Class 40s working onto the Western Region Circ 1960s

Blobrick

• RMweb Premium

I am wondering if anyone can help?

I ve just been looking though some of the 8mm cine film clips on Youtube. I came across a silent film made by A.G. Denyer. taken whilst he was on a Canal holiday in the mid to late 60s. Part of the sequence was taken between Oxford Canal and Heyford, and showed to views of Green liveried class 40s working frieght traffic to and from Oxford? Does anyone know when class 40s started working onto the WR? .

There are some great shots in this film including a Blue Pullman arriving at Paddington, and a Blue liveried Hymek with SYWP at Heyford.

Bob.C

They came across to Oxford from Bletchley about twice a week from the mid sixties. I have also seen them in Oxford on a working called the 'Blisworth Parcels', although I also remember this being Hymek hauled as well. I have a photo of a 40 (or I should really say English Electric Type 4!) taken in Oxford station somewhere. It is a BW shot so may take some finding.

• RMweb Premium

Thank you for your reply, I would br most interested to learn more about the "'Blisworth Parcels',, I m looking for an excuse to run a EE type 4 on my western 1966 layout, and this parcels working could be the answer?

• RMweb Premium

Hi Steve

no l ve not any photos yet, still at the wood work stage and cutting holes through walls at the moment!  Just love the look of the forth coming Heljan Class 40 so looking for a way to fit one in. At the moment a stretch of the Birmingham Oxford line looks favorite, Already have plans for a Green SYWP class 45,so the 40 would keep it company!

Bob.C

Hi Bob

I saw the Heljan class 40 at Glasgow and it was very impressive, as was the price! I think I'll stick to "oo" gauge.

Stephen

Whilst the 7mm 40 is not cheap bear in mind that the price on Heljans stand was the full RRP, shops will do it a bit cheaper than this, still not exactly pocket money I know.

• RMweb Premium

From what l ve found so far, it seems almost every kind of traction visited the yards at Gloucester (classes 26/27 and 55 excluded) Does anyone know of class 40 workings in the area circ 1966?

On 7 September 1958, D201 headed the Farnborough Flyer which passed Reading West curve and Southcote Junction presumably en route from Oxford/Didcot to Basingstoke. That is a special I know and a little early for the OP but if anyone is looking for an excuse for a passenger working..... It looks to have a rake of maroon Mk1s with a Gresley Buffet or Restaurant Car?

Here is the evidence.  No time to edit it properly I am afraid and I suspect the head board is "irrecoverable"!

post-18453-0-30907100-1394737910.jpg

• RMweb Gold

From what l ve found so far, it seems almost every kind of traction visited the yards at Gloucester (classes 26/27 and 55 excluded) ..........................................

And they did in preservation times for Open Days at Gloucester.

IIRC a Deltic worked past Gloucester on a special which came through Birmingham heading for Bristol around December 1981

• RMweb Premium

Another one in green with small yellow ends appeared in a B&W photo recently on the 'Rail Thing - Bristol Temple Meads' Facebook group. D374 in 1968 with 1V52 a Wolverhampton - Penzance train. The caption notes that the loco was (unsurprisingly) changed at BTM so it probably made it on to Bath Road too.

I love the shot at 6:45 with the 116(?) at Heyford in blue with small yellow panels. Favourite BR livery by far, something more aesthetically pleasing about it when compared to full yellow ends. 

• RMweb Premium

Posted Today, 00:00

I love the shot at 6:45 with the 116(?) at Heyford in blue with small yellow panels. Favourite BR livery by far, something more aesthetically pleasing about it when compared to full yellow ends. 

Could not agree more. Thats the reason l ve set my period between Jan 1966 and December 1966. Steam ended on the 31st December 1965, and the first Blue liveried statrted to appear from about August 1966, I ve seen a Class 52 Western in Chromematic blue (?) with SYWP,at Plymouth in August of that year. Earliest record for a Blue liveried Hymek (Without White window surounds but with SYWP) was December 1966,.although I ve not found any dates for Warships first appearing in Blue as yet

Could not agree more. Thats the reason l ve set my period between Jan 1966 and December 1966. Steam ended on the 31st December 1965, and the first Blue liveried statrted to appear from about August 1966, I ve seen a Class 52 Western in Chromematic blue (?) with SYWP,at Plymouth in August of that year. Earliest record for a Blue liveried Hymek (Without White window surounds but with SYWP) was December 1966,.although I ve not found any dates for Warships first appearing in Blue as yet

Sounds lovely! Westerns looked great in Chromatic blue. So did SR EMU's, which is why I have the Modelzone Bachmann EPB in Chromatic Blue with small yellow panels. ;) 

From what l ve found so far, it seems almost every kind of traction visited the yards at Gloucester (classes 26/27 and 55 excluded) Does anyone know of class 40 workings in the area circ 1966?

I remember seeing a pair of 27's in Gloucester in the late 60's. It is one f those memories that for some strange reason has stuck with me.They were occasional visitors before being transferred to Scotland. A 40 would have been a rare sight: I cannot remember one. 

In 1966 we still had black 5's, 8F's and 9F's as frequent visitors  at least in the early part of the year when Horton Road retained its servicing facilities. Diesels were mostly Peaks (45 and 46), Brush 4's (47s), Westerns (52s), Hymeks (35s), EE type 3's (37s) Teddy Bears, and NB type 2s. 24s, 25s and Warships were less common but not unusual.

I know we're veering off topic now but regarding early blue Warships - the first to appear were D831 in blue / small panels and D864 in blue / full yellow ends in November '66.

They came across to Oxford from Bletchley about twice a week from the mid sixties. I have also seen them in Oxford on a working called the 'Blisworth Parcels', although I also remember this being Hymek hauled as well. I have a photo of a 40 (or I should really say English Electric Type 4!) taken in Oxford station somewhere. It is a BW shot so may take some finding.

This is a colour one, but not sure where it originated.  http://www.flickr.com/photos/59835095@N02/6266260302/

I remember seeing a pair of 27's in Gloucester in the late 60's. It is one f those memories that for some strange reason has stuck with me.They were occasional visitors before being transferred to Scotland. A 40 would have been a rare sight: I cannot remember one. 

In 1966 we still had black 5's, 8F's and 9F's as frequent visitors  at least in the early part of the year when Horton Road retained its servicing facilities. Diesels were mostly Peaks (45 and 46), Brush 4's (47s), Westerns (52s), Hymeks (35s), EE type 3's (37s) Teddy Bears, and NB type 2s. 24s, 25s and Warships were less common but not unusual.

Don't forget the 44s  -

post-4474-0-81743600-1394804872.jpg

Archived