Figures and other accessories

Il Grifone

| have a Mastermodels girder bridge,i think i bought it in the 1950`s,can`t remember the price.I`ll see if i can dig it out & post a pic.

Ray.

IIRC it varied between 10/6 and 11/3 - way beyond pocket money prices (at least mine!).

The Crescent signals were possibly old stock, as I believe production ceased in the sixties (I might be wrong on this). Better things were available (Ratio and K's for example).

My boyhood railway boasted a MM 'Gents' (3/6 IIRC). I couldn't resist adding a Dublo figure as a client! - one of those items that disappeared, probably thrown out, though I can't think why, as it is a perfectly acceptable scenic item even by today's standards.

• RMweb Premium

I have a Dinky Toys 'Railway Station Personnel' set No. 059 that consists of 12 plastic pieces vis. A porter and barrow, a mobile newsstand and lady attendant,  a buffet trolley and attendant, a man and bicycle and four items of luggage. These are 00 scale but there is no mention of Hornby Dublo or even Dinky Dublo on the packaging though they are obviously intended for model railways.

I have a Dinky Toys 'Railway Station Personnel' set No. 059 that consists of 12 plastic pieces vis. A porter and barrow, a mobile newsstand and lady attendant, a buffet trolley and attendant, a man and bicycle and four items of luggage. These are 00 scale but there is no mention of Hornby Dublo or even Dinky Dublo on the packaging though they are obviously intended for model railways.

Meccano's figures were all 'Dinky Toys' for some reason. This set is quite rare (as are all the plastic figures) and expensive to buy. (Tri-ang's even more so!). Sales were probably poor as Airfix would sell you lots of figures (in a nasty paint resistant plastic) for only 2/-. Even the quite common 00 metal figures command a price (around £2 each usually) and the 0 gauge ones considerably more.

Only a few Dinky Toys are model railway scale. The Dublo Dinkys are 4mm scale, as are the 29 series buses and coaches. The 'Forward Control Lorry' is 1:72 and passable (Though rather long, like the Dublo Bedford Flat lorry (to take the overlength containers*). Most of the cars are a little too small for 7mm. (Dinky vehicles were scaled to fit the box, as far as I can see - like Matchbox and Corgi.)

I've seen the 35 series MG and Austin Sevens and even the 36g Taxi recommended as suitable for 00 unfortunately they are too large, especially the taxi.

*These containers are rather a mystery to me. Why did they retool the wagon underframe in a new longer length, when a new body on the existing one was all that was necessary. Making the containers the correct length would have used less material and thus have been cheaper. (we'll leave aside the awful paper lithos on a block of wood construction - even Trix had produced a diecast one pre-war). This also required the ridiculously overlength Bedford lorry to accommodate them.

'Fit the box' is true of most Dinky Toys pre-1965, but once Meccano Ltd were taken over by Lines Brothers, the latter wound down production of 'Spot-On' toy cars and sent the tools off to New Zealand. Spot-On's USP had been the use of a constant scale, the slightly bizarre 1/42 (almost 0 gauge). From 1965 this scale was adopted by most new Dinky cars and quite a few of the lorries - it's the period of plastic detailing features and opening parts which represents a schism amongst many collectors, The 1/42 scale was used right up until the TR7 was released in 1975, when a larger 1/35 scale as adopted but only used on 4 models (Princess, Volvo 240, Jaguar XJ5.3C and Rover 3500) plus the tooled but unreleased Granada MkII.

• 2 years later...

A pair of Master Models ground signals, purchased with my pocket money in Bridlington about 50 years ago. Slightly worried that I can remember that detail. They still have working springs -a testament to their construction.

And a yard lamp - Trix? - no idea where that came from, though my mother did have a dreadful jumble sale habit.

post-28730-0-75176200-1461337091_thumb.jpg

post-28730-0-13409700-1461337120_thumb.jpg

I remember the shunting signals (2/6d IIRC and rather overscale) and can confirm that the yard lamp is Trix. The undersized base means that they fall over at the least provocation. The bulb is 12/14V 75mA L.E.S. Modern replacements are usually 50mA (Dolls house accessories  :secret: ). A LED can also be used....

If you're into Trix, as well as the yard lamp, I also have this very sad looking Manyways clock tower, steps and building (only 50% of the red windows are with it) needing some tlc. Not using them, had them sitting around for yonks, so free to anyone who could use them.

post-28730-0-92592400-1461341276.jpg

Thanks for the offer! Unfortunately, Yorkshire is rather far away...

I think there are only eight windows with the station building - the platform side doesn't need any and likewise the entrance under the clock tower. They may have supplied some spares, but I can't remember - it was a long time ago I bought mine, it must have been around 1955/6. Obviously, it has long since lost all of its windows.....  It was many years before I discovered that the roof comes off and you don't have to spring the windows in......  :O :scratchhead:

My clock tower still shows the scars from my juvenile attempts to remove the 'TTR'. Not then having a decent file, I failed to make much headway. Luckily 'seeing the light' came before the decent file!

• RMweb Premium

A pair of Master Models ground signals, purchased with my pocket money in Bridlington about 50 years ago. Slightly worried that I can remember that detail. They still have working springs -a testament to their construction.

And a yard lamp - Trix? - no idea where that came from, though my mother did have a dreadful jumble sale habit.

Most definitely Trix.

Most definitely Trix.

This motor is also most definitely Trix - all that remains of a plastic three rail Jinty 0-6-0 sort of thing I had in the Sixties which never really worked well on my Hornby 3 rail. Still works too - just tested it.

post-28730-0-56552800-1461356602_thumb.jpg

This motor is also most definitely Trix - all that remains of a plastic three rail Jinty 0-6-0 sort of thing I had in the Sixties which never really worked well on my Hornby 3 rail. Still works too - just tested it.

That would have been the Trix E2. The motor was fitted to most (all?) of the Trix DC range and is almost indestructible.

That would have been the Trix E2. The motor was fitted to most (all?) of the Trix DC range and is almost indestructible.

Wow - you guys are good at this.

Here is a OO/HO metal sleeper-built buffer stop - no identifying marks. One pin fixing lug at the rear and two pin lug at the front. Thoughts?

post-28730-0-46672300-1461399277_thumb.jpg

I've got a couple of those. One is made of lead and came with a chunk missing from the front fixing lug - careful restoration with solder cured that. All hidden by a new coat of black paint. The other is green and mazak IIRC, but I've put it away somewhere and  can't check  :scratchhead:. I'm not 100% sure of the make, but I think they are Mastermodels. As stated in the previous post they were certainly in their catalogue.

That site is very useful.

I've always said I wouldn't collect these things, but nevertheless I have managed to acquire quite a lot of them.....

Britains Lilliput on the other hand.....  (These were originally intended as Trix accessories - the Station Staff and Passengers at least.)

I have a green hydraulic stop, which I think is also Mastermodels. Does anyone know? The base appears to be cast to fit over the connecting tab and fishplate of Dublo 3 rail track, without actually connecting. I should have two, but one got lost in the post!

Archived