layout design help!

canpac35005

Please help?!!

I have a spare room sized 9'x12', with a door in the top corner of the room on the 9' wall, im trying to design a double track fed southern railway inspired terminus station in the transition era with a possible branch line junction (gwr) trailing off to the fiddle yard, im thinking of having train lengths of 5 or 6 coaches max, hopefully 4 platforms, a small goods yard for cattle, box vans and coal, ( the usual s.r stuff)
engine shed with turntable. can anyone help me come up with some plans, ive gone over the c.j.freezer books time and time again but the plans don't seem to work with peco streamline code 100!

heres a floor plan, each grid is 12" the grey area is free space on the floor and the area of the door.

all help would be greatly appreciated as would any suggestions of real locations that would work in the space I have available.

post-21034-0-00288700-1392380102_thumb.jpg

What you have drawn is only 8 foot wide, so is it 8 or 9 foot?  Also presumably 00?  Do you feel up to building a traverser or using cassettes for the fiddle yard?  A six coach train is going to be about 6' long so a fan of sidings will be difficult to fit in for the fiddle yard.

• RMweb Gold

I had thought about that but I cant find any decent pictures or track plans of the site

For trackplan, you can as usual use www.old-maps.co.uk. But I have seen a full plan in a published book as well.

Colin Penfold has a thread going on here about layout design and I think he posted a plan of Southampton Terminus on that.

Cheltenham St James was only Southern from 1956, the GW used the Midland Lansdown station for its Southampton trains until the pointwork south of the Gloucester road was taken out in 1956 thereafter the one train per day ran to from St James with an Eastleigh loco.    Southampton terminus just pre war sounds good, Bulldogs off the DNS Manors or MSWjR 4 4 0s (the 4-4-0s disappeared when the Manors appeared) off the MSWJ plys the weird assortment of LSWR locos the sSouther relied on in pre Bullied days

I have been staring at this plan for an hour nearly and looking at the room plan it seems to me to depend on your abilities as a carpenter because if you can construct a curved traverser maybe simply sliding on a commercially available kitchen worktop, a six road or seven roadtraverser could be squeezed omto that six foot kick back by the door, maybe even overlapping the door by a foot when pulled to the furthest road and that would allow minimum 5 foot trains (6 with an overlap) to be handled using only 42"  or 3 foot six of the length of the long side.   If not finding room for hidden siding points is the problem

• RMweb Gold

I have just reakised I have never seen a traverser like I suggested in a model magazine ever.  I shal start a new thread!

Nor have I. It's a brilliant idea and amazing that no-one seems to have ever thought of it. So long as one takes great care to make sure that all the drawer runners are absolutely parallel, the carpentry is not particularly difficult.

Here is an idea for you.  Curved station throat to a station with four platforms, goods facilities, turntable, carriage sidings, etc.  I don't believe there is room for a branch with everything else you want.

post-16793-0-05541300-1392629987_thumb.jpg

Needless to say there is little room for scenery beyond railway related infrastructure.

• RMweb Gold

Or even more if you move the station building further to the right and model it in low-relief.

As always, the layout will look better if the tracks are not parallel to the edge of the baseboard, and a bit of a curve in the platforms is always good.

It looks good except the toy like facing crossover at the platform end, there may be one or two innthe UK but I have never seen one.

I think you will struggle to get enough length beyond the pointwork in the hidden sidings, unless you start before the final curve and use curved points.

I suggested a "hockey Stick" traverser but that was for a layout the other way round with the Traverser where the Goods is marked on the right hand end.

Maybe a straight traverser would be the answer for the fiddle yard, 7 feet should be possible 6 coach trains 7 X 57 footers plus a mogul.

I like the 60 foot turntable it is 12mm on the plan a Hornby one would be 15mm but unless you fancy a Gresley P2 you only need a 60 footer 

I would put a gentle curve in the platforms and push platform end back towards the edge of the layout with a low relief ststion building but it is a good concept

Archived