Bachmann 4MT - 31-107

Ian Abel

Trying to find out if the 31-107 BR Green 75027 is an earlier split-chassis model or not.

The only service sheet at the Bachmann web site for a 4MT shows the new design but it's unclear what model(s) that covers?

I thought there were both types, the earlier ones being originally (probably) the Mainline model??

Would love to get an answer, as I'd rather not purchase the older model given the noted problems that appear prevalent with split-chassis models.

• RMweb Premium

IIRC Bachmann have in fact released 75027 from their new tooling - however it was released with a factory weathered finish. Thus if the loco is 'pristine' it is almost certainly a split chassis model

(The only other retooled green std4 4-6-0 with an normal sized tender Bachmann have produced - not the higher capacity jobs fitted to SR allocated locos -  is 75001 issued as twin pack with a small NE tank in celebration of something)

Not sure about 75001 in the presentation set (Kader 60th Anniversary) having the newer chassis; one add on ebay describes it as NOT DCC ready-

suggesting split frame type. Anyone else come across a 4MT with new chassis and non-Southern tender??

• RMweb Gold

You can find the model number of all previous Bachmann products here - http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/pdfs/branchline_products_by_item_no_rev11.pdf

This would indicate 75003 is split chassis as its model number is 31-106A.  75027 was produced in both versions.

Correct. The quick way to tell with the 4MT 4-6-0s is to check the the last-but-one digit of the catalogue number.

If it's a 0, it'll have the split chassis, if it's a 1, it's the DCC-ready type.

I have a couple and they are a big improvement but I also have an old Mainline one which I fitted with the final version of the split chassis when you could get them as a spare part. So long as they are run regularly and not stored in the attic (where the temperature extremes WILL kill them) they aren't at all bad.

John

Archived