3CIG for sale

Hippo

I'm sure they'd have bought the recently scrapped Dean Forest vehicles if they needed anymore spares beyond the VOPs.

Chris

Interestingly, if you look at the link, the 'sale' below it (4CEP trailer) appears to have come about as Dartmoor Railway has acquired a VOP. Perhaps the Brighton Belle trust only raided one of the VOPs?

• RMweb Gold

Air only....makes it of limited appeal...to most steam railways even with a diesel hauled service you could only operate with air extension pipes in the absence of a 33 and 73....I assume this is amongst the slammers porterbrook sold for a £1 scrapping is difficult as well as I think they have some form of residual asbestos contamination.

Interestingly, if you look at the link, the 'sale' below it (4CEP trailer) appears to have come about as Dartmoor Railway has acquired a VOP. Perhaps the Brighton Belle trust only raided one of the VOPs?

Partly correct, they have kept the Motor coach from one VOP and disposed of the other 3 carriages for preservation.It is the motor components that the BEL team are after (now they have the bufferbeams ect from the 4cig) so the rest of the coaches are not required

Partly correct, they have kept the Motor coach from one VOP and disposed of the other 3 carriages for preservation.It is the motor components that the BEL team are after (now they have the bufferbeams ect from the 4cig) so the rest of the coaches are not required

Indeed, as detailed in the December 2013 Pullman & CIWL News:

"...A number of other heritage projects around the country have already benefited from free issue of components from the

stripped VOPs, including the Bluebell Railway’s former SWT "celebrity" unit 3417. The VEP is currently stored

in Clapham Junction yard with a broken pick-up shoe which we have been able to replace. We have also

offered three complete trailers - almost a unit - to one restoration group."

Chris

Indeed, as detailed in the December 2013 Pullman & CIWL News:

"...A number of other heritage projects around the country have already benefited from free issue of components from the

stripped VOPs, including the Bluebell Railway’s former SWT "celebrity" unit 3417. The VEP is currently stored

in Clapham Junction yard with a broken pick-up shoe which we have been able to replace. We have also

offered three complete trailers - almost a unit - to one restoration group."

Chris

It's good that various other pres groups around the country have benefited from the VOPs, but to me it'll always be a shame that poor 1881, One of the last if not the last original 4 CIG had to come first before the VOPs, which were to me an even lesser glamorous VEP. I suppose it's good to see the VOP (or 3 coaches of it anyway)  preserved but with 1881, the Great Centrals former 4 BIG, the 3 or 4 various CIG vehicles from the Dean Forest and now possibly 1498 (that MBSO must look rather juicy to RVEL) in either other forms or lost forever I do think we need to get a move on and save of what's left of the former Southern Region EMU fleet while we can. Whilst the Bluebell / SEGs 3417 has benefitted, I think that's going to be one of the next ones to need some attention - most notably to it's interior considering it's been left standing outside for quite some considerable time, and those VEPs weren't exactly the most shall we say Water / Damp Proof.

Archived