Dreadnoughts 4mm Toplights or Panelled Over?

I have been in discussion with Allen Doherty of Worsley Works in relation to his new range of 4mm Dreadnought body kits. I am sure most of us are aware that the CPL/Hayes kits are still available (I have several myself).Here is an opportunity for the GWR modelers to have a say on the final version of the D42, C24 and E77 body kits. I have suggested that to avoid un-necessary duplication that the Worsley Works be produced as a later post mid 1930's condition with the toplights plated over. This should be of greater interest to the many post war GWR/WR modelers I follow on RMweb.

Full details in the Worsely Works thread here and of a, previously unavailable, Dreadnought buffet/tea car.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82991-worsely-works-dreadnoughts/

Mike Wiltshire

post-9992-0-41230200-1393752544.jpg

post-9992-0-96283700-1393752980.jpg

post-9992-0-11584100-1393753048.jpg

I have been in discussion with Allen Doherty of Worsley Works in relation to his new range of 4mm Dreadnought body kits. I am sure most of us are aware that the CPL/Hayes kits are still available (I have several myself).Here is an opportunity for the GWR modelers to have a say on the final version of the D42, C24 and E77 body kits. I have suggested that to avoid un-necessary duplication that the Worsley Works be produced as a later post mid 1930's condition with the toplights plated over. This should be of greater interest to the many post war GWR/WR modelers I follow on RMweb.

Full details in the Worsely Works thread here and of a, previously unavailable, Dreadnought buffet/tea car.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82991-worsely-works-dreadnoughts/

Mike Wiltshire

I would have thought providing separate plates etch and leaving it to the customer would be more likely to reach a maximum market.  I suppose that goes for all toplights.  I notice that Mr Worsley provides 'reverse engineering' etches for Comet vehicles that have sliding toplights. 

Hi Mike

Are these coaches run of the mill stock that would end up anywhere on the western system, as the mid 1930's suits my modelling time span?.

They were very wide so would have been confined to the GWR main lines for most/all of their lives. This limited availability was presumably the reason for the production of the 'Concertina' stock.

Dreadnoughts were mainline vehicles only with the odd exceptions, ST Ives branch etc. Brandings included “Not to run between Birmingham and Stourbridge (only until 1908); Not to work over Eastern and Western Valleys, north of Wolverhampton and Hereford, between Little Mill and Maindee Junctions”.  ‘Not to work North of Saltney Junction’ was added during 1945.

Concertina's were introduced due to the 'unpopularity' of the Dreadnoughts. Passengers had become used to doors to every compartment and the congestion with only three doors per side and negotiating corridors to exit, was not a new and pleasant experience. It took unitl the mid 1930's before end/middle door access was tried again.

Dreadnoughts, especially the H8-H10 diners, remained in front line service until the early 1950's. Pre War, it was not uncommon to find single coaches, usually a C24, at the head of a train as a strengthener for busy periods.

Mike Wiltshire

They were very wide so would have been confined to the GWR main lines for most/all of their lives. This limited availability was presumably the reason for the production of the 'Concertina' stock.

Apparently it was consumer dissatisfaction. The travelling public didn't like Churchward's forward-thinking design with lack of direct access to each compartment on the 'Dreadnoughts', and the 'Concertinas' were introduced to address this. They were also wide (and long at 70'), necessitating the (undoubtedly expensive) insets in the side to accommodate the doors. By the time the 'Centenary' stock was introduced, they had been 'broken in'.

IIRC all these coaches were restricted to GWR main lines only.

Apparently it was consumer dissatisfaction. The travelling public didn't like Churchward's forward-thinking design with lack of direct access to each compartment on the 'Dreadnoughts', and the 'Concertinas' were introduced to address this. They were also wide (and long at 70'), necessitating the (undoubtedly expensive) insets in the side to accommodate the doors. By the time the 'Centenary' stock was introduced, they had been 'broken in'.

IIRC all these coaches were restricted to GWR main lines only.

And not all the GWR main lines: they were'nt allowed on the South Wales main line. Not sure what the problem was, as most if not all of it was ex-BG.

Mark

Mike Wiltshire

FWIW, yes, I'd prefer the toplights plated over as well.

And not all the GWR main lines: they were'nt allowed on the South Wales main line. Not sure what the problem was, as most if not all of it was ex-BG.

Mark

The restrictions changed over time. I am looking at several images in Great Western Pictorial No2 of Dreadnoughts west of Cardiff. I am pleased I actually looked as I have just found a train that includes the camera shy D42/H2 Dreadnought Buffet Brake third in a Pembroke Dock - Paddington train.

Mike Wiltshire

The restrictions changed over time. I am looking at several images in Great Western Pictorial No2 of Dreadnoughts west of Cardiff. I am pleased I actually looked as I have just found a train that includes the camera shy D42/H2 Dreadnought Buffet Brake third in a Pembroke Dock - Paddington train.

That Dreadnought was presumably attached at Swansea. I can't imagine they were allowed on the Pembroke branch.

That Dreadnought was presumably attached at Swansea. I can't imagine they were allowed on the Pembroke branch.

It could also have been added at Carmarthen. Along with Swansea, trains had to reverse and often changed engines with extra stock added at the same time.

Mike Wiltshire

• 4 weeks later...

I received, from Worsley Works, etchings for the Dreadnought H2 Tea/Buffet brake conversion of the D42 Brake third. Added bonus was it comes with a full etched floor/truss rodding. The conversion is a standard D42 with extra doors and rearrange panelling around the kitchen section.

post-9992-0-51500200-1396872779_thumb.jpg

It assembles with out any issues and Worsely Works have thought about ease of construction with alignment holes for the recessed doors. Just put a couple of pins through the holes and the doors are held in correct position for fixing.

post-9992-0-50470600-1396872784_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-32467200-1396872788_thumb.jpg

The H2 coach is not listed on the website but is available at the same price as the others listed. I was always somewhat sceptical of the existence of this coach. I had seen plans etc but never a photograph. When I started looking more closely Page 41 lower of Great Western Pictorial No 2 shows this coach as fourth vehicle in the train

The D42 and C24 are available with the later bottom panel arrangement of one single, uninterupted panel. The Haye Developments D42, C42 and H8 are all etched in as built condition with all the vertical panel beading. Unfortunately, these were all removed very early in their lives. In addition, Worsley can also produce with the toplights removed. I have a couple of the unbuilt 1900's style Hayes, but I shall replace them with the Worsley Works etches which are more appropriate for my 1930's layout.

Mike Wiltshire

I suppose if one files off the vertical beading, it unfortunately will leave a gap in the horizontal beading - have I got that right Mike (@Coach bogie)? 

I have delayed replying until I had seen a finished model where he had filed them off. With minature files and in flat etch form it can be done without disturbing the horizontal beading. I am told not the easiest job and the panels are not flat, but then neither was the real thing. this was on the C24 which has even more verticals than the break. Too much like hard work for me. If Worsley are offering without the verticals, I will take the easy way out and buy the Worsley etches.

Mike Wiltshire

Archived