Class 218 locos

steve1

Not sure about 2000, but Aachen had it's diesel power supplied by Dueren and Koeln, and they were 215's (now 225's). The 218 diesels had electric heating and tended to be used in areas of Germany that were not wired. Freight would be part of the rather complex diagrams that ensured assets were "sweated".

I will see if I can get an answer from a German site.

Mike

Off the top of my head, Roco's train set 218 is actually a 215, which is what the majority of 225s effectively are.  I just remembered the 225.8 subclass though, which are actually ex-218s rather than ex-215, so Roco's new 218 model (also excellent value for its detail level IMO) can be used.  For the bulk of 225s, Liliput's equally new model is suitable.  ESU also have a suitable model, but at nearly €400 value doesn't come into it!

There is a really good value model from Piko in their 'Hobby' range. Again, it's not fantastically detailed, but on my friend Günther's layout the Piko BR 218 is a powerful loco that will start a freight with 15/16 bogie vehicles on a gradient with no problem.

Archived