Heljan replacement wheels... BACK IN STOCK

simplex

• 9 months later...

Quick update.

I have just emailed Heljan directly. Again. Have tried Howes again and they still insist that the inserts fit. I don't fancy going the Ultrascale route. It would cost over £100 and I'm not sure some of my fiddleyard track is suitable for finescale.

So is there a way forward for us original Heljan Western owners?

D

https://www.ultrascale.com/eshop/products/view/CAT007/347. £34.91 per set and a 6 month waiting list. I do wonder why they don't keep a few sets of the popular items in stock, maybe someone can tell me?

Edit: Had a reply to say 'on holiday' will re-email after 27th. If I don't get a suitable reply, my 3 will be put on ebay to finance a couple of Dapol ones.

Ordered a set of Alan Gibson Western wheels. Unfortunately these have 8 holes, but an hour's work sorted that. Unlike the Ultrascale ones, they come without gears, but not a major job to get the old ones off the Heljan axles.

post-15-0-56569000-1437459846_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-92129400-1437459854_thumb.jpg

Also took the opportunity to fit the brake rigging. A bit of a botch this.

post-15-0-97197000-1437459874_thumb.jpg

Cut the spigot back by 2mm to get the pads more or less in line with the wheels and replaced to connecting (pull?) rods with 0-9mm plastruct. Didn't modify the central ones as this would require major surgery.

EDIT:

If you go this route, you will have to tweak the pick-ups a fair amount.

Archived