The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Was anyone else disturbed by the sight of David Jason & Nicholas Lyndhurst retro dressed?

Aft'noon all,

Having just seen the TV image of David Beckham appearing with two of the retro dressed...think earliest 'Only Fools & Horses' garb...heros of my younger years I was  wondering why it left me feeling disturbed. Did anyone else find the experience less than positive?

Dave

• RMweb Premium

I think I understand the OP's point - they looked a bit pathetic really, like an ancient rock band that won't retire gracefully.

I used to love Only Fools & Horses but missed several of the later episodes - didn't Del Boy and Rodney end up mega-rich in the end?

....I'm still trying to work out whether my concern is that I must be so much older too, or whether it is always a mistake to try to go back in time....in this instance several decades.

If I hadn't enjoyed the original shows so much then I probably wouldn't have paid any attention but some of the original scenes still count amongst my favourite TV moments.

Dave

• RMweb Premium

I think I understand the OP's point - they looked a bit pathetic really, like an ancient rock band that won't retire gracefully.

I used to love Only Fools & Horses but missed several of the later episodes - didn't Del Boy and Rodney end up mega-rich in the end?

Yes they did - and that should have been the end of things. A few years later though the BBC bought it back so naturally they had to lose all the money so they could move back to Peckham and in my opinion it didn't work with me being left with the feeling that it was merely repeating the earlier jokes and lacked any originality compared to when the show started.

Archived