Bachmann Collett 0-6-0 chassis under a Hornby Dean Goods body

I can't see that working. The boiler on the Dean goods is much lower that the one on the Collett.

Hi,

Very much correct I'm afraid.

Due to the much smaller boiler/firebox of the Dean and the design of the Bachmann Collett chassis the two simply can't be brought together.

I'd be inclined to sit back and wait events.

The Dean Goods is still able to stand comparison with modern locos despite its origins with the old Airfix/GMR range. The model is much sought after by GWR modellers who in many cases will fit a finescale chassis such as the Comet Models version even if operation on OOgauge as the loco body and tender look really good when so fitted.

Bear in mind that Hornby have given the old Airfix LMS 4F a new loco-drive chassis despite Bachmann having produced a far better model of this loco and that Bachmann have now released a 'Dukedog' - a loco very suitable for a layout based on the Cambrian lines - and which a Dean Goods is the perfect partner for.

As I said sit back and wait - that's an opportunity that the red team are VERY unlikely to let slip.

Regards

If though there is no renewal anytime soon, and you don't fancy building a kit chassis I can think of two RTR options worth exploring.

The current Bachmann pannier has the right wheelbase, and likely would fit in the Dean goods since the Pannier boiler centreline is 7'; but the wheels will be undersize by a scale 6"; although this will provide a litle extra help with getting the motor into the low boiler.

If it proves an easy fit for motor height within the boiler, then if the 2251 wheelset can be got from Bachmann as a spare, those could go in this chassis.

And then there is another possibility which I did back in the day to convert several tender drive steamers to loco drive: slot the loco chassis, and add a fold up gearbox and can motor combination. A 40:1 ratio two stage driven by a motor such as a Mashima 1220 should be compact enough for an easy fit, and will yield a quiet and very responsive drive suitable for modest speed operation of a small 0-6-0. This hangs on the axle being a standard diameter such as eighth inch or 3mm to enable a standard kit axle gear to fit.

If though there is no renewal anytime soon, and you don't fancy building a kit chassis I can think of two RTR options worth exploring.

The current Bachmann pannier has the right wheelbase, and likely would fit in the Dean goods since the Pannier boiler centreline is 7'; but the wheels will be undersize by a scale 6"; although this will provide a litle extra help with getting the motor into the low boiler.

If it proves an easy fit for motor height within the boiler, then if the 2251 wheelset can be got from Bachmann as a spare, those could go in this chassis.

And then there is another possibility which I did back in the day to convert several tender drive steamers to loco drive: slot the loco chassis, and add a fold up gearbox and can motor combination. A 40:1 ratio two stage driven by a motor such as a Mashima 1220 should be compact enough for an easy fit, and will yield a quiet and very responsive drive suitable for modest speed operation of a small 0-6-0. This hangs on the axle being a standard diameter such as eighth inch or 3mm to enable a standard kit axle gear to fit.

Hi,

A nice line of thought this but option one is almost certainly a non starter due to the size of the motor and mechanism in the pannier and the very small space available in the Dean. I've just looked at the two side by side and good idea as yours is I just don't think it will work. The other big problem is that spare Collett wheel sets are probably not available from Bachmann based on my past enquiries for parts across their range.

As for your second idea - now that is a very workable and likely to be successful method that I've used to motorise the chassis in four ex Airfix 'Castles' a few years ago. As you say its not unduly difficult and can and will result in an excellent performer.

My advice would still be to wait events though.

Regards.

Archived