Motorized chassis for a TT scale 4-6-2 steam locomotive.

Hi,

Can anyone help me find a motorized chassis for a TT scale 4-6-2 steam locomotive. My friend has asked me to look around but I am clueless about TT scale items. Whilst his model will be hand built he would like to have working so it would be nice if a TT scale chassis and small wheels for the pony truck, tender etc. can be sourced.

The image below is something similar loco he intends to build.

Any help is welcome. I heard of a brand called Tillig. Do they sell spare chassis?

Cheers!
JB.

post-21774-0-30815100-1392181227_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

There are various Central/Eastern European brands that make TT (1:120 on 12mm track) products of which Tillig is probably the most important. You can Google them and their products are available in the US.

That's quite a strange looking loco with smallish wheels for a Pacific. Can you tell us any more? There are motor bogies available for 12mm gauge from an Austrian company (Halling) which might make it easier to motorise the tender.

That's quite a strange looking loco with smallish wheels for a Pacific. Can you tell us any more? There are motor bogies available for 12mm gauge from an Austrian company (Halling) which might make it easier to motorise the tender.

Thanks for the info..... Here is a clearer image of the locomotive. Built by Baldwin in the US. Do the wheels still look small?

post-21774-0-08703800-1392272544_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Nice looking loco and helpful to have that photo. In a slightly larger scale, one might be able to replicate that boiler and smokebox with a cigar tube.

To UK eyes at least, yes, those wheels look a tad small for a Pacific. But that may be because of a more generous loading gauge and therefore larger boiler etc. Tillig do have German Pacifics in their range and someone on here (there is a German TT layout) may be able to give you the chassis measurements. Your friend will still have a small problem representing those Boxpok wheels.

It almost looks like a case for taking a British TT (1:100 scale on 12mm) West Country and putting Black 5 valve gear on it.

Your friend will still have a small problem representing those Boxpok wheels.

It almost looks like a case for taking a British TT (1:100 scale on 12mm) West Country and putting Black 5 valve gear on it.

Only the first few locomotives had that. Later on they had 12-14 spoke wheels.

Another 3mm scale source is

http://finneyandsmith.co.uk/finneyandsmith/index.htm

They don't do 1:120 as such but they are very knowledgeable and may be able to point you in the right direction.

This company may be able to produce what you want if you supply measurements. See in particular their 1:120 scale page:

http://www.worsleyworks.co.uk/index.htm

• RMweb Gold

Thats an Indian WP class - 5'7" drivers, but also 5'6" gauge. You might struggle to find a chassis for that . 

Thanks. That explains a lot. I didn't think it looked like a US locomotive.

So if OP's friend wants to model that accurately, he needs to be running on 14mm gauge track. Spoked wheels should make it a lot easier but he is probably best to start from etched frames. So much daylight under that boiler that I still think tender drive is the way to go.

Thanks. That explains a lot. I didn't think it looked like a US locomotive.

So if OP's friend wants to model that accurately, he needs to be running on 14mm gauge track. Spoked wheels should make it a lot easier but he is probably best to start from etched frames. So much daylight under that boiler that I still think tender drive is the way to go.

Its not an American loco, but it was built there

• RMweb Gold

Its not an American loco, but it was built there

As I learned from the Wikipedia link in PhilH's post.

It's a lovely looking loco and one could easily imagine a standard-gauge version being built for use in the USA, Canada or wherever. I particularly like the streamlining of the roof of the cab and tender.

I should have guessed that it was for Indian railways from those louvred sliding cabside sheets.

Is your friend going to model it to run on 14mm (or perhaps 14.2mm) track? If so, it would definitely make sense to talk to Finney and Smith about wheels and axles.

Archived