End loading dock loading

fender

I'm thinking of incorporating an end loading dock on my layout and had a question about how they were used.

In cases where more than one wagon was being loaded, such as two or more road/rail milk tankers, cars or other vehicles, would it be possible to run them over consecutive wagons. i.e. three cars to be loaded, one to a wagon. they are driven on the first wagon, then over ramps onto the next etc. or would they have to shunt each wagon in to position individually to receive its load?

I mean, shunting them individually would be hopelessly inefficient, so I assume this was not the case, but then again lots of things weren't very efficient!

I should mention I'm talking about 50s/60s era and earlier. not using fancy Motorail terminals, just average end loading docks in your typical goods yard.

thanks. :)

Most vehicles used to carry motor-vehicles had fold-down flaps as part of the end-doors- these allow cars to be driven from one vehicle to the next. The only problem that sometimes arose is where the upper part of the doors were in two leaves, rather than four, and so couldn't be opened or closed when the vehicle was buffered-up to another one, 

Here's a link to a photo of Abingdon station, shewing a line of vans awaiting loading with MGs :-

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/a/abingdon/index10.shtml

• 2 weeks later...

Most vehicles used to carry motor-vehicles had fold-down flaps as part of the end-doors- these allow cars to be driven from one vehicle to the next. The only problem that sometimes arose is where the upper part of the doors were in two leaves, rather than four, and so couldn't be opened or closed when the vehicle was buffered-up to another one, 

Here's a link to a photo of Abingdon station, shewing a line of vans awaiting loading with MGs :-

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/a/abingdon/index10.shtml

So were the vans in this situation all uncoupled and separated slightly to allow the doors to be opened?  Were they recoupled to be loaded, or just buffered up and left with the brakes on?

funny how these things happen. just purchased Michael Welch's Southern Branch Lines and on page 102 there is a nice photo of several GUVs lined up at Oakhampton in exactly the manner described above (in case anyone interested has that book as well). :)

Archived