Hornby Rebuilt Pacifics decoder fitting

Bibby Line

Would much appreciate suggestions for the best place to locate a decoder on a Dcc Ready Hornby Rebuilt Bulleid.

There doesn't seem to be much room inside the body.

I have had success in fitting them to the RMN locos, using a TCS DP2X-UK direct plug into the board.

Hope to hear from you.

Thank you,

Eddie

• RMweb Gold

I have two rebuilt MNs and two rebuilt Light Pacifics and three have been successfully fitted with Lenz Standard+ decoder.  It's not the smallest in size, but is single-sided so you just need to ensure it's face up when you put the body back on.  It then means there's no risk of the circuit board touching anything live. The decoder is towards the front but not in the smokebox.

The other one has a Zimo MX623R. This is smaller and an easier fit, plus it is insulated on both sides so there's no risk of any shorts.

Previously two of these had DP2X-UK decoders: these fit fairly easily but I found performance a bit erratic, especially if you reduced CV5 to set a more realistic top speed.  Hence they got Lenz Standard+ instead with which they performed much better.

• 4 weeks later...

I've got a Hornby Sapphire (biggish 21 pin decoder with an adaptor harness for an 8 pin socket) in my MN. I think I had to remove a weight under the funnel area and located the decoder in there. I also had to sleeve it with the tube supplied with the loco to ensure insulation. A smaller decoder would probably fit in the same place with weight intact.

Sapphire has a few gimmicks such as it supports ADCC, has programmable auto-ops (e.g. 4 steps x run, stop, reverse, etc - once or many times) and fuel/coal/water usage when loco will stop until refuelled.

Rob

I built a Hornby Merchant Navy from ebay parts - Chassis, body and tender. It has a DCC Ready chassis, but the mistake I made was assuming any M/N body would fit - it doesn't without some very serious body modifications. A late China made body from a DCC Ready loco is required.  May be obvious, but it wasn't to me at the time. I fitted a DP2X-UK, and it works fine. It worked out a little cheaper than buying a complete loco - it was the basis for a rename and number.

Many thanks for the replies and apologies for the delay.

I also managed to fit the DP2X-UK to a couple of MN but there doesn't seem to be room on the light pacific .

Rob, I think you are right, some cutting is required.

Would be very interested to hear from a Member that has a DCC fitted loco.

Your comments and help are much appreciated.

Eddie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Many thanks for the replies and apologies for the delay.

I also managed to fit the DP2X-UK to a couple of MN but there doesn't seem to be room on the light pacific .

Rob, I think you are right, some cutting is required.

Would be very interested to hear from a Member that has a DCC fitted loco.

Your comments and help are much appreciated.

Eddie

I initially fitted DP2X-UK decoders to both my rebuilt light pacifics without encountering any space issues.  However, performance was erratic and they now have Lenz Standard+ decoders with which their performance is much improved.

Archived