Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Buying a house with model railway in mind...

We were on a very compressed timeline for finding a new home (5 days...), but had a very good list of what we wanted.  We wanted land zoned for a horse, a fireplace, and a basement.  We got all 3...

I have ~36x24 of basement, plus 17x24 (2010), and my wife got 3/4ths of a acre of land, zoned RR2 for a horse.  She got a fireplace, which doesn't work worth @#@$, and I got a wood stove in the basement.

The only downside is how far from work I am.  I'm ~60 min away from work by car.  (about +-52 km to dockyard).  Not such a big deal, as I work rather less than 200 days/year when I have to drive.  The commute on ship is MUCH shorter...

James

Always had an eye for a railway room when buying. First house was an ex local authority with a good sized outhouse, 13'x9', which I planned to house an OO9 layout. A few months later was visited by an Uncle who remarked it would make a good utility room. That put paid to that. So I go up into the loft. Not ideal due to cross beams, but a good size. But we decide to move halfway into the build. Saw some great railway rooms looking for the next house, one had a garage/utility room extension with a 30'x10' room over it. Finally plumped for one with a hipped roof giving me about 12'x12'. Five years later I'm a born again bachelor looking for a home. Now I have a 17' long loft with a usable 10' width. Early efforts were limited to a loop of track with passing loops, all I could afford. Later it was developed into a twin track layout for my son. Now in the process of being ripped up to make way for US N gauge. And there's the garden. Now home to a 20'x10' shed to house Tolmouth. At 120' long and on a gentle slope, it may become home to a garden layout sometime.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

In the space of one day a couple of weeks ago, we accepted an offer on our house and had our offer accepted - all being well I'll have a 12'6 x 6'7 third bedroom to fill with trains! I would have preferred the 12 x 8 second bedroom, but one has to make some compromises........

The big problem is that this new place lacks a garage, so storage space is very restricted; we're currently embarking on a very ruthless clearout of all those things we kept over the years, on the basis that either they might one day become useful or that it would have been a shame to chuck then out. Actually I'm really enjoying the clearout - 29 years under one roof = one big pile of junk in the loft (and another in the garage!) As regards my stockpile of materials for possible layout construction, I've come to the conclusion that it's amazing just what rubbish I kept over the years in the mistaken belief that it might have some practical use! 

• RMweb Premium

Our search for a property in France was on the basis of having a significant outbuilding to use as/convert to a hobby room.

Despite making this requirement clear to estate agents, a number of them decided we really did not need this space and insisted on showing us properties with no prospect of taking our layouts. Thankfully though, some did take our requirements seriously and we now have a 10 x 6m (600sq ft) train room.

Archived