Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Loco Parts - The Birth of a Railway Tycoon

hmmm Wikepedia also says this ....

While the phoenix typically dies by fire in most versions of the legend, there are less popular versions of the myth in which the mythical bird dies and simply decomposes before being born again

Surely too perfect now to ignore

Although Stan is not due to start for a few weeks he has asked Poppy to order a few supplies in. She has no idea what this does but it's arrived.

Luckily he didnt order one of the very expensive ones but she has a nasty feeling he will be asking for those one he has worked this one out ...

Stan said he had "No idea how to use this - but how hard can it be ? "

post-20732-0-49203100-1395747414.jpg

Poppy made the mistake of visiting an auction where various locos were available for sale and decided to buy something for Stan to cut his teeth on

I decided based on some suggestions to base my first 7mm narrow gauge loco on the chassis of a Bachmann Jinty - I bought a new one so at least I know it will run properly. I am hoping that I will be able to sell the unwanted body on a well know auction site

post-20732-0-47013200-1396015752.jpg

With the body off it looks like this - should do the job nicely

post-20732-0-05618800-1396015764.jpg

post-20732-0-83223100-1396015764.jpg

post-20732-0-83367300-1396015765.jpg

The plan is to build a 7mm Narrow Gauge loco  0-6-0 probably in the style of this 0-4-2

post-20732-0-83932600-1396015832_thumb.jpg

Wotsists and doodahs

The auction hadn't gone quite as well as Poppy would have liked.

There had been plenty of items for sale that she might have bid on but some of the lots went to scrap merchants for more than she was prepared to pay for them. This was looking like it was going to be expensive, especially as Stan had only asked for various parts off the locos rather than complete locos in any case. She started to understand now why Mary Shelly was Stans favourite author.

As she made to leave the auction room she was quite sure now that the two men were indeed watching her - in fact the watching had now stopped and had been replaced by following. While these two looked more than a little odd they didn't look particularly dangerous, they actually just looked a bit ridiculous.

The tap on the shoulder wasn't quite the shock it might have been as she had noticed the shuffling behind her had been getting closer and closer for a few minutes . She slowly turned around to see the two men nervously looking at her while glancing over their shoulders like a pair of nervous crows.

"Miss, we might have what your looking for" the most dishevelled of them said. It was hard not to stare at the man and the natural point of focus was about 12 inches above his eyes, which was tricky as he was extremely tall anyway. It was obvious that this was a man who didn't bother the barbers on a regular basis. Imagine a huge birds nest, a huge ginger birds nest, actually imagine a man with a huge ginger birds nest perched on his head.

" I'm Billy" the ginger man said "and we can get you locomotive bits"

Poppy tried not to look overly interested but she suspected she had failed miserably.

"And this is my mate Billy and he helps me carry the bits " - this was accompanied by a finger pointing at the shorter, slightly drooling man. At least he was smiling, or was it grinning ?

Stan had provided a long list of parts he needed and as she read the list out the ginger one just nodded. As the list was read out the other one, who had been quiet until now just babbled - he quite clearly wasn't the sharpest tool in the box - he wasn't even the sharpest tool in the box marked 'blunt instruments'.

"Fingamebobs, got 'em, doo dahs, can get em, wotsists, know where to dig some of them up".

The conversation was odd at times but it appeared these two could get hold of most of the things on her list. They avoided explaining where they were actually getting the parts from but assured her it was all above board. She needed the parts and the prices were right so she gave them Stan's list and her contact details.

As they turned round to leave she called after them. " I didn't get your full names ".

The taller of the two explained how people always got confused by the fact they were both called Billy and that they were universally known by their nicknames. The ginger man pointed a dirty finger at the other one and said "He is such an idiot everyone calls him Berk".

The still grinning Billy wiped some dribble from his chin and pointing at the taller man's ginger birds nest simply said "and they call him 'Hair'"

It's not actually my birthday for a few weeks but I was allowed to play with ( I mean test ) one of my presents this weekend - a Gaugemaster Prodigy advance dcc controller.

I don't have a lfinalised layout plan yet let alone any trackwork so I threw an oval of Peco set track on the floor and stuck the Zimo chip in my bare Jinty chassis and it all worked first time.

It appears I have actually made some kind of start towards my first layout

post-20732-0-64826300-1396337334_thumb.jpg

Note to self - working on the floor is not fun

Archived