Point Control

Catweasel

For the time being, I'm going to operate my points with surface mounted  wire in tube. However, what's the best way to attach the tubing to the ply base board? I am thinking of hot glue but worried whether the heat will damage the tube. I am using Peco points and DPDT slide switches. Do I remove the springs from the points or not. Thanks for any advice.   

You will need some way of locking the points, and it strikes me as being easiest to leave the springs in the turnouts.

Hot glue probably won't damage the tubing, but it depends on the material. I'm guessing the wire will be in the tube when you glue it. Time to experiment on a small sample maybe?

Some people like to run their wires along troughs cut into the ply.

Eric

Derby

You could use self adhesive cable tie bases :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/161203913725?hlpht=true&ops=true&viphx=1&lpid=95&device=t&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=95&ff19=0

and then cable tie the tubes in place which allows for tweaking at a later date.

I use them to keep all of my cable runs neat under my baseboards.

I was thinking that the slide switches would provide a lock for them. Thanks for reply.

The slide switches will lock one end of the wire, but the trouble is the turnout is at the other end. I guess you could use clutch cable, but that's a bit heavy and still likely to slip a wee bit.

The wire will only change the turnout direction, it won't act as a lock for the point blades. So to prevent derailments you'll either need to stick with the built in springs, or else go to the extra bother of having to install some form of spring based locking mechanism yourself.

Eric

OK. I'll leave the springs in. Makes sense. I'm going analogue with this, with the possibility of digital later. I have a Hornby eLink waiting in the wings, but,having now retired, I have to be a bit careful. At least I'll have trains running.

Archived