Half dead DCC sound decoder?

Reorte

• RMweb Premium

I'd fitted a sound decoder to a Bachmann Jubilee but after, erm, an unfortunate accident the sound no longer works (I've checked the speaker and that's fine at least). I would grudgingly put up with that since it still moves, but somewhat erratically. The erratic movement could be due to damage but the decoder is also getting very hot (can feel it through the boiler and smokebox where it lurks) - I've not found anything that seems to be mis-connected or shorting out though. I suppose the obvious thing to do (for the motion part) is to remove the decoder and see how it goes on DC. Could I have done something that would make the decoder half work but cook?

What was the nature of the "accident"?

It is possible to cook part of a decoder - I have seen decoders where motor control works but not lights and vice versa.

If the loco has had a knock or fall then erratic movement and heating may be caused by a mechanical issue such as misaligned running gear, binding of motion, etc.

When you say you have checked the speaker, do you mean you have somehow got sound out of it or rather that it looks to be properly connected and physically undamaged?

Running on DC is always a useful check method for mechanical problems and I would agree it is worth a try first to possibly rule that out.

• RMweb Premium

The accident was a fall after leaning across and catching the loco on a sleeve, tumbling it to the floor (luckily carpeted). A real cringe moment, although very luckily the damage seems minimal.

I've tried it on DC and it moves as well as it used to. Back to DCC and it moves rather jerkily, as if it keeps losing power.

I checked the speaker by connecting it to my MP3 player, and had a bit of (somewhat tinny) music.

Archived