Sealing the baseboard

F2Andy

I sealed my boards with 2 coats of water based interior Dulux paint, both on top and underneath, in an effort to stop the wood absorbing any moisture and leading to possible warping, but then I was using 4mm ply for the tops and so I thought I'd better take more precaution than usual.

Regards

Hector

• RMweb Premium

I tend to go for white paint underneath (makes it easier to see the wiring) and a mucky dark colour for the top. I don't have a preference for brands as the cheap stuff works just as well inside. 

Mickey - I used 4mm ply mainly for reduced weight. My layout is on two levels, scenic on top with storage roads underneath. I also wanted to be able to dismantle and possibly transport the layout if necessary and using thicker ply such as 9mm or larger would have made a 2-level board too heavy. 

Hector

Thanks for the relies, I will give the boarsds a paint. They will live in the garage, so damp is a concern.

Consider using "kitchen and bathroom" paint for a garage stored layout. I used ordinary emulsion to seal undersides of baseboards and still had some problems with mould.

Regards.

Archived