/&do=findComment&comment=301579

Edit Wadebridge link added

There's an ex SR van marooned in a disconnected siding at Manea near Ely. I've also seen video of one in a Nottinghamshire colliery yard.

A very interesting book I picked up at Christmas, shows a freight on the GC just north of Nottingham, the third vehicle in the train is a GW brake van. 

Archived