Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Point rodding for a Tandem with FPL

I'm considering adding point rodding to my layout 'Camel Quay'

The approach to the station terminus has a tandem turnout the would require a FPL for the two turnouts. The question I have is, would the two locks be activated from a single common rod or would there be a separate rod (and lever) for each.

If it is a single rod, how would this be split for the two locks.

This is all very new to me so please excuse my ignorance in this area.

Ray.

The simple answer is that it could be either, as the practice varied depending upon locking required and any desire for economy etc. If just one lever and rod, then in essence the same as for a pair of points driven by one rod, in that the one nearer to the signal-box 'drops off' the rod carrying to the further one.

Another issue is how the fpls are locked (by a train traversing the point). 

If the fpls are locked by a track circuit then Chris' answer stands, either solution is possible and the one that is chosen will be partly on the basis of custom and practice and partly on the basis of which one provides the simplest interlocking (and not just for the fpls).

If the fpls are locked by a pair of locking bars then at least one has to either go outside or be mounted on a point blade, both happened in places in practice but neither seems to have been popular, but obviously one wouldn't go for a pair of locking bars unless the fpls were worked by separate levers.

If the fpls are locked by a single locking bar, I think that they must be worked by the same lever.

Working the fpls by the same lever would have been the cheapest solution unless it introduced horrendous complications in the interlocking, but more typically it would also simplify (and thus reduce the cost of) the interlocking.

Archived