Coxes lock mill Addlestone - rail layout?

synthnut

• 11 months later...

Whilst searching for something else it would appear that Coxes Lock Mill was still receiving rail traffic in the mid 1970's.

The WTT commencing 01/05/1972 shows 7L52 0912 TThO Woking to Staines calling at Addlestone 0926 - 0950 and the marshalling instructions state "Convey traffic for Addlestone (Coxes Lock) only. Length Limit 25 SLU's".

The WTT commencing 06/05/1974 shows 7L52 1502 TThO Woking to Staines calling Addlestone 1516 - 1540 and the marshalling instructions state "Convey traffic for Addlestone only. Length Limit 25 SLU's, including Brake van at each end".

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 year later...
On 28/07/2020 at 19:07, Mark white said:

Hi Guys, I lived at the mill house in the 70s uptill 1980 when the mill was closed. My father was the general manager.

u have a lot of old mill photos along with the original deeds. Happy to share if anyone is interested 

reagrds 

Mark white 

Hi Mark, I am interested in pictures and memories of the Mill, particularly if you have any approaching from Hamm moor lane. My dad was born in the railway cottage and his dad opened the crossing gates and manned the signal box. He retired at the end of the fifties before your time. On 18/01/1970 the crossing box and its signals were abolished and replaced by lights. I have managed to get an aerial picture that shows the position of the house, but doesn’t show any detail. It was a small square building, with 3 stories, the roof going up to a point in the middle. I have been told the the bottom floor was accessed from the outside, down some steps. My Nan did her laundry down there in a big tub with a mangle. I have found a receipt for the mill allotments, which I have been told we’re across the railway from the cottage. 
regards,

Ruth Flint

Edited by RuthFlint
Mistyping

Interesting, I don't recollect this mill, nor Grain wagons on the Staines pick up. That was despite the person that introduced me to wagons - all of a year older than me and the other half of the committee of the Staines Model Railway Society Wagon Group  😉 lived in Addlestone. Anyway, I did get a couple of photos of Grains in Feltham MY on one of the visits we arranged, perhaps on their way to or from Coxs. 

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brgrainrivetcgorivet/e39706350

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brgraincgo/e163a8b0e

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brgraincgo/e1603f2eb

Paul

This would have been late 1980s or very early 1990s, passing Coxes Lock in the down direction and shot from a footbridge over the line, which MAY have replaced the foot crossing. The 485 is about to cross the Wey Navigation. Coxes Lock was served by self-propelled barges which had a collapsible wheelhouse to get under this very low bridge. (CJL)

485041.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

Coxes Lock Mill - probably around 1980 - when still operating. Two of the barges are moored up. As I understand it, these delivered grain. Presumably some grain also came in by rail. I think the cottage between the mill and the railway bridge may have been demolished when the mill was converted into flats. (CJL)CoxesLockc1980.jpeg.21467acb844655e976804c4c42d1bb29.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Last one, I promise. This is about ten years later, after the conversion to flats. I was fascinated by this place when it was a working mill  but the timing of my visits was pot-luck, hence I never saw grain wagons on the move or a grain barge moving.(CJL)

Coxes Lock c 1990.jpeg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, VIA185 said:

This would have been late 1980s or very early 1990s, passing Coxes Lock in the down direction and shot from a footbridge over the line, which MAY have replaced the foot crossing. The 485 is about to cross the Wey Navigation. Coxes Lock was served by self-propelled barges which had a collapsible wheelhouse to get under this very low bridge. (CJL)

485041.jpg

What an amazing pic - so much more difficult in the days before Real Time Trains gave us all the clues!

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

What an amazing pic - so much more difficult in the days before Real Time Trains gave us all the clues!

I suspect it was a tip-off while I was working for Ian Allan. Coxes Lock wouldn't have been far if I was based at Coombelands in Addlestone at the time. We used to get tip-offs from drivers, including Colin Marsden and also, on occasions from Chris Green (notably when the Black Five came to Shepperton for turning before the Windsor NSE Gala. We were just told to be at Shepperton station at 2am - it was in the days when steam wasn't allowed on tracks with 3rd rail electrification. (CJL)

12 hours ago, VIA185 said:

485041.jpg

Indeed it did, it was one of the large number of similar crossings replaced by the SR in the 1970's/80's with a "ramp-step" footbridge. This location marked one of the NR Woking MDU track maintenance boundaries at 20m 09ch just a few chains Chertsey side of the crossing site. The wheel timber bridge was forever a source of track geometry issue during my time there. I have the "modern" concrete 20 1/4 milepost head (from approx adjacent the 2nd / 3rd coach above) head in the back garden (recovered after finding it lying in the cess during an early trackwalk) - a blue diamond now exists there. Always a great location for a quiet afternoon trackwalk from West Byfleet to Coxes Lock and back to West Byfleet via the Down Spur - quite often to co-inside with the passage of the Mountfield - Soton gypsum 👍

20231020_130427.jpg

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 1