Western Region 1980s freight - West of England Division, my photos

• RMweb Gold

A great thread, thanks to all for the very informative posts and photographs.

Not a very good picture, but here's a snap I took of vans parked at Severn Beach, this was in the summer of 1976.

Simon

post-19301-0-15651500-1404295510.jpg

• Like 7

Back to Stapleton Road early on a September morning in 1981.

Seven minutes later at 08.59 on that dull morning the next freight working passed, discharged caustic soda tanks from British Cellophane at Bridgwater 

post-7081-0-97128100-1404560184.jpg

47125 heads up the bank through Stapleton Road with 6C01 Bridgwater - Baglan Bay, 30/9/81

Next a minute later at 09.00 it is the 6B39 Speedlink service again, the usual power for this working was type 4 of class 45/46/47, the class 31 was unusual  

post-7081-0-16472500-1404560204.jpg

It was rare for a 31 to appear on 6B39 and even more unusual it is Imminghams 31323 at the front.

The train is not as heavy as first appearances might indicate, most of the wagons will be empty for loading clay in the west country, 30/9/81

edit 

To indicate the importance of the Speedlink feeder services in the west country here is an extract from a document entitled

List of Trains Run in Connection with Speedlink Services From 17 May 1982 

It lists the incoming and forward connections that the west country feeder services make at Severn Tunnel Junction

post-7081-0-52949400-1404561753_thumb.jpg

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
  • Like 5

Finally the last two freight trains that I managed to photograph that morning, both class 47 hauled.

On the Down Filton Main is an unidentified cement train  

post-7081-0-04036100-1404565150.jpg

47236 heads south through Stapleton Road at 10.05, 30/9/81

Lastly the long-lived clayliner service is seen with empties returning west.   

post-7081-0-84199800-1404565173.jpg

47318 works 6V53 Longport - St Blazey through Stapleton Road at 10.41,

A short distance north of Stapleton Road on the west side of the line just before reaching Narroways Junction

were two scrap yards belonging to Birds and Pugsleys, they had been dispatching scrap by rail in 16t minerals to a steelworks in Llanelli

the Lawrence Hill class 03 would make the short trip up to shunt the sidings, but rail traffic had ceased by 1980.

At least one of the scrap merchants is still in business there in 2014 though.  

The next location heading north will be Stoke Gifford Yard,

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
  • Like 5

Now we arrive at Stoke Gifford and yet again I am indebted to Colin Maggs book 'Rail Centres - Bristol' for info.

The yards at Stoke Gifford  opened in 1903 at the same time as the Badminton route and were to mainly serve Avonmouth traffic.

They closed in October 1971, which I believe coincided with the opening of the Patchway Chord which enabled trains from the

South Wales direction to run direct to Avonmouth without the need for reversal at Stoke Gifford.

Much of the site of the up yard was used for Bristol Parkway Station and its associated car park.

That however was not the end of the story as far as freight traffic at Stoke Gifford was concerned.

In the early 1970s the former Midland Railway Yate branch was reopened as far as ARCs Tytherington Quarry

and Stoke Gifford Down Yard was used for stabling the wagons used on these services.

In addition the civil engineers used Stoke Gifford for stabling trains in connection with the High Speed Route project

to upgrade the main line ready for HST services which were introduced in the late 1970s.   

By 1980 the roads in use at Stoke Gifford for freight traffic were:-

on the Upside, an Up Loop, Up Reception and Up siding.

on the Downside, a Down Loop, Down Reception and seven down sidings.

Here is a view of the Down Yard, Bristol Parkway Station and car park.  

post-7081-0-18763600-1404648151.jpg

The seven roads of the down yard contain mostly wagons in stone traffic use from Tytherington Quarry,

the PGAs on the left are probably waiting for maintenance by Marcroft Engineering staff.

There are a few stray 16t minerals and a grampus wagon of spoil. On the right two roads contain MSV stone sets, 7/9/83

Another view looking across the yard.

On the up siding are a few PGA hoppers. The gap of the former no.3 and 4 roads can be seen, when Severn Tunnel Junction Yard

closed and Speedlink marshalling was dispersed elsewhere these two roads were reinstated to cope with the additional work.

post-7081-0-05240300-1404648169.jpg

47072 appears to be on the Up Loop with a Severn Tunnel Junction - Acton feight, 7/9/83

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
  • Like 7

We used to go Severn Beach quite regularly when I was a child. There was a lovely miniature railway there which ran around the outside of a boating lake. I seem to recall the lake had an island accessed by a little bridge, and a café somewhere there. Possibly the café was actually on the little Island, but I'm not sure. I do remember being fascinated by the pointwork on the miniature railway, where there was a little engine shed. This would have been about mid 1970's.

Edited by andy stroud
  • Like 2

A short distance north of Stapleton Road on the west side of the line just before reaching Narroways Junction

were two scrap yards belonging to Birds and Pugsleys, they had been dispatching scrap by rail in 16t minerals to a steelworks in Llanelli

the Lawrence Hill class 03 would make the short trip up to shunt the sidings, but rail traffic had ceased by 1980.

I remember ex-BR Cl.03 shunter D2123 in Birds yard, Stapleton Road - it stood there for years, never saw it move, and suspect it was in use as some sort of generator ? 

As for Stapleton Road, the pictures sent a shiver down my spine .................. was relieved of £5 by Nelson St. Magistrates in the early 70s after a BTP bod nabbed me leaving a moving train, such was my haste to see Cardiff City beat 'the Gas' !!

Brian R

I remember ex-BR Cl.03 shunter D2123 in Birds yard, Stapleton Road - it stood there for years, never saw it move, and suspect it was in use as some sort of generator ? 

As for Stapleton Road, the pictures sent a shiver down my spine .................. was relieved of £5 by Nelson St. Magistrates in the early 70s after a BTP bod nabbed me leaving a moving train, such was my haste to see Cardiff City beat 'the Gas' !!

Brian R

Ah yes the Gas.

In the early 1980s I worked with both  City and Rovers season ticket holders, as a result for a couple of seasons in the mid 80s  watched both.

I watched a lot of games at Eastville, there was a 14.xx Temple Meads - Severn Beach that called at Stapleton Road 

and I could just about get onto the terrace at 15.00. Ian (Ollie) Holloway was one of the players I remember.

Ref the 03 in the scrap yard, I think it was used as a generator, was it mounted on a concrete plinth?

cheers  

• RMweb Gold

Yes I think D2123 was a static generator - bright yellow I recall, as per one of the forthcoming Bachmann 4mm releases.

Edit : photographic proof

http://bristol-rail.co.uk/wiki/File:D2123-1.jpg

Nice views of Stoke Gifford yards, most of my teenage spotting years 1974-9 were spent at that vantage point, long since inaccessible for viewing purposes.

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 1

Now we arrive at Stoke Gifford and yet again I am indebted to Colin Maggs book 'Rail Centres - Bristol' for info.

The yards at Stoke Gifford  opened in 1903 at the same time as the Badminton route and were to mainly serve Avonmouth traffic.

They closed in October 1971, which I believe coincided with the opening of the Patchway Chord which enabled trains from the

South Wales direction to run direct to Avonmouth without the need for reversal at Stoke Gifford.

Much of the site of the up yard was used for Bristol Parkway Station and its associated car park.

That however was not the end of the story as far as freight traffic at Stoke Gifford was concerned.

In the early 1970s the former Midland Railway Yate branch was reopened as far as ARCs Tytherington Quarry

and Stoke Gifford Down Yard was used for stabling the wagons used on these services.

In addition the civil engineers used Stoke Gifford for stabling trains in connection with the High Speed Route project

to upgrade the main line ready for HST services which were introduced in the late 1970s.   

By 1980 the roads in use at Stoke Gifford for freight traffic were:-

on the Upside, an Up Loop, Up Reception and Up siding.

on the Downside, a Down Loop, Down Reception and seven down sidings.

Here is a view of the Down Yard, Bristol Parkway Station and car park.  

attachicon.gifscan0006a.jpg

The seven roads of the down yard contain mostly wagons in stone traffic use from Tytherington Quarry,

the PGAs on the left are probably waiting for maintenance by Marcroft Engineering staff.

There are a few stray 16t minerals and a grampus wagon of spoil. On the right two roads contain MSV stone sets, 7/9/83

Another view looking across the yard.

On the up siding are a few PGA hoppers. The gap of the former no.3 and 4 roads can be seen, when Severn Tunnel Junction Yard

closed and Speedlink marshalling was dispersed elsewhere these two roads were reinstated to cope with the additional work.

attachicon.gifscan0005a.jpg

47072 appears to be on the Up Loop with a Severn Tunnel Junction - Acton feight, 7/9/83

cheers

In that first photo, the nearest 16-tonner on the left-hand road seems to be loaded on a piped Weltrol or Flatrol; presumably a derailment casualty.

I seem to remember a coal yard on the east side of the line, somewhere near to where Abbey Wood station is now. My wife used to drag me around a large furniture and home electrics superstore there at the time, and their car park was right next to the sidings. There used to be some Coal Concentration wagons there most times.

I always meant to take a camera but kept forgetting, and regret that very much now.

I seem to remember a coal yard on the east side of the line, somewhere near to where Abbey Wood station is now. My wife used to drag me around a large furniture and home electrics superstore there at the time, and their car park was right next to the sidings. There used to be some Coal Concentration wagons there most times.

I always meant to take a camera but kept forgetting, and regret that very much now.

Filton Coal Concentration Depot; I'm trying to remember who the operator was.

Bristol Mechanised Coal company apparently.

Opened in 1965 - one of the "most modern in the country" then.

http://bristol-rail.co.uk/wiki/Filton_Coal_Concentration_Depot

I used to routinely see 37s parked there in the 1970s.

Neil

What was odd was the non-rail-served 'Coal Concentration Depot' on the west side of the line just north of Muller Road. It had all the coal cells and hoppers, the conveyors, but no railway.. Had it been rail-connected once?

At the beginning of the 1980s the main workload of Stoke Gifford Yard was dealing with stone traffic from ARCs Tytherington Quarry,

which although the output was small compared to that coming from the Mendip Quarries, was still a considerable tonnage.

There were usually 5 or 6 trains each weekday from Tytherington which were worked as local trips to Stoke Gifford,

they have appeared in the pages of the May 1982 local trip booklet that I have already posted, but here is page 9 from

the local trip booklet that shows the timings of all the trips:-  

post-7081-0-63026800-1405373851.jpg

The destinations for the limestone from Tytherington varied over the years but a number of stone terminals come to mind.

There were usually two trains a day for Wolverton, these were formed of 36 PGA hoppers leased from Procor,

these were worked by pairs of class 37s for which Bath Road had received its first small allocation of the class in the 1970s.

If a pair of 37s was not available a class 47 would deputise and the load would be 30 PGAs.

Several terminals were served by trains of MSV tipplers, for which I think two sets of wagons were provided and 'slip' working

took place, that is the loaded set was worked out from Stoke Gifford and on arrival at the terminal the loco would berth the loaded

set, and return with the empty set ready waiting from the previous days working.

Appleford and Oxford Banbury Road terminals received sets of about 34 MSVs while the Theale terminal had trains of 41 MSVs,

these were usually worked by type 4 locos of classes 45, 46, or 47.

The terminal at Redditch was worked in reverse in as much that a London Midland allocated loco and crew worked down to

Stoke Gifford each evening with an empty set, and, after taking a PNB, swapped over for a loaded set and worked back north.

The sets used in the Redditch flow were 26 wagons of a mix of MSVs and the longer MTVs.

There was also a flow to Southend which ran once a week formed of 26 HTVs 21t hoppers with the rebuilt bodies. 

Another flow started in the early 1980s of track ballast for the Southern Region, each evening a set of 10 sealion hoppers

would arrive from Woking via Salisbury, sometimes if it was early it would recess in the up siding.

These trains were normally worked by a single class 33 though rarely a pair of 33s turned up

post-7081-0-27412400-1405373861.jpg

Eastleigh allocated 33025 works the empties from Woking up through Bristol Parkway Station 22/5/80,

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
  • Like 5

The trips to Tytherington Quarry formed of MSVs were worked by various type 4 locos including locos from other regions

as fill in turns perhaps a Midland or Eastern Region loco that worked south overnight on parcels or mail services.

post-7081-0-99726400-1405420777.jpg

Totons 45101 stands on the up siding at Stoke Gifford and is waiting to work trip 82, 7B82 08.55 Stoke Gifford - Tytherington Quarry with empty MSVs, 10/7/85

cheers

• Like 4

At the beginning of the 1980s the main workload of Stoke Gifford Yard was dealing with stone traffic from ARCs Tytherington Quarry,

which although the output was small compared to that coming from the Mendip Quarries, was still a considerable tonnage.

There were usually 5 or 6 trains each weekday from Tytherington which were worked as local trips to Stoke Gifford,

they have appeared in the pages of the May 1982 local trip booklet that I have already posted, but here is page 9 from

the local trip booklet that shows the timings of all the trips:-  

attachicon.gifscan0007a.jpg

The destinations for the limestone from Tytherington varied over the years but a number of stone terminals come to mind.

There were usually two trains a day for Wolverton, these were formed of 36 PGA hoppers leased from Procor,

these were worked by pairs of class 37s for which Bath Road had received its first small allocation of the class in the 1970s.

If a pair of 37s was not available a class 47 would deputise and the load would be 30 PGAs.

Several terminals were served by trains of MSV tipplers, for which I think two sets of wagons were provided and 'slip' working

took place, that is the loaded set was worked out from Stoke Gifford and on arrival at the terminal the loco would berth the loaded

set, and return with the empty set ready waiting from the previous days working.

Appleford and Oxford Banbury Road terminals received sets of about 34 MSVs while the Theale terminal had trains of 41 MSVs,

these were usually worked by type 4 locos of classes 45, 46, or 47.

The terminal at Redditch was worked in reverse in as much that a London Midland allocated loco and crew worked down to

Stoke Gifford each evening with an empty set, and, after taking a PNB, swapped over for a loaded set and worked back north.

The sets used in the Redditch flow were 26 wagons of a mix of MSVs and the longer MTVs.

There was also a flow to Southend which ran once a week formed of 26 HTVs, 21t hoppers with rebuilt bodies. 

Another flow started in the early 1980s of track ballast for the Southern Region, each evening a set of 10 sealion hoppers

would arrive from Woking via Salisbury, sometimes if it was early it would recess in the up siding.

These trains were normally worked by a single class 33 though rarely a pair of 33s turned up

attachicon.gifscan0009a.jpg

Eastleigh allocated 33025 works the empties from Woking up through Bristol Parkway Station 22/5/80,

cheers

Wasn't Parkway spartan in those days? I recollect it wasn't easily accessible without a car either.

Here are some more views of the stone trips from Stoke Gifford to Tytherington

first a general view of the east end of Stoke Gifford 

post-7081-0-53428700-1405530406.jpg

The Stoke Gifford shunter sits in the sunshine on the upside ground frame waiting for the road for the 08.55 trip to Tytherington, 7/9/83. 

I had not previously paid much attention to these photos, closer inspection reveals that the 08.55 trip has a mix of wagon types the shunter is attatching 4 PGA hoppers to the front of a set of sealions possibly these have been delayed from the previous afternoons working from and to Woking, it was most unusual for sealions to be loaded on daytime trips otherwise. The PGAs  are probably going up to Tytherington to be detached in the cripple siding for repair by Marcroft Engineering.

post-7081-0-46993600-1405530428.jpg

At the head of the 08.55 trip to Tytherington the driver of 47088 Samson looks back. I think the shunter wearing hi-viz is Chris Nutman

on the right is the carriage and wagon examiner Mark Herrington who I later worked with at Barton Hill where he was a driver for EWS, 7/9/83

There was the ability to cross two Tytherington trips at Yate as on the beginning of the Tytherington branch there was an inwards road and an outwards road. It was also possible for returning loaded trains to run wrong line down over the up main from Yate as far as Westerleigh Junction.   

post-7081-0-15545700-1405530447.jpg

47032 has worked the 05.45 trip from Stoke Gifford to Tytherington with a set of MSVs and is seen running into Stoke Gifford down loop with the return 08.45 from Tytherington, 7/9/83

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
  • Like 15

Here are some more views of the stone trips from Stoke Gifford to Tytherington

first a general view of the east end of Stoke Gifford

scan0011a.jpg

The Stoke Gifford shunter sits in the sunshine on the upside ground frame waiting for the road for the 08.55 trip to Tytherington, 7/9/83.

I had not previously paid much attention to these photos, closer inspection reveals that the 08.55 trip has a mix of wagon types the shunter is attatching 4 PGA hoppers to the front of a set of sealions possibly these have been delayed from the previous afternoons working from and to Woking, it was most unusual for sealions to be loaded on daytime trips otherwise. The PGAs are probably going up to Tytherington to be detached in the cripple siding for repair by Marcroft Engineering.

scan0012a.jpg

At the head of the 08.55 trip to Tytherington the driver of 47088 Samson looks back. I think the shunter wearing hi-viz is Chris Nutman

on the right is the carriage and wagon examiner Mark Herrington who I later worked with at Barton Hill where he was a driver for EWS, 7/9/83

There was the ability to cross two Tytherington trips at Yate as on the beginning of the Tytherington branch there was an inwards road and an outwards road. It was also possible for returning loaded trains to run wrong line down over the up main from Yate as far as Westerleigh Junction.

scan0014a.jpg

47032 has worked the 05.45 trip from Stoke Gifford to Tytherington with a set of MSVs and is seen running into Stoke Gifford down loop with the return 08.45 from Tytherington, 7/9/83

cheers

Hi Kev

Interesting thread, however I think a slight error in this post, the shunter is most definately Chris Nutman but i think the second person is Colin Salvage(sp?) now FGW driver who appears to have been the secondman. The 'tapper' would probably have been hiding (or more likely asleep!) up the steps to the left :)

Hi Kev

Interesting thread, however I think a slight error in this post, the shunter is most definately Chris Nutman but i think the second person is Colin Salvage(sp?) now FGW driver who appears to have been the secondman. The 'tapper' would probably have been hiding (or more likely asleep!) up the steps to the left :)

Hi

thanks for the confirmation of Chris Nutman.

I thought it was Mark Herrington in the photo, but did not know many of the Bath Road traincrew so you are probably right. 

To be honest I first worked with Mark in 1999 when i went to Barton Hill as a roster clerk.

I knew he had been an examiner at Stoke Gifford and Tytherington and must have spoken to him many times as I was in Bristol TOPS in the 1980s.

Do you remember the cartoon drawing of the Stoke Gifford staff that used to be displayed in the shunters cabin there? Mark was one of the staff featured.

cheers

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

After a break for the summer it is time to press on with this thread.

We have a new laptop but unfortunately my old scanner won't talk to it so I am using the old laptop to upload photos

therefore progress will be slow!

We are still at Stoke Gifford, when I first knew the yard in the late 1970s the main traffic was stone from Tytherington.

Other trains would call into the yard though, either waiting for traincrew relief or sometimes trains for Avonmouth or

Lawrence Hill that arrived over night would have to recess as those locations were not open 24 hours a day.

First up is a train for ICI Severnside, the signalmen and shunters at Hallen Marsh came on duty at 05.00 each morning

so trains arriving at night would have to await acceptance

post-7081-0-92293800-1415117320.jpg

With the easterly morning sun shining in our eyes we see 45023 waiting in Stoke Gifford Down Yard 

with liquified ammonia tanks from Heysham for ICI Severnside, 7/9/83

And now a quick look at traffic passing through, this train was seen in the background of an earlier shot in the thread 

post-7081-0-21663000-1415117336.jpg

47072 heads onto the Up Loop with a vacuum braked service from Severn Tunnel Junction to Acton, coal traffic predominates, 7/9/83

cheers 

Edited by Rivercider
  • Like 13