working outside valve gear?

TonyMay

Hi,

Silly question.  Has anyone ever built anything (and it would have to be fairly big) with working reverser lever driven by a switch, DCC controlled, so that outside valve gear switches between forwards and reverse?  Would that work in O gauge or would you have to go bigger to gauge 1 or something?

Just one of those crazy ideas I have sometimes.

First saw it done in S gauge by Ian Pusey c 1965 (Model Railway News). No DCC involved - the d.c. polarity worked the reverser until it had travelled and that switched the d.c. through to the traction motor. The circuit was a standard flip-flop working on some gapped copperclad iirc.

Hi,

Silly question.  Has anyone ever built anything (and it would have to be fairly big) with working reverser lever driven by a switch, DCC controlled, so that outside valve gear switches between forwards and reverse?  Would that work in O gauge or would you have to go bigger to gauge 1 or something?

Just one of those crazy ideas I have sometimes.

You mean like this - watch the brakes as well, they are servo controlled as well and release before setting off.

Given that fully operational, if somewhat overscale, inside Stephenson's motion has been done on 7mm live steamers (not sure about outside gear of any kind, but I see no reason why not) it should be a practical proposition.

Given that fully operational, if somewhat overscale, inside Stephenson's motion has been done on 7mm live steamers (not sure about outside gear of any kind, but I see no reason why not) it should be a practical proposition.

Actually fully operational "to scale" inside Stephensons's motion has been done on 7mm live steamers, in addition to scale outside joy valve gear, an A3 with prototypical conjugated valve gear - courtesy of the late Clarry Edwards. David Moore built a live steam Jubilee with scale working walchearts valve gear, a picture of which is on the front cover of the Guild's book on live steam.

It was done even before MRJ. in the days of Model Railway News using a separate  open framed motor to active the reverser on a 2-6-2 tank. Nothing new in  this world ;)

This was the S Scale Ivatt 2-6-2T referred to above built in about 1958 by John Noble (not Ian Pusey).  The loco still exists and two photos can be found on the SSMRS website in Gallery 22.  The valve gear still works, changing to suit the direction of travel..

Archived