Hornby's Best Ever Models

robmcg

As the powers that be won't let me have access to my intellectual property within that thread, here will have to do ;)

While the Hornby's Best Ever Models title doesn't necessarily apply (before people through up their arms in disgust), I think the term Hornby's Best Ever Railroad Model is a far more accurate description in the P2's case.

attachicon.gifcotn_rhran.jpg

I can imagine this engine in near darkness speeding past in a panned shot, the blurred foreground etc and hope you won't mind if I have a go at that sometime this week. Smoke and steam pouring back, hiding any errors I make of course.

Starting from here;

post-7929-0-82975400-1411341991_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

like this... ?

post-7929-0-63965600-1411353416_thumb.jpg

Amazingly good for a RR model at well under £80 and beautifully weathered , who would have thought such a fine model could be produced for this price, given cost inflation.

Cheers,

Rob

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 8

Another Hornby model from this week, Castle class 5075 'Wellington' together with Hawksworths bought from Hong Kong seller at a good price £25 or so each, a very slight bend in running board removed with photo-trickery, only visible when to my eye when photographed, but if it had been bought in a local shop I might have asked for another. It's not all that easy to find currently.

In looking at the details of this model, which of course are more accurately done in general than a current King class, I noticed the King has a lower slidebar support, the Castle doesn't, and the paintwork on both is superb. The Hawsworths are beautiful.

A nice 1948-era atmosphere I think, apologies if you have seen this pic in Lunester Lounge.

post-7929-0-03239900-1411619538_thumb.jpg

Rob

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I am dithering over a purchase of this paricular Castle as the tender lettering and crest make my eyes go misty as a representation of a Castle of my childhood....this one "copped" way back in my short -trousered days. Rob....you are pushing me closer to tipping point. i really mustn't...?

I had to buy mine because I grew up in Wellington, here in NZ. Good enough reason for me.

It's a lovely model, the slight running-board bends don't worry me. I think they would respond to careful reassembly of body-to-chassis anyway.

I know you are a rational and astute person, so enjoy it when you do cave in. :)

I'm going to photograph a King today with the same Hawksworths, so it can be as if the train, like several on the GWR/WR had the Castles only when below 11-total, or whatever the limit was for the smaller engines unaided on certain services.

Then I shall be waiting for the new (trainset, engine only) Bachmann Midland Compound 1000 in Crimson Lake, and I will then know nothing of Swindon!

Best,

Rob

edit experimenting with link to page where I just loaded Hornby King pic;

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67999-lunester-lounge/?p=1603048

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 3

Moving well away from Castle class locos, a new model from Hornby, the A3 60103 'Flying Scotsman' in 1963 guise, seen here with many and various small changes to the weathering, done by editing, but not a lot, and express lamps added for a dubious weekend excursion train perhaps (what else were A3s used for by 1963? Failed diesels..?)

post-7929-0-65817300-1412212121_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Rob

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 5

Moving well away from Castle class locos, a new model from Hornby, the A3 60103 'Flying Scotsman' in 1963 guise, seen here with many and various small changes to the weathering, done by editing, but not a lot, and express lamps added for a dubious weekend excursion train perhaps (what else were A3s used for by 1963? Failed diesels..?)

attachicon.gif60103_A3_portrait4_1963_2ab_crop1_r1200.jpg

Cheers,

Rob

Hi Rob,

This loco looks brilliant and your pics are up to the usual high standard expected, you never dissapoint, one query though, has the plug type connecter between the loco and tender been improved so that there is no necessity to unplug these two units when putting it back in the box,  I only ask because there is some confusion between members views on this ????

Best wishes

Mark

I don't know about best model but i have to say two of my Hornby A4's passed the Grandchildren Test this summer with flying colours.  My layout is about 40' by 12' or a total length of about 105' for a single circuit.  Over the course of visits from two sets of Grandchildren each must have done about 40 circuits hauling 9 Bachmann Mk1s (one on the up and one on the down).  Sometimes the running was smooth sometimes it wasn't!  But they performed flawlessly and still are performing after the departure of said Grandchildren.  It was interesting too in that they were given the choices of a Deltic, A3 A2 and A1, but they all wanted the A4.    

• Like 1

Hi Rob,

has the plug type connecter between the loco and tender been improved so that there is no necessity to unplug these two units when putting it back in the box,  I only ask because there is some confusion between members views on this ????

Best wishes

Mark

Definitely connected as delivered, as with several recent Hornby models with plastic moulded storage/shipment housings. It's still the same design of fiddly connector though, I think.  So no, there is no necessity to mess with it when returning it to its box.

I notice with the main range CotN P2 it comes already connected with a two-position drawbar set to the wider setting, and it won't go back into its housing on the closer setting, which is a mild nuisance, since it requires removal-replacement of small cross-head screw to alter the setting. At least when you are ham fisted like me it's a mild nuisance... 

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Bulleid light Pacific's certainly are a very popular loco...

Making a fleeting appearance here (sans nameplates) is the 110th member of the class to grace my workbench over the last 5 and half years - 34013 Okehampton 

It seems fitting that the last unique renumbering of one, uses an Ottery St Mary as a donor, just like the first...

post-7000-0-04912900-1412629191_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed these Bulleids of one type or another might be very much in the 'best of' Hornby's production.

In the last few days I received Hornby's weathered A3 60103 'Flying Scotsman' as well as a trainpack containing Merchant Navy 35021 'New Zealand Line'. These do rather represent the Hornby super-detail era, and make an interesting comparison.

The MN was tooled up in 2000. 35021 made c2004. The A3 was tooled up in 2006? 60103 made in a different factory, not Sanda Kan, this year.

Apologies for differences in camera angles and perspective. The MN has a slightly bent running board over the valve gear, and as mentioned elsewhere the A3 has a mismatched or poorly assembled front boiler band, not visible from this side.

post-7929-0-49246000-1413409444_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-55164300-1413409390_thumb.jpg

I think both models are superb, but I have always been biased towards Bulleid. The Light Pacific in toboldlygo's post above this is perhaps a better match for the A3.

Since I always 'fix' my pictures, here is 35021 with some errors removed. A3 will follow in due course.

post-7929-0-48209500-1413412809_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Rob

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

Good grief that's ten years ago. Where are the improvements since then?

I have always liked Hornby's presentation of the A3 with most detail parts factory-fitted, which shows how lazy I am. A few compromises around the front of the bogie but otherwise surely a contender for Hornby's best?

I was happy to receive a rare NRM 'flown-in'? 60103 from Hornby dot com at £128 too, the boiler mismatch on the l/h side mentioned in another thread I have emailed Hornby for advice, since they possibly cannot replace the model at the moment. I'm mainly concerned that its re-sale value is poor.

I was going to say that Hornby still haven't got it perfect, but what manufacturer has at these prices?

Rob

at risk of causing complete Gresley overload, here are two pics of the A3 showing the faulty boiler ring. One with a point-and-shoot Canon SX150is and one with an EOS-M APS-C 18MP mirrorless, similar setting, similar but not identical lighting.

Below, 1st, the 'cheap' £100 Canon SX150is camera, f8, 1SO 80, 0.8sec, lens at approx. 28mm.

post-7929-0-91208100-1413414075_thumb.jpg

now below the new EOS-M camera F32, ISO 100, 5sec, 18-55mm lens set at 45mm.

post-7929-0-28184800-1413414174_thumb.jpg

note; both the above pics are from two pics each with different focus zones, the join between the two being around middle of boiler. Each pic is 4300-5400 pixels wide from the camera, reduced to 1200 here and sharpened.

Please note also that for the first pic the chimney is askew, it pushed back into place ok for the 2nd pic, it was not because of my handling, the boiler band mismatch does not go back into place. The model was handled gently by me at all times, I suspect an impact before or during assembly. Packaging is all perfect.

Edited by robmcg

Hi

Sorry Rob I would send that back, also have you noticed the running plate has a dip in it as well.

Darren

Yes, but I thought the running plate warp was so common they might think it 'normal', or 'reasonable'.

I have emailed them with a photo to ask what they think I could do, it's my first purchase from them since they started selling direct. I shall be requesting the option of replacement, although I'm not sure who will pay the air freight back to the UK at around £20., nor if they have any in stock. It is no.65 of 1,000. I will request a refund if they cannot replace it.

What I DO NOT want to do is send it back at my expense and then wait six months for a new one without a written promise to replace it or refund my £128 + reasonable postage, or compliance at least with whatever consumer law applies in this case.

Rob

edit; also the Castle I showed in msg.480 with running plate warps fixed by editing, this was from a shop, I forget which, and it's another virtually unobtainable model from Hornby's recent offerings which I probably should have sent back. The warps were similar in the GWR Star I had too, not sure how fussy one can afford to be with web purchases from 12,000 miles away.

Edit 2; the lubricator above the front driver is bent inwards too... sigh

Edit 3; the l/h deflector is slightly down at front. Am I being unreasonable? And the Castle had a crushed front top lamp bracket and smokebox handles... but they bent back to about halfway right...

Given that I have the ability to 'fix' these things in photos it doesn't concern me greatly, EXCEPT that resale value is greatly diminished.

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Gold

I'll be interested in what Hornby's response to this will be.....if indeed there IS any. Recently,I know of one case of a new HST  (newly released batch ) returned to Margate as 'not fit for purpose' a while back.No response thus far,as far as I'm aware.

The underlying problem is that they arrive from China in penny numbers from a producer which is slow to get itself up to speed and the margin for error with regard to rejects is slim.So you cross your fingers and wait for the next boat.QC issues are alive and well,it seems. Look on the P2 thread and you'll read of power train problems.

However,Hornby are not unique in this. Heljan's B.G.has big problems too. Sorry,if off topic.

• RMweb Premium

Good grief that's ten years ago. Where are the improvements since then?

Not may Rob, but I would say in the area of the valve gear.  At the time the A3 came out, I thought the Hornby valve gear and motion was rather 'one dimensional' compared with Bachmann's contemporary offerings (e.g. A1) on which the various components looked like forgings, castings etc. compared with the Hornby equivalents which tend to look like flat etchings.  But that's perhaps being a bit nit picking; the proportions and body detailing of the A3 still stand comparison with the latest, and I think Hornby have generally caught up now.

Looking at Rob's 60103 in the pictures, it also seems to have suffered a slight 'ding' to the front corner of the running plate on the left hand (driver's) side, although the steps, buffers and lamp irons in that area look perfectly OK.  Perhaps actually not unrealistic for an engine in that condition!

• RMweb Gold

Finally 110....

post-7000-0-35437000-1413482847_thumb.jpg

After Okehampton any Bullied Light Pacific I do will be a repeat!!

In the meantime there's a few things of an Eastern persuasion waiting in the wings, including an A3, a L1 and this recently completed B1...

post-7000-0-38278100-1413482887_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I'll be interested in what Hornby's response to this will be.....if indeed there IS any. Recently,I know of one case of a new HST  (newly released batch ) returned to Margate as 'not fit for purpose' a while back.No response thus far,as far as I'm aware.

The underlying problem is that they arrive from China in penny numbers from a producer which is slow to get itself up to speed and the margin for error with regard to rejects is slim.So you cross your fingers and wait for the next boat.QC issues are alive and well,it seems. Look on the P2 thread and you'll read of power train problems.

However,Hornby are not unique in this. Heljan's B.G.has big problems too. Sorry,if off topic.

Not off-topic at all Ian. The QC issues facing all the manufacturers of RTR 00 are looming large, and it is almost as if receiving an item fit for purpose is the exception rather than the rule, or else we have too-high expectations for the price.

My email was to customer care so should get a response eventually.

Here is the text;

>>Dear Madam/Sir,

I purchased R3202 A3 Flying Scotsman weathered 1963 version off you on 27 Sept 2014 by PayPal. Delivery to NZ was fast thankyou.

Invoice ID: ....... ......

and unfortunately although the box is unmarked and undamaged it has a fault, the assembly and/or manufacture of the boiler is poor, attached photo showing the 2nd ring of the boiler is mis-matched, the handrail pushed in.

I know it looks like a small thing but it is rather annoying once you see it, it also makes it hard or impossible to re-sell .

Could you advise what I could do?

Kind regards,

etc<<

Edited by robmcg

Looking at Rob's 60103 in the pictures, it also seems to have suffered a slight 'ding' to the front corner of the running plate on the left hand (driver's) side, although the steps, buffers and lamp irons in that area look perfectly OK.  Perhaps actually not unrealistic for an engine in that condition!

Yes I didn't see that. Maybe the parts used for assembly are dropped or roughly handled. They are not overly obvious to the naked eye, but I don't think that excuses it. The warping and general errors on the heavy GWR tank engines was supposed to be a low point, but it looks more like a norm to me. Bachmann and Heljan are not immune either. It does rather become a broader subject though, higher price for better quality, or current price and sheer luck... ?

Finally 110....

attachicon.gif34013_rhfan.jpg

After Okehampton any Bullied Light Pacific I do will be a repeat!!

In the meantime there's a few things of an Eastern persuasion waiting in the wings, including an A3, a L1 and this recently completed B1...

attachicon.gif61097_lhfan.jpg

Both beautiful, toboldlygo! Excellent! And both could easily be described as Hornby's 'best ever' , depending on your region-of-preference.

Rob

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

The Bulleid Light Pacific certainly does sit high on the list of 'best ever' here is my photo of a linesideandloco weathered version..

below that a Clan from the same source. I think the price paid for each in the £150 area was fair.

post-7929-0-58423000-1413581302_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-80662100-1414026889_thumb.jpg

Rob

edit, apologies just put a sharper version of the Clan up.

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1