Eastleigh Works Drawings

Hi all,

Earlier this month I started a thread about scratchbuilding buildings and I have decided to give it a go. I am now after some plans for The buildings I want to attempt to scatchbuild. I am after the plans of the main works buildings and some of the other buildings with track running into them.

Many thanks,

Will

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

Earlier this month I started a thread about scratchbuilding buildings and I have decided to give it a go. I am now after some plans for The buildings I want to attempt to scatchbuild. I am after the plans of the main works buildings and some of the other buildings with track running into them.

Many thanks,

Will

I may be mistaken, however I believe the NRM has the Eastleigh 'collection'.

Cheers

Hi Will.

I can't help you with the buildings' footprints or ex/interiors much, I'm afraid. A couple of questions tho'. What era are you modelling ? and have you tried scaling the existing buildings from Google Earth ?.

I seem to remember a feature describing the works, in a periodical, way back, either 'Locomotives Illustrated' , 'Back Track' or something like?. I'll have a rummage.

As for track layouts, there's the 'Track Layout Diagrams of the Southern Railway and BR S.R. Section 2, Southampton' by the late G. A. Pryer.

Published by R. A. Cooke. (1983).

There's a very slim chance that a copy might be still available from R. A. Cooke, " Evergreen ", School Lane, Harwell, Oxfordshire, OX11 0ES.

Then, again, there's always Ebay.

Regards.

Hi ag'in.

The article I referred to in my previous post can be found in the Oct. 2002 issue of 'Steam Days'. Publ'r, Redgauntlet / Ian Allan, ISSN 0269 0020.

The 7 page piece, by Cliff Hudson, describes the Works as it was in Spring 1962. On pages 634/5 there's a panoramic photo, taken by Colin Boocock from the top of the main office block, showing the complete frontage of the workshops as they were in 1960. Accompanying this is a description of the layout and a simplified plan.

As Mallard60022 advises, your best bet would be with the NRM's Archives, or the South Western Circle.

Regards.

Thanks Alastair,

I've found what I was looking for on the NRM Archive Page However it currently states:

Eastleigh Works (2006-7159)

1600 drawings of works plant and machinery, layout etc. Also maintenance files, repair schedules etc. Currently being listed, limited access.

i'll give them a phone to see if there is any news on that.

Thanks for the link.

Will

Archived