Park Road TMD

Craig Watson

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

Had originally started this off as a blog but prefer the thread format so here goes!

I'm planning this as a continuation of my previous thread on the old site (which I'll link to when I can)

For those not familiar with the layout already, it is a 10'x2' TMD layout which was originally built as a test bed for a move into DCC, I was then asked by the exhibition managerof our MRC if I could have it ready for our exhibition in 2007.

It's first appearance was at the Bonnybridge 2007 show, since then it has appeared at various Scottish shows and was also featured in the February 2009 Railway Modeller.

The layout is host to a large fleet of EWS and DB Schenker motive power and is set "somewhere" in Central Scotland.

The setting is an urban area adjacent to a busy retail park and former gas works, there is also a single line which crosses the depot entrance tracks which is currently "under possession" with a squad of Pway staff and a road railer at work carrying out essential maintenance.

The TMD buildings themselves are Pikestuff kits with low relief peco offices, the building is modelled in half/low relief to give the impression of a larger shed, I have future plans to extend the layout and enlarge the buildings too.

One of the main features of the layout are the large gas storage tanks on the site of the former gasworks, these were built up from a Walthers kit and modified by cutting in half and used as low relief, these always attract attention at exhibitions as I'm forever being asked how they were done!

The layout is currently dismantled at home as various other factors have prevented me being able to spare the time to do anything with it, I'm planning to get it built up this coming weekend to check it over as it has been booked to appear at an exhibtion in April, I may take the chance of using my weekend off work to carry out some minor detailling around the shed area as I've been picking up bits and bobs which are lying on my workbench taking up space instead of being in place on the layout!

Anyway, here are a few pics of the layout from the past few years!

post-291-12644188168129_thumb.jpg

post-291-12644188835583_thumb.jpg

post-291-12644189146721_thumb.jpg

I'm currently trawling through my collection of pics of the layout so will post some more later.

Cheers

Craig

• RMweb Premium

Thanks mate!

There are quite a few pictures on my fotopic site of the layout under construction, many of which appeared in the thread on the old board,

http://craigsrailway...1182965_25.html

I've "found" more pics while transferring files to a memory stick in anticipation of the delivery of my new laptop, I'm having some trouble uploading them to the thread at the moment but will get them added when I get a chance.

This was at its first show, Bonnybridge 2007, the layout is being operated in the picture by the new owner of Manor Lane TMD

post-291-1264460500954_thumb.jpg

An overview of the layout,

post-291-12644607449944_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Craig

• RMweb Gold

Hi Craig,

Glad to see you over here on the new site keep up the posting that was me scratching the wood to try and remember what i was going to do next.

Bruce the new shedmaster of Manor lane.

Hi Bruce,

We thought you just kept scrathing your head to keep us guessing what was going on in it!

When are you out with Manor Road then?

Which shows....

Spill the beans!

Thanks

Hi Craig

This is a GREAT LAYOUT...

Love all the pictures and there is plenty going on there on the Layout...

The 8x EWS class 66's with no repeated numbers I hope... reminds me of TOTON TMD, great layout and keep the photos coming, ill keep an eye on this layout and wait in anticipation for the next load of pictures...

Regards

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Hi Bruce,

We thought you just kept scrathing your head to keep us guessing what was going on in it!

When are you out with Manor Road then?

Which shows....

Spill the beans!

Thanks

Manor Lane will be out soon but I'll let Bruce let you all know exactly when.

You'll all be able to catch up with us both on Glen Stewart at Glasgow too!

Cheers

Craig

• RMweb Premium

Hi Craig

This is a GREAT LAYOUT...

Love all the pictures and there is plenty going on there on the Layout...

The 8x EWS class 66's with no repeated numbers I hope... reminds me of TOTON TMD, great layout and keep the photos coming, ill keep an eye on this layout and wait in anticipation for the next load of pictures...

Regards

Jamie

Thanks for the comments Jamie,

Of the top of my head the 66 fleet pictured comprises 66022, 66026, 66068, 66082, 66089, 66111, 66159 and 66200.

I also have the DB Schenker liveried 66152 and another 66200 which is entering the works for renumbering and weathering over the next few weeks.

Thats just the EWS onesbiggrin.gif

Cheers

Craig

• RMweb Premium

This layout looks great love the "GIF" ?? 37 and could I see a couple of Euro sheds in the line up or is it just me still looks great keep up the good work

Thanks for the comments,

The real 66022 & 66026 are part of the european fleet but run on my layout as standard EWS UK versions.

The GIF 37 is a Bachmann model resprayed for me a while back by one of our club members, its unpowered and usually gets moved around the depot by one of the resident 08's, it's numbered as 37899, the real loco was written off in a collision in Spain in 2002.

post-291-1264493760134_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Craig

Hiya Craig,

I have seen your class 66, 66111, Where did you get the Highland Stag from??

66111 is my next 66 model, hopefully have the same amount as you in the next umm 4 years... laugh.gif

Do you airbrush your locos or use powders??

Great website aswell matey, I really enjoyed looking at all the photos icon_thumbsup2.gif

Cheers

George

Nice layout Craig, like the track work, it seems to just flow and looks real.

Not sure about the road mind, that bend by the shed looks a bit tight

for the bus to turn!

Anyway interesting layout with plenty to keep one looking at the detail...

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Hiya Craig,

I have seen your class 66, 66111, Where did you get the Highland Stag from??

66111 is my next 66 model, hopefully have the same amount as you in the next umm 4 years... laugh.gif

Do you airbrush your locos or use powders??

Great website aswell matey, I really enjoyed looking at all the photos icon_thumbsup2.gif

Cheers

George

The stag is a fox transfer, can't remember the sheet number but will see if I can dig it out when I get home,

Thanks for the comments icon_thumbsup2.gif

Craig

• RMweb Premium

Nice layout Craig, like the track work, it seems to just flow and looks real.

Not sure about the road mind, that bend by the shed looks a bit tight

for the bus to turn!

Anyway interesting layout with plenty to keep one looking at the detail...

Keith

Thankssmile.gif

The bus gets round the corner ok, the driver has strong armsbiggrin.gif I do see your point though!

Cheers

Craig

• RMweb Premium

With the layout having been in storage since the Ayr exhibition in September I decided to get the layout built back up for this weekend as I'm now off until Tuesday.

Luckily SWMBO has let me set the layout up in our lounge which has let me get on with some minor jobs, I also gave the track a good clean and it's working fine.

Tomorrow will see the garage being cleaned out to get it back out there again where I can run it regulary, it should also get a few outings this year.

I'll try and get some pics tomorrow, just found out my battery is flaticon_frustrated.gif

Cheers

Craig

• RMweb Premium

Having had the layout built in my lounge for the past few days has allowed me to get on with a few minor detailling jobs as well as have a good "play" with the layoutbiggrin.gif

I had originally only brought out a few locos for testing but my son decided he wanted to run the layout with more engines so I got a few more out over the weekend, the layuot will be getting built back up in the garage tomorrow which will allow me to have regular operating sessions, this weekend being the first time the layout has been run since it's appearance at Ayr last September.

I took some quick pics too, although with James quickly getting to grips with my Prodigy Advance the locos didn't stay still for long and the pics aren't the greatest due to poor lighting in the house!

Here's the home fleet of EWS/DBS 66's, I have another which is waiting to be renumbered!

post-291-12649847864851_thumb.jpg

More sheds, 18 of 21 including 2x DRS 66412's, 1 in compass livery and one in Malcolms, I'm still undecided whether to renumber the compass one or sell it on!

post-291-12649849323509_thumb.jpg

Tamper stabled in one of the sidings.

post-291-12649850395336_thumb.jpg

37425 arrives at the depot.

post-291-12649851198642_thumb.jpg

The next project I'm looking at doing on the layout is improving the backscene, particularly around the area where the road enters the retail park, I'm planning on getting out this week to get some pics around some local retail parks to see what I can come up with!

• RMweb Premium

Okay Craig, Cheers matey!!

George

I couldn't lay my hands on the Fox sheet with the stags but will have another look tomorrow.

The weathered locos are a mixture of airbrush on my more recent ones, earlier efforts used powders.

Cheers

Craig

Hi Craig

This is an absolutely stunning layout with plenty going on... amazing what you have been able to fit within the 10ft x 2ft space...

Does that include the fiddle yard behind the scene... at the far end...?

Great photo updates and I look forward to the next batch...

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Hi Craig

This is an absolutely stunning layout with plenty going on... amazing what you have been able to fit within the 10ft x 2ft space...

Does that include the fiddle yard behind the scene... at the far end...?

Great photo updates and I look forward to the next batch...

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

Thanks for the comments!

The 10ft includes the fiddle yard, the scenic section is 8ftx2ft.

I'm stripping the layout down later today to rebuild it in my garage again so will set up the layout lighting which should improve the pics a bit!

Cheers

Craig

Hiya Craig

Cracking piccies mate, really enjoyed both line ups of 66s!!

Real nice looking 66s aswell!! Do you go to any shows around Yorkshire? I would like to see this layout in Action with all them 66s biggrin.gif laugh.gif

Okay, no worries, dont turn your house upside down looking for them bud! laugh.gif

Cheers

George

• RMweb Premium

Hiya Craig

Cracking piccies mate, really enjoyed both line ups of 66s!!

Real nice looking 66s aswell!! Do you go to any shows around Yorkshire? I would like to see this layout in Action with all them 66s biggrin.gif laugh.gif

Okay, no worries, dont turn your house upside down looking for them bud! laugh.gif

Cheers

George

Hi George,

I've not been invited to any shows in Yorkshire, the layout has been to quite a few in Scotland over the last few years and is booked to appear at Epsom & Ewell MRC's exhibiton in April, maybe an invitation will come at some pointbiggrin.gif

I still can't lay my hands on the transfer pack but looking on www.fox-transfers.co.uk the stag motif is part of Fox transfer sheet F4366

http://www.fox-trans...kAsQK8cxslo.jpg

I don't use Fox transfers for the numbers though, they do two sheets for EWS 66's, one is to match the Lima version and is way too light for the Bachmann model, the other is still too light in my opnion, I use Modelmaster pack 4931 which is a good match for the Bachmann paint scheme (which reminds me I still need another pack!!).

Hope this helps!

Cheers

Craig

Archived