Australian A4s.....two interesting stories

'Evening everyone

Having just been the 'Year of the A4', and knowing a good story or two were told over the course of the proceedings, I thought I'd place in my two cents worth. These (short) stories are interesting, as we nearly had the pleasure of an A4 'Down Under' twice. These are all word of mouth, but have been told to me by a few separate sources, all agreeing that the following nearly did happen, and I am trying to dig up any supporting information.

First one: We all know that 6 A4s survive due to two having been presented to overseas museums, but how many people are aware that 4491/60012 'Commonwealth of Australia' was nearly the third? I have been told that British Railways offered the NSW Government/NSW Rail Transport Museum (varies depending on who is telling the story, I am trying to dig into this one) was offered 60012 at some point after she was withdrawn on the 20th August 1964. The story goes that we were offered the locomotive for nothing, but had to pay to have it shipped down here. Hence, the offer was knocked back, and the former Coronation engine was scrapped in March 1965.

The second one is a bit shorter: For the Bicentennial celebrations of Australia in 1988, AusSteam '88 was organised. The group behind the idea successfully pulled together a range of locomotives for the event, but wanted something more. If an engine from England was able to be bought down to Australia, it would be an excellent link between the Mother Land and the Colony. The group initially inquired with the NRM about bringing Mallard out, due to it's status as the fastest steam locomotive in the world.

Unfortunately, 1988 was Mallard's 50th, and that combined with the fact that it had the limited number of steamings, it was realised that this couldn't happen. The next engine enquired after was 46229 Duchess of Hamilton, but it was undergoing repairs and an overhaul. The NRM then suggested about Sir William McAlpine and 4472, and it was agreed that the engine would come out, 'provided it is a return ticket. It is interesting that not only were 4472 and 4073 both former stars of the same exhibition and having run on the same line during the 1925 trials, they were both either owned or previously owned by Sir William.

Funny you should mention Comm of Aus nearly making it down under as I had a dream about that a few nights ago.  I won't go into detail but it involved the tardis, forging of documents :O  and a whole lot of messing with history!

Matt.

'Evening everyone

Having just been the 'Year of the A4', and knowing a good story or two were told over the course of the proceedings, I thought I'd place in my two cents worth. These (short) stories are interesting, as we nearly had the pleasure of an A4 'Down Under' twice. These are all word of mouth, but have been told to me by a few separate sources, all agreeing that the following nearly did happen, and I am trying to dig up any supporting information.

First one: We all know that 6 A4s survive due to two having been presented to overseas museums, but how many people are aware that 4491/60012 'Commonwealth of Australia' was nearly the third?

Didn't 60014 Silver Link come very close to preservation? I've heard that she was offered for sale at the attractive price of £3,000, but was eventually scrapped when no takers came forward. Similar events occurred, I think, with some of the last surviving A4s (60024 Kingfisher, for one) - it's always quite frustrating to know how many engines 'got away', isn't it?

• RMweb Gold

We also could have had "City of London 46245 and City of Nottingham 46251" if it had not been for the shortsightedness of the respective authorities ......what a bl000dy waste.

Rgds.......Mike 

Yup, 2509 was offered to Butlins but could not agree on the price. I believe attempts were made to preserve St. Mungo, but the failure to obtain said A1 led to the purchase of 60532.. I also read somewhere that Pegler would have also liked 2750.

'Evening everyone

Having just been the 'Year of the A4', and knowing a good story or two were told over the course of the proceedings, I thought I'd place in my two cents worth. 

First one: We all know that 6 A4s survive due to two having been presented to overseas museums, but how many people are aware that 4491/60012 'Commonwealth of Australia' was nearly the third? I have been told that British Railways offered the NSW Government/NSW Rail Transport Museum (varies depending on who is telling the story, I am trying to dig into this one) was offered 60012 at some point after she was withdrawn on the 20th August 1964. The story goes that we were offered the locomotive for nothing, but had to pay to have it shipped down here. Hence, the offer was knocked back, and the former Coronation engine was scrapped in March 1965.

Now if you had swapped the name plates for 60026 Miles Beaver and put that name down on the export ticket customs might have thought it was a real person. Poms could get to Australia for a tenner back then all you needed to do was swap the name plates back when it got there  :mosking:

We also could have had "City of London 46245 and City of Nottingham 46251" if it had not been for the shortsightedness of the respective authorities ......what a bl000dy waste.

Rgds.......Mike 

Likewise 6254 'City of Stoke on Trent', although the local council do have the nameplates.

• RMweb Gold

Didn't 60014 Silver Link come very close to preservation? I've heard that she was offered for sale at the attractive price of £3,000, but was eventually scrapped when no takers came forward. Similar events occurred, I think, with some of the last surviving A4s (60024 Kingfisher, for one) - it's always quite frustrating to know how many engines 'got away', isn't it?

Bearing in mind when silver link was for sale £3000 was an awful lot of money!!

• 3 months later...

Having made a few inquiries, and a few chance purchases, I can add a bit more to the CoA story, quoting from the 50th Anniversary (September 2012) Roundhouse magazine of the RTM:

"The NSWRTM was offered the chance to bring LNER A4 Pacific Locomotive Commonwealth of Australia to reside permanently here. The price set by British Railways, (plus transport costs) were considered to be excessive and the plan was dropped. BR was informed of the decision."

According to the current (May 2014) issue, which features a bit on "The exhibit that almost was", the Australian Railway Historical Society was also involved in this. It is thought that it may have been looked at in connection with getting it here for"British Week" (25th September to 10th October 1964), but information from the period (1964) is severely lacking.

• 3 weeks later...

What an absolute Travesty that she never got here, at least BR thought about it enough to make the offer.

That's terribly sad.

Can you have a favourite engine, when you never actually saw it?

How else do I love a P2?!

It is a shame, as it would have shown the differences between local Pacific design with the C38s, and how engines were designed to suit their own individual climates. As mentioned in the article in the May Roundhouse, it would have been fantastic to see at least 7 (if not more...) A4s all together in the one place.

I have a question regarding COA,

or more so regarding it's corridor tender.

On all the early pictures in it's LNER livery and in fact on my Hornby Version. The LNER letters are more positioned to the front on the left hand side, rather than central on the RHS.

Why is that the case ?

I thought it may be something to do with the lettering being stainless steel rather than painted, possibly any retaining hardware poking through into a crucial area.

Any Ideas ?

Cheers for that link.

Haven't yet found an answer regarding the tender letters, but found a lot of other great info.

Which should prevent me from asking too many other daft questions.

To be honest I hadn't even noticed the difference in lettering until my neighbour picked it up, thinking that it might be a tampo error on the model, good thing is now he wants to know more about Gresley's  Pacific's. So Another convert.

• 9 months later...

Funny you should mention Comm of Aus nearly making it down under as I had a dream about that a few nights ago.  I won't go into detail but it involved the tardis, forging of documents :O  and a whole lot of messing with history!

Matt.

Something tells me even the Doctor would have some difficulty explaining that :P

Peter

Given the stresses and strains 4472 is believed to have suffered running on the somewhat undulating Aussie trackwork. The source where I read this (that I cannot recall at present) argued that this period of operation potentially contributed to the major elements chassis surgery she has just undergone over the past decade. Maybe it is just as well Mallard wasn't sent. While 4472 likely had new frames, and certainly new frame sections, during its working life, Mallard I believe has the original metal from 1938. (Also a good case for limiting Mallard's operation should she ever be restored... but I digress).

Back on topic, a great shame that the 60012 and indeed the other Commonwealth locos were not donated (incl shipping) to their respective countries. That would have been an offer too good to refuse. 60012 would have made a fantastic exhibit in one of the major Australian collections. Like the USA and Canada, Australia is a nation with a critical mass of nutters who appreciate good railway engineering!

Archived