L&Y Class 27

I have decided to have a go scratch building a model of the L&Y Class 27. I am intending to use a rtr chassis as I don't think I am ready to try building my own yet, probably a Hornby Jinty depending on what I can track down at a reasonable price. As ever cost is a major issue so its going to be built for minimal outlay.

I am planning to make the body from plasticard, with possible brass to reinforce the footplate. I have had a look at Craftsman's list of parts and there are a lot of L&Y bits I can use, but the one part I am struggling to find is the dome. Does anyone know of a manufacturer, or failing that something similar that i could use instead?

Many Thanks

Ed

Thanks Dave, I've looked on their catalogue and I can get buffers, safety valve, chimney, smokebox door, tool boxes and tender axle boxes, it's just the dome they don't have listed for sale. I'm wondering if I can get away with a midland one?

Thanks Dave, I've looked on their catalogue and I can get buffers, safety valve, chimney, smokebox door, tool boxes and tender axle boxes, it's just the dome they don't have listed for sale. I'm wondering if I can get away with a midland one?

Although the Craftsman dome isn't listed, it might be worth contacting them to see if they can help. Might just be an omision from the catalogue.

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...

So I've got the bits I need and made a start on this one. It's my first scratch built project so bare with me! I decided to strt on the tender as it seemed more straight forward. This is as far as I've got. The lip round the tender was a swine and its not perfect but I'm happy for now with it. Next job is to attach the frames and get it on its wheels!post-18589-0-30640900-1395838335_thumb.jpg

I've finished the tender now. It needs priming and then fettling to get the sides perfectly smooth as there's a bit too much filler in places it shouldn't be. I've also noticed that the filler cap is wonky which I hadn't noticed until I looked at the photo. This is the first rolling stock I've scratch built so I'm very pleased with it or all its flaws!post-18589-0-37880300-1396088200_thumb.jpg

Thanks Mark, you are right! Serves me right for following a pic of another model for my details rather than a pic of the real thing. A few hours searching the library found a good pic of the tender and I bashed up a filler in the right shape from plasticard.post-18589-0-69382500-1396167898_thumb.jpg

Its looking good I will be watching with intrest. What r-t-r loco are you going to use or have you decided to build the loco chassis.

I must say that the craftsman kit and also if you can get one the mpd kit are good to make The first kit I made was the craftsmann class 27.

mark

Made good progress this afternoon, got the boiler and fittings added, plus the front splashers and cab roof:

post-18589-0-52175300-1397333100_thumb.jpg

It's riding a bit high on the chassis at the moment so will have to take the plunge and attack the chassis with a file at some point soon

post-18589-0-30552600-1397333208_thumb.jpg

Hopefully I can get it finished fairly soon and in the paint shop. I'm planning to number it as 52121 from Sowerby Bridge shed, which though long gone was a few miles down the road from where I grew up.

Ed

Hi Ed

that's interesting, a scratchbuilt Barton wright 27 in plasticard, I too have constructed one in Plasticard.

For your interest, I used parts like Chimney, dome, Safety valve and whistle from George Norton , now London rd models, George kindly gave me an etched chassis for free which was from the kit.

I used Sharman wheels, correct for the model, Mashima 12 24 and ultrascale 38-1 gears, I also compensated the chassis via a beam method, the rear axle was fixed housing the gear mechanism.

I will post up a couple of photos of the loco in the next day or so.

cheers

Peter

• 2 months later...

It's been a long time since I updated this, but I have finally got to a point where I can start painting the model. No doubt much fettling will be needed following the primer, but I'm very pleased with this as my first attempt.

post-18589-0-91505400-1402853944_thumb.jpg

post-18589-0-32736700-1402853956_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

It's been a long time coming, but I've finally finished!

post-18589-0-90762500-1408783916_thumb.jpgpost-18589-0-25334000-1408783939_thumb.jpgpost-18589-0-55261300-1408783959_thumb.jpg

I have learnt so much from this project, I've not got another one planned at the moment but it won't be too long before I tackle something else and hopefully I will have learnt from the numerous mistakes I've had with this one!

Archived