Card Modeling Exchange

Wooden Engine House #1.pdfWooden Engine House #2.pdfHello I have been making my own card models in a cut and paste fashion for a year now using textures from other manufactures I have learned how to do this with the computer and have a structure or two that I would like to exchange with others who are doing the same I would also like someone to discuss ideas with if anyone is interested please contact me off line Thank you PaulWooden Engine House #1.pdfWooden Engine House #2.pdf 

Hello Again I want to give credit to Clever Models for the textures I used in this structure also you will need page 1 and page 2 to build this if you make an extra copy of page 1 you will have the material to cut out the battens to apply to the structure Please pass along any comments good or bad I am looking at ways to improve my models and if you build this please post a photo in the forum I would also enjoy seeing kitbashes using this structure for added ideas Thank You Again Paul

This is my last plea I find it somewhat disturbing that with the number of times this structure has been downloaded that not one reply has been posted My intent with this post was to see what improvements I could do to my designs The fact that Paper is not thought of as modeling media in the US I thought I would go to the experts to gain insight So if you like this structure or if you dont I would like to hear Why Waiting for your replies with interest Paul

Hi Paul.

I think you may find that even though items might be downloaded it could be some time before people get around to making them up.

Quite a few people would have items stacked away waiting to get built.

I downloaded the pdf yesterday but I'm working on something else right now so it could be some time before I get around to looking further at it.

I'm sure there are others like myself in the same boat.

One thing I suppose that could be done is to suggest what card stock to use or whether plastic card might be better for the main structure.

Another idea would be to make the downloads available in different textures. I know its a wooden engine shed but maybe corrugated iron sheets or similar might be used.

Just a few ideas that's all.

Thank you for your reply I do understand that it might be sometime before the model is built and as far as the card stock is concerned the fact that I am in the US and we use different terms I would not want to confuse anyone I have no intentions of turning this into a job only a way of sharing fellowship so the textures that I have on hand are the textures I use Some questions I have are I am using an 8.5"X11" format dos this fit on your paper does the model have appeal do you think all of the bits are to much of a bother or should I add more I am open to any questions Thanks for the reply Paul

Hi Paul,

I opened one of the pdfs to have a look but did not save it - it stated that it was HO scale (3.5 mm to the foot) and appeared to be American in style so it was of little interest to me as I model UK prototypes in OO (4mm to the foot). However, it looks fine and I'm sure other HO modellers on here would appreciate your work.

You ask a question about paper size. I think it is true to say that A4 size paper is universal here in the UK for home printing. An A4 sheet measures approximately 8.25 inches by 11.75 inches. I think the size you state 8.5 x 11 might cause a few issues as it wider than A4.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

If you browse through this section you will also find other similar posts where some buildings and texture sheets have already been shared, its not that we are ignoring you, I have downloaded the pdf but will not be able to look at it for a few days as work unfortunately has to come before my modelling.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Paul

As Brian above, I also opened and had a look, but the style of the building wouldn't suit the region that I'm modelling, so I moved on. I did, however, note that the number of downloads increased by one (I opened the second one twice to prove the point to myself).

Remember that every time the file is opened for viewing on any device, that it is effectively "downloaded" to that device but not necessarily saved to any permanent storage on that device. It is likely that a great many of the downloads were just that; a quick look and move on.

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul

I have done something similar myself in the past. Your kit looks very good. The only thing I'd add would be to provide the main door frame and window frames as separate items. I don't want to be the copyright police, but are Clever Models ok with you putting the files up using their textures? I think I have seen them on here.

You might want to provide some sort of screen print or photo in your post So that people can decide whether the file is something they are interested in before they download it. I tend to take the download and save it as a jpg. If you want to cover Europe and older paper sizes (letter, etc), then you could make sure that your components are on the page in such a way that they fit into the length of the letter size (11.5"), which is shorter, and the 8.25" width of the A4 size, which is narrower. Don't forget to provide a small margin for printers that don't print to the edge.

I hope that helps

cheers

Jason

To be quite honest I didnt mean to post the files it just happened I wanted to trade my models with others who are doing the same type of work via Email Clever Models did allow me to share my models as long as I point out that these are not my textures and are a kitbash using Clever Models parts I have a number of others that I have been working on But these will require a trade They are all American based buildings and ideal for someone doing On30 but they will have to be enlarged because I do my design work in HO to get as many parts as I can on one sheet of paper If anyone is interested please contact me at paulegrijr@gmail.com

• RMweb Gold

That's great Paul. I'm not doing anything North American at the moment, but I do have a CPR octagonal water tower that I photographed in Cranbrook and converted into a kit a couple of years ago that you/anyone can have. I'll look for it when I get back home. :)

Cheers

Jason

One problem is that there is no way to view your PDF without downloading it. So regardless of intention to build or not we can not see your product any other way. I've just downloaded the engine shed PDF which to my mind looks more like a livery stable or barn.

I think it may help if you included a jpeg or two in one of your posts to show the finished article. That way people may download the PDF if they think it is useful, rather than like myself out of idle curiosity. 

Archived