Converting RTR Hornby Star to P4 (or EM)

I am thinking of attempting this project.  There is a very useful pdf produced by AG (Colin Seymour) which you can download from the catalogue here

http://www.alangibsonworkshop.com/Hornby%20GWR%20Star%20EM%20Finescale%20Conversion.pdf

On the sixth page there is a photo of the frame and mechanism and the cover one has to remove clearly must block any daylight under the boiler.  I don't suppose this matters too much, as there is not much of that to be seen anyway behind the splashers.  I have one question to those of you who may already possess one.  What is that 'thing' that sticks up above the frame just behind the leading driver?

As an aside, I am surprised Hornby did not produce, as one of its first examples, a 'bog standard' Star as they would have looked with mods around 1925-1935.  This was in their prime, and when they dominated express work on the Main Line.  The new one in the 'WW1' set (chortle - I bet Tommy Atkins would have liked to have travelled in a set as posh as that) has an engine 'Princess Alice' which conforms but has the wrong markings for the 1930s.  Not a big deal and easily altered, except why don't they make the engine available separately?  Perhaps we will see that later on.

I am thinking of attempting this project.  There is a very useful pdf produced by AG (Colin Seymour) which you can download from the catalogue here

http://www.alangibsonworkshop.com/Hornby%20GWR%20Star%20EM%20Finescale%20Conversion.pdf

On the sixth page there is a photo of the frame and mechanism and the cover one has to remove clearly must block any daylight under the boiler.  I don't suppose this matters too much, as there is not much of that to be seen anyway behind the splashers.  I have one question to those of you who may already possess one.  What is that 'thing' that sticks up above the frame just behind the leading driver?

As an aside, I am surprised Hornby did not produce, as one of its first examples, a 'bog standard' Star as they would have looked with mods around 1925-1935.  This was in their prime, and when they dominated express work on the Main Line.  The new one in the 'WW1' set (chortle - I bet Tommy Atkins would have liked to have travelled in a set as posh as that) has an engine 'Princess Alice' which conforms but has the wrong markings for the 1930s.  Not a big deal and easily altered, except why don't they make the engine available separately?  Perhaps we will see that later on.

I would have thought 1925-1935 was after their prime as they were being displaced by the Castles. The GWR had started to withdraw them by the early 1930s.

Well, you may be right, but add up the number of 4073 in service in 1930 and the number of 40xx.  (Not every train was the Limited).  However, that is by the way, as I wrote.  If you have any idea about the question I asked, then I will be most grateful.

Just a follow up on my question; I got advice on Scalefour that the 'thing' over the leading driver could be a weight.  Sounds possible.  Does anyone have a Hornby Star?  Have they sold so few?

Archived