• RMweb Gold

Large prairies are certainly a locomotive that has a very real presence.  C1ST5Fx.gif

For sure! Though I admit I prefer their smaller brethren :)

Stayed up late last night and got up early this morning to add some more details.

Whistles in, 3 link and vac. pipe fitted to front bufferbeam, red paint, matt black for smokebox and roof, coal added and decals fitted, then lacquered before going to work.

Waiting on number and shed plates but will crack on with weathering and servicing the chassis in the mean time.

post-898-0-83833400-1520419118_thumb.jpg

post-898-0-45758900-1520419146_thumb.jpg

post-898-0-66181500-1520419166_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

post-898-0-10817100-1520463934_thumb.jpg

post-898-0-64683400-1520599873_thumb.jpg

Grubbed up. Believe it or not I got it looking exactly how I wanted, then tried to seal it with dullcote, which had the effect of removing all the weathering. So this it the second attempt.

I did clean up the pickups, and a drop of oil in the gears, it runs a bit better/smoother.

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

One of the final things to do on this prairie was to add some glazing - clear plastic stuck in with glue 'n glaze.

It's also gained a crew member.

post-898-0-79111000-1520629657_thumb.jpg

I say this prairie because it has a stablemate shortly to go under the knife. This one will be lined BR green and my stepdad and I are going to attempt to do most of it this weekend. Annoyingly the post seems extra slow at the moment so we are missing a few bits and bobs but we'll see how we get on.

This one differs in having flangeless centre driving wheels (the past truly is another country). It also has a motor that doesn't work, tried cleaning up the contacts but no luck. There's one on eBay with the same issue (it almost moves but then doesn't) so I guess it's not uncommon.

They make a good 'before and after' comparison.

post-898-0-11081000-1520629594_thumb.jpg

Over on the NWR, my T9 tender wheelsets arrived so I was able to make up this rudimentary sub-chassis from styrene strip and tube (somehow ramming an axle under my thumbnail in the process).

post-898-0-86075500-1520632100_thumb.jpg

aaaand it has a motor! This little Hornby motor slots into the chassis (worm gear attached to the shaft using glue).

It has a fair bit of 'go' when hooked up to the 9V battery on RC.

post-898-0-65476600-1520632292_thumb.jpg

Now I need to thread the wiring through the body and tender.

• Like 9

One of the final things to do on this prairie was to add some glazing - clear plastic stuck in with glue 'n glaze.

attachicon.gifIMG_5285.JPG

I say this prairie because it has a stablemate shortly to go under the knife. This one will be lined BR green and my stepdad and I are going to attempt to do most of it this weekend. Annoyingly the post seems extra slow at the moment so we are missing a few bits and bobs but we'll see how we get on.

This one differs in having flangeless centre driving wheels (the past truly is another country). It also has a motor that doesn't work, tried cleaning up the contacts but no luck. There's one on eBay with the same issue (it almost moves but then doesn't) so I guess it's not uncommon.

attachicon.gifIMG_5284.JPG

Over on the NWR, my T9 tender wheelsets arrived so I was able to make up this rudimentary sub-chassis from styrene strip and tube (somehow ramming an axle under my thumbnail in the process).

attachicon.gifIMG_5283.JPG

aaaand it has a motor! This little Hornby motor slots into the chassis (worm gear attached to the shaft using glue).

attachicon.gifIMG_5287.JPG

Excellent work, Corbs! 

Any thoughts of doing a Toby by any chance? Again, I'd love to see your take on him.

• 2 weeks later...

Corb, the prairie (with every other gwr loco I've seen) has it's front vacuum pipe go off to the left of the buffer beam. Not straight down, maybe it's just me that wants to models this detail?

But it is a thing I notice lol

Edited by GWR Joe

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've been musing on another bash recently. I like the idea of the NWR having its own loco classes. The first of these is the 'Hatt Class 7', built by North British, made up of 3 locos:

705 Westlin

706 Thorfinn The Mighty

707 Godred Crovan

I've also proposed that the NWR purchased 3 ex-ROD 2-8-0 locos after the Great War for heavy goods work.

What my timetables have shown a need for are more mixed traffic class 3-5 locos. I thought that the SECR-designed N Class would be a good candidate as a lot were built by Woolwich Arsenal as kits of parts and ended up being sold to different railways, so what if the NWR bought a batch?

Which led me to this, a simple photobodge of an N Class with an LMS style cab and the SR smoke deflectors (as used on the Hatt Class 7 locos).

I quite like it, it reminds me of a less aggressive-looking LMS 'Crab'.

post-898-0-20470700-1530190447.jpg

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 3

I've been musing on another bash recently. I like the idea of the NWR having its own loco classes. The first of these is the 'Hatt Class 7', built by North British, made up of 3 locos:

705 Westlin

706 Thorfinn The Mighty

707 Godred Crovan

I've also proposed that the NWR purchased 3 ex-ROD 2-8-0 locos after the Great War for heavy goods work.

What my timetables have shown a need for are more mixed traffic class 3-5 locos. I thought that the SECR-designed N Class would be a good candidate as a lot were built by Woolwich Arsenal as kits of parts and ended up being sold to different railways, so what if the NWR bought a batch?

Which led me to this, a simple photobodge of an N Class with an LMS style cab and the SR smoke deflectors (as used on the Hatt Class 7 locos).

I quite like it, it reminds me of a less aggressive-looking LMS 'Crab'.

woolworth1.jpg

Hmm... Do I see a James incoming...?

• RMweb Gold

Well James Catherick is currently assigned to 305, an ex-FR D3 0-6-0 which I haven't built yet - this way I have an excuse to paint it red (first on hire from FR, then painted into FR livery for the centenary in 1934, the FR having vanished in 1923).

The thing I'm missing for an N James would be a good reason to have it red. Or do I just go with another naming structure?

Well James Catherick is currently assigned to 305, an ex-FR D3 0-6-0 which I haven't built yet - this way I have an excuse to paint it red (first on hire from FR, then painted into FR livery for the centenary in 1934, the FR having vanished in 1923).

The thing I'm missing for an N James would be a good reason to have it red. Or do I just go with another naming structure?

Hmm. Well Crovan's Gate have got a bit of a reputation for rebuilds... Maybe it was after a certain accident that James Catherick got rebuilt into a 2-6-0 as the works used it for a while as a testbed for ideas...?

• RMweb Gold

Hmm. Well Crovan's Gate have got a bit of a reputation for rebuilds... Maybe it was after a certain accident that James Catherick got rebuilt into a 2-6-0 as the works used it for a while as a testbed for ideas...?

Yes in the Railway Series stories but in this universe it remains as an 0-6-0, I'm not really into the 'heavy rebuild to cover up for indifferent or inaccurate illustrations' thing in this version as much, most of the locos have closer ties to real classes, which almost brings us full circle to the N Class :)

I think a pair of FR D3 locos would make for good stablemates to the K2 (whenever I finish that) - one red and one blue!

So probably these Class 4 locos will have different names.

Yes in the Railway Series stories but in this universe it remains as an 0-6-0, I'm not really into the 'heavy rebuild to cover up for indifferent or inaccurate illustrations' thing in this version as much, most of the locos have closer ties to real classes, which almost brings us full circle to the N Class :)

I think a pair of FR D3 locos would make for good stablemates to the K2 (whenever I finish that) - one red and one blue!

So probably these Class 4 locos will have different names.

Fair. I did have a suggestion in this case though. May I recommend the LBSCR K Class? Apart from being outside cylinder and not having a Fowler tender it looks startlingly similar to James's television incarnation. Only issue is a realistic reason for the red paintwork.

Sorry if I'm being a pain. I'm only trying to help.

post-33750-0-41839700-1530196107_thumb.jpg

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not a pain at all! Lively discussion like this is the key to creativity and progress. 

The K class are rather handsome, aren't they? Well proportioned. I think my heart is set on the D3 though for 305, mainly because the excuse for running it in FR livery (red) for the 100 year celebrations of the FR is too good to miss. Originally it was to be a different loco but in Royal Mail red, but it seemed out of character for the period to paint locos in clients' colours, which is a more modern thing.

post-898-0-68891300-1530197012.png

The N Class locos are sooo convenient as the 'Woolwich Batch' kits were sold to: 

Southern Railway bought 50 and built them as standard N Class, and later bought a few more kits to start building the W Class 2-6-4T

The Midland Great Western/Great Southern Railway of Ireland bought 27 and built them as 2 classes

Metropolitan Railway bought 6 kits and built them as K Class 2-6-4T locos

So it's plausible that the NWR would have bought a few, too, but designed more enclosed cabs as it's grim oop north!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The Midland Great Western Railway assembled a number of Woolwich Mogul kits at their Broadstone works in the 1920s (most coming out in Great Southern days) so there's a good precedent. I've long felt the NWR has a lot in common with some of the medium-sized Irish lines.

Apologies, didn't read Corb's previous post closely enough - already said.

Edited by Compound2632

• RMweb Gold

Also Class 3—5? Surely a certain pair of Highlanders could do that...?

aaaaaaaw YISS

Which is why the recent announcement by Rails of Sheffield to do the 812 class was very well received!

If you are interested I did a blog post about trying to work out some timetables, to give me an idea of how big the fleet should be...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1365/entry-20165-timetables-and-traffic-requirements/

It has a need for 8 locos of power class 3-5 (plus another class 5+) to run daily main line (stopping) services, then if you add branch lines, goods, accounting for locos undergoing overhauls/maintenance e.g. washouts.

As Mikkel said "Isn't it funny how modellers' plans always end up concluding that more stock is needed?"

• Like 1

aaaaaaaw YISS

Which is why the recent announcement by Rails of Sheffield to do the 812 class was very well received!

If you are interested I did a blog post about trying to work out some timetables, to give me an idea of how big the fleet should be...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1365/entry-20165-timetables-and-traffic-requirements/

It has a need for 8 locos of power class 3-5 (plus another class 5+) to run daily main line (stopping) services, then if you add branch lines, goods, accounting for locos undergoing overhauls/maintenance e.g. washouts.

As Mikkel said "Isn't it funny how modellers' plans always end up concluding that more stock is needed?"

Hell yeah! Corbs is doing Donald and Douglas!

Just need Toby and Oliver, then you'll have the full steam roster from the books  :P

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes indeed all in good time.

A few possible names for these N Class locos:

401 Sigurd

402 Harold

403 Thorkell

404 Ulf

405 Edric

All characters from Sudrian History (taken from TIOS). 

I'd quite like to name a group of locos after historical Sudrian women like Gerda, Sigrid, Gertha, there are probably more...

• Like 3

attachicon.gifIMG_5285.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_5284.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_5283.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_5287.JPG

Your Edward model looks very nice! I hope it runs well after all that work.

• Like 1