RMweb

Australia - Modern Scene

Gwiwer

In the old days (1960s and '70s), the Sunlander passed through Denison Street in daylight (I lived in Rocky for just on eight years). I have no idea of current timetables but I would not be surprised to find that passenger trains do still run through during daylight hours.

The diesel tilt train passes through in the middle of the night. The northbound Sunlander passes through in the evening and in summer it is still light at that time. Unfortunately the Sunlander disappears for good in 7 weeks.

Cheers

Davidt

CBH - presumably a grain train?

Sorry, should have put some details.

Yes a grain train at Kwinana Grain Terminal AKA "the port" the loco's are motive power 2700 hp narrow gauge, they run Cummins Diesels.

Interestingly enough these are at the head of a rake of ex Westrail - XT and XU 19 tonners, currently being hired from Aurizon to supplement the CBH Wagons normally seen behind the CBH loco's.

• Like 1

2700 hp narrow gauge,

Wow! That is one heck of a statement! To someone like me who is used to overly "quaint" diddy little cutesy things running up Welsh mountains!*

The idea of that kind of horsepower and big trains, on narrow gauge really appeals to me!

Cheers,

John E.

*no disrespect to those who like that kind of thing, it's just not my cup of tea!

The 2800 class diesels in the video at the top of this page are 3190hp.

The GT42CU ACe used by Aurizon and Pacific National in Queensland (the last train in the same video) is 3300hp. The UGL PH37ACmai PowerHaul under construction is 3468hp.

GM-EMD built 3600hp diesels for Brazilian metre gauge back in 1970. Some video of the DDM45 here.

Some of the narrow gauge electric locos in Queensland and South Africa are well over 5000hp.

Cheers
David

The MP33cn over here is also 3300hp but cant go on 16t lines. apart from the 3'6" bogies and TM's they are virtually identical to the STD gauge  MP33C.

Some of Those South African Locos are monsters, they need to be with the length and tonnage they pull.

The CBH narrow gauge grainy's top out at about 1100m and about 4500 tonne but generally around the 900m 4000t mark. Depending on what lines they are out on.

STD gauge are generally a bit longer and heavier as you would expect.

The biggest hitters in WA are the STD Gauge C44aci that Aurizon and now Mineral Resources (via PacNat) run over here on the Kooly and Mt Walton Iron ore trains they come in at just over 4500 hp from memory. 

Aurizons biggest narrow gauge in WA are the GE 2500hp (ex WAGR) P class.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz_zps03bcc89a.jpg

Edited by The Blue Streak

Of course your absolutely right so Fair Call

I tend to forget about the stuff up North, it's a whole different ballgame up there. Like another world (and so far away).

I should get up there for a look !! But to be totally honest I'd rather see John E's  "quaint" diddy little cutesy things running up Welsh mountains!"

Edited by The Blue Streak
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A small heads up to all.

I have been informed that 42209, currently in store in Forrestfield, WA, is to be the first of the NSW 422 Class locomotives to be cut up. I can't give an exact date on the scrapping, but it will most likely be in the next two months.

The last remaining seven of Genesee & Wyoming Australia's GM class are clinging onto life working grain trains in South Australia, but time is rapidly running out.

GM43/GM40/GM42, all built in 1967, work a Bowmans to Outer Harbour grain train last Sunday 7/12/14 at Mallala and Two wells respectively.

post-4406-0-80213700-1418097653_thumb.jpg

post-4406-0-91493100-1418097660_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

The CL class of 17 locomotives were originally built between 1970-72 for the Commonwealth Railways which morphed into Australian National in 1978. They were rebuilt by Morrison Knudsen Australia in 1993/94 as CLPs (passenger) and CLFs (freight) and passed to Australian Southern Railroad (Genesee & Wyoming) upon privatisation of AN in 1997. Subsequently ownership was transferred to Australian Railroad Group, a joint venture between GW and Queensland Rail. This arrangement was relatively shortlived and split up in 2006 with 10 of the CLFs/CLPs going to QR National (previously QR)  and 6 to Genesee & Wyoming Australia. One unit CLP15 had previously been written off under AN ownership.

As of December 2014, those units owned by QR National (now known as Aurizon) are in storage and up for sale at Goulburn in NSW and are unlikely to run in Australia again. Thankfully the six remaining with GWA remain in service and in fact three have been overhauled in the last 12 months so have a few more years left in them yet.

On 29 October 2014, CLP8 leads a Wirrida to Outer Harbour (Port Adelaide) copper ore train at Mallala, South Australia.

post-4406-0-61483700-1418254939_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Sighted in Perth today (January 7th).

Around 0625, locomotive ADZ 1803 in ARG livery on the back of a truck heading west on Roe highway between Tonkin Highway and Orrong Road exits.

Around 1220, an unidentified container flat on the back of a truck sitting on the southbound exit ramp from Tonkin, waiting to turn right and head West on Roe.

No pictures, as I was driving at the time.

Anyone know origins, destinations, and reasons for the movements?

Apex Industrial are handling the disposal of this batch of Aurizon locos. The list of Aurizon items they had for sale is:
- 5 x D/DA class
- 6 x AD/1502 class
- 2 x NJ/1600 class
- 2 x 1720 class
- 1 x 2100 class (2116)
- 1 x 2170 class (2190)
- 1 x 2490 class (2486)
- 35 x 3100/3200 class
- 4 x 421 class
- 5 x 422 class
- 4 x 423 class
- 11 x CLF/CLP class
- 4 x FAM sleeping cars

I don't know if all are going to South Africa for rebuilding.

Apex are also handling the sale of the 25 remaining New Zealand EM/ET class (Ganz-Mavag) EMUs. The first 17 were converted to loco-hauled cars for use in Tanzania and Zimbabwe.

Cheers
David

Edited by DavidB-AU