Fowler 2P passenger coaches

• 1 month later...

I've been trying to do some research on this as well, not at all successfully, The colour seems clear but the types of coaches less so. I read somewhere that most of the blue period coaches were scrapped quickly after grouping. Assume these were replaced by older LMS patterns. There are some kits available in OO (Roxey) and I saw some others a few years ago but not recently for S&D types. I'll post what I find here as this question has been asked several times on her over the years

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Mitchell & Smith's 'Burnham to Evercreech Junction' shows a train at West Pennard in 1934 with 3F 3201 hauling two S&D coaches and two Midland clerestory coaches. There is also a photo of 1370 crossing the B&E line at Highbridge with a couple of ex-S&D coaches, in 1935. So some ex-S&D stock survived into the 30s. Whether they would have been used on the Bath to Bournemouth line with 2Ps is another matter.

...I read somewhere that most of the blue period coaches were scrapped quickly after grouping...

The years around the grouping were significant for the Somerset and Dorset in legal terms with changes of the identity and status of the companies involved, but liveries stayed the same until 1930. Locos then passed to LMS stock and were repainted over a few years in LMS black. According to Robin Atthill, the coaches were repainted in SR green, though I don't recall seeing any photos where a difference between the colours of LMS and ex-S&D coaches was apparent. Most of the goods stock, except for a few opens, and not including brake vans or engineers stock had already been divided between the LSWR and MR in 1914.

Nick

In "Portrait of the Pines Express" by Stephen Austin there is a photo of S&DJR 2P No. 46 in blue livery at Bournemouth waiting to leave with the Pines express c.1928. The stock is in LMS Livery and is either Midland or early LMS. The 2P was nearly new at the time so was more likely to be used on inter-regional services with big four stock rather than local services using S&DJR Stock.

Other 1920's shots show a mixture of clerestory and elliptical roof Midland stock on inter regional services.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure I've seen photos of exSDJR bogie stock in Southern livery – the photos were in B&W of course but I assumed the coaches had been repainted (green) as well as relettered.

When the S&DJR lost it's separate identity in 1930 the coaching stock was evenly divided between the LMS & SR, but within a couple of years it all soon went for scrap. So yes it was possible that some photos are around.

http://www.sdjr.net/sd_coaches.html

Archived