5.5mm scale 3' gauge loco

HSB

I have finally got around to adding Archers rivet transfers and Narrow Planet nameplates to my 5.5mm scale loco. This was rebuilt from a Joueff H0 0-6-0T. The cab and coal bunker are based on those on the Southwold 2-4-2Ts although the overall length is closer to their 2-4-0T. 

post-12623-0-13351400-1394903141_thumb.jpg

It's basically a cross between a Lough Swilly brake van and a W&L one. It was made from Evergreen plastic with bolt-head details from EDM and mounted on a modified 00 chassis. I pinched the axleboxes off a PECO 0-16.5 kit I bought but never bothered to complete.

post-12623-0-60622400-1394994820_thumb.jpg

• 8 months later...

nice to see some 3ft gauge in 1/55 scale, as Gem had originally planned to launch a range over 40 years ago. It is surprising more are not trying it, but suspect one reason is that the range of accessories is though to be very limited.

I plan to use the scale for a French metre gauge project, I am happy to use underscaled track for simplicity, and I could always consider using EM gauge if it really bothered me. But the main reason I have chosen this scale is the large range of very nearly same scale 28mm military modelling items, including civilian figures. I had originally planned to model in 1/64 scale, but found the loco chassis I wanted to use would not fit the loco body I had, and I did not want to build my own. I was also surprised how few accessories were available or suitable for me.

I have actually considered having another go at an S scale narrow gauge line using 12mm or 9mm track as I already have a number of vehicles and figures in that scale and a 2' or 2'6" gauge would be more likely for the era my proposed railway was supposed to have been built!

Of course, the situation is slightly different with regards modelling French lines as there are a number of diecast continental vehicles available around 5.5mm scale although mainly modern stuff.

My main concern with the 28mm military and fantasy figures is that many of them are out of proportion with heads well over scale.

The 1/54 vehicles I have are actually older cars, suitable for 1950s modelling. Some of the wargaming figures might be odd, but the French figures are good enough for me, as they have a bit of character. There are some more expensive ones available. Thing is, I don't need loads of figures. There are a lot of horse drawn wagons available, including gypsy caravans. I have been told they might be slightly too small, but again good enough for me.

New models for buildings and other accessories are being introduced regularly, thanks to ease of lazer cutting. Some are better than others, as they are designed for wargaming, but they can easily be modified.

As I said, I had considered 1/64 scale, but not only had problem fitting the loco chassis I wanted to use, but also the lack of accessories suitable for my model,especially road vehicles and buildings. I checked various sources but decided it was better to use 1/55 scale.

I have 2 projects planned, one is a freelance French metre line, maybe with a section of 60cm using 12mm gauge as I have resized some of my 3D printed WW1 locos. I already have a 3D printed Corpet, and body for a post war railcar(It was easier to design as it had fewer curves).

The other project is more long term, but I plan to model a very small part of the CF de Camargue with its electric locos. It will be more a working diorama of the buffer ends of the station at Arles. Amazingly the buildings still exist , despite the line closing down in the 1950s. I already have a lot of info and plans. Locos and stock will be 3D printed.

Sounds a very interesting project, Simon, and I look forward to reading more about it as it progresses. 10.5mm gauge (H0n3) works out closer to 60mm but I realise mechanisms would be much harder to source than for 12mm gauge.

I, too, look forward to reading about the progress of the project.  I am modelling the metre-gauge Tramways of the Correze in 1:55 scale and will be using P4 trackwork, as that is the other modelling I do.  So far, though, I have not built any track and am concentrating on scratch-building vehicles and a station building and engine shed at present.

A suggestion as to where to find the 1:55 scale French cars and people would be appreciated.

Mick

Mick,

Norev produce a range of 1/54 scale cars which are as close as you will get. Siku produce the Citroen Traction in 1/55, and the ex Lledo Citroem and Peugeot vans now produced by Corgi measured up as near dead on scale.

For figures check out the military modellers/wargamers 28mm scale(?) which might be a bit short and chunky . I have some French civilans from 'Berlin or Bust WW11', not the best but not too expoensive. I think there are a number of companies doing figures. Some of the older clothing(medieval) does not look out of place in rural France.

My 12mm gauge section will only be an extra, because I have a couple of locos. I want to do something harbour based as I have some very nice 1/60th scale boat kits, and I can use my 3D printed inset track, with some dual gauge possibly. Initially I wanted to fit this in an APA box(I have several in store, and was one of the first to use them for railway modelling). Not sure if one box will be enough, but with the Camargue project I can use that for items left over.

I am working in so many gauges and scales , not certain when the Camargue project will start. Research has actually been more successful than expected. I have most of what I require , just need to do a drawing for one of the Decauville coaches using known dimensions and photos, and also find out what colour locos and stock were. It might be buried in the French article I have. 

I have personal reasons for wanting to build part of the line as the local Santon figures in a local museum near where my brother lives, inspired me to start building models of buildings in the local style, which then led onto my impressionist 3D artwork.

As I have a big Tillig diesel in 12 mm gauge I will test out initial 3D printing designs in 1/76 scale(it fits the loco length better than 1/87). Just a loco and a couple of coaches, and a simple length of track, which could be operated.

Archived