As much advice as you can offer on a 1st layout

Old 'un

Hi everyone,

Those that read my initial introductory hello will have a good understanding as to where I am regarding layouts so briefly - it is for my grandchildren.

They have space for an 8x 4 layout but mum wants it put away easily so the board must be able to split in two plus each part then fold in half, leaving 2x4 foot sections to store.

I have done a lot of reading on the science (I hope their father is doing the same) but have no practical experience of the art.

The initial questions I would ask of you are :-

• They have two new Hornby dc sets which we intend  to combine. Should we consider moving straight to DCC or stay as DC?
  • I read that a youngsters layout should be based on yards & shunting to keep interest going. Is this correct?
  • I have downloaded Scarm and used a slight modified free layout as a first. Would the layout work (without massive electrical problems?)  (See below)  Sorry image may have failed I will have to read up on how to upload images to a post
  • Is there a more commonly used layout design programme?
  • The incline to the coal drop would be very steep over the short length -Solutions?
  • Would it be practical to use Aluminium sections for the base for lightness or should it be timber framed & 9mm ply?
  • When I view YT and see tremendous layouts then I sometimes see a rear track at a much higher level than ground zero. Is this a separate track to the main tracks at lower level. If not how was such a steep incline overcome to take the train up to that height?

I have dozens of other queries in my mind but I am sure some will become clear as I progress. In the meanwhile I would thank you in advance for any assistance (laymans terms please) that you can offer plus guidance you can give.

post-21878-0-83726200-1392386562_thumb.j

• RMweb Premium

No reason why you could not use aluminium for the frame, but most people find it easier to make the frame out of wood. There is a strong preference for ply as it is less likely to warp. 

What is best for the children depends on what they like. From observations, younger children prefer the ability to run the trains round and round as fast as they can.

I dont think the concept is viable as a children's layout, there would be too many joints between sections if you split 8X4 into four pieces and without full length timbers I fear it will sag. Can the board not simply stand on its edge against the wall when not in use?

My son had lots of pleasure from a double track oval on a board around 5X3 with crossovers a loop and a turntable

While it is correct that lots of shuffling things arround associated with shunting holds children's attention I recall being more interested in passenger workings when younger (and still the case) as this is the part of the railway I had seen and been on - sprinters and preserved passenger trains.

Good excuse to take them to preserved railways / museums to show them what goes on in other parts of the railway / used to happen

Thanks to everyone for their advise. they have made me do a rethink of the project.

In retrospect I do believe the board will bend being 8ft long & without solid bracing below. I think it will be best to follow the methods shown for building bases in timber. 

Having looked at the layout I see the difficulty in splitting the board into sections as 2ft wide doesn't necessarily coincide with track joins so would more and more.

A check with the boys mam & I will find out if there is anywhere a board of say 7ft tall x 4ft wide could be placed against a wall (without ruining the ambience of the room lol).

They have tried the "speedway" approach to the train set only to find it flies of the track at the bends. I never mentioned adding ballast as a possible solution as I preferred the option of shunting as I had read elsewhere. 

They are fortunate to have so many points of interest reasonable close by such as the York Railway Museum,  National Railway at Shildon,  Beamish Museum & Tanfield Railway, plus The Winter Polar Express & Carlisle to Settle. All of which they get so excited about when a visit is due. We also take them to local model rail exhibitions. We have found out to our mistake that to take them to the fairs proves to be an expensive outing

I reduced the picture by 50% via paint but cannot discover how to place it within the body of the blog. Will have to search further for instruction.

Still unsure as to go DCC or remain DC at this point. Any suggestions?

DCC possibly makes more sense to the younger generation as they push a button to control the locomotive and drive it to where they want / set it going and repeat for other trains. (don't worry, there's usually an emergency stop button incase there's about to be a crash)

DC often involves a series of switches or isolating spots, wiring for cab control where each section of track can be turned on and off would require planning the locomotive's route from where it is to where it wants to be, personally this is how I tend to build my layouts partly as N gauge is harder to chip older locos but mainly I'm tight :P

DCC possibly makes more sense to the younger generation as they push a button to control the locomotive and drive it to where they want / set it going and repeat for other trains. (don't worry, there's usually an emergency stop button incase there's about to be a crash)

DC often involves a series of switches or isolating spots, wiring for cab control where each section of track can be turned on and off would require planning the locomotive's route from where it is to where it wants to be, personally this is how I tend to build my layouts partly as N gauge is harder to chip older locos but mainly I'm tight :P

Ha ha, I love it.

I am hoping that I am spending their fathers' money so perhaps will look at DCC! Ha ha

I reduced the picture by 50% via paint but cannot discover how to place it within the body of the blog. Will have to search further for instruction.post-19851-0-27542900-1392760001_thumb.jpg

It's a forum topic not a blog.

Open the image in paint, reduce it in size and then save it
Replying to this thread...
Click on "more reply options"
Under "attach file" click on "choose files"
Choose your file
when it's finished uploading click on "add to post", which will add the text attachment=filename.jpg albeit in square brackets to your reply.  Position this text where you want it in your reply.

Archived