My new project - London K class trolleybus in 1/43

I'd appreciate input from you learned gentlemen here; I'm looking at adapting a coach lighting kit to illuminate 1058, yep, I've already numbered the model, on the basis that I've got several pictures of this trolley from a number of angles, so I can decorate the model as it was, almost to a particular date!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DCC-COACH-LIGHTING-KITS-IN-WARM-WHITE-COOL-WHITE-or-AMBER-/161163610716?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&var=&hash=item2586198a5c

If you could take a look at this item and let me know which you think would be most appropriate for the vehicle; either warm white or amber - there's a small pic on the drop down image menu on the left with a comparison; I've already eliminated the cool white option which would be far more suitable for modern vehicles with fluorescent lighting.

there's a video taken at Carlton Colville museum on the above link - my first inclination was warm white but I'm not so sure having looked at the video; maybe the amber would give a better effect as the lighting on these trolleys was low voltage (I believe 24v 12w as on the RT bus), and would value anyone elses opinion, whether viewed through rose-tinted specs or otherwise; it's the overall effect I'm looking to recreate here!

2q2fp6c.jpg

Here's a quick shot of a different method of constructing the rear dome; the front just had simple formers for the shape whereas I've tried a different approach for the back.

I made the formers and then added a strip of plasticard at the top of the window and at the leading edge of the dome, and then cut and curved some 20thou to follow the roofline, thus the rear dome will require only a skim of filler and be much lighter; this should reduce the likelihood of warping. The corners will be similarly packed, maybe with some expanded polystyrene, carved to shape, or possibly some hard foam, origin unknown, that I have found skulling around the bowels of my bits box.....

• Like 4

I have some warm white 12v LED Strip similer to the ones you show, and I would be happy to send you a strip of them FOC so that you can try them, but I think the Amber would suit better for the look you are after - PM me if you would like the LEDs.

Cheers,

Bob.

ta3ack.jpg

Now the centre sections of the roof have been filled, shaped and refilled and smoothed, Isopon P38 is really good to work with, being very easily shaped by sanding and carving with a scalpel.

Aside from the roof shape, the 'tumblehome' on the lower edges of the body is quite apparent by the trailing edge of the mudguard.

@ bobster; you have a PM Bob :-)

• Like 5

ix5en6.jpg

The rear end, now complete; nice idea Evil Bus Driver; I was thinking that making a mould of a Corgi Regal wheel and casting six reproductions would be less wasteful than buying three Regals merely to use the front wheels; I've seen silicon moulding kits on Ebay and was wondering what hardness of silicon would be appropriate; any ideas?

I've started construction of the roof 'plug-in' as well; I'll be using the same technique as with the rear dome - the formers are all cut and fixed, and its a case of using the spacers and skimming with body filler - apart from the section with the trolleypoles which will be plasticard laminates almost to the top with just a light skim for shape. The reason for this is to give the trolleypoles something stable to locate into - they come with a short tube which will be located and glued into a drilled hole.

fehy8o.jpg

I've also added the front lower window frames to the cab windows; these were fixed panes on both offside and nearside of the K's, some earlier classes had an opening window on the drivers side and a single piece of fixed glass on the nearside. The opening sections were hinged at the top and in later years were often packed at the bottom (where they lay over the lower fixed glass) with newspaper to prevent draughts and rattling.

2useefa.jpg

1058 doesn't appear to suffer from this malady and in photos seems to be in fine fettle up to the end in May 1962...... So no crafting 1/43 issues of the 'Daily Sketch' or some other defunct daily paper!

I've also shaped the lower edges of the front mudguards as they were too 'straight edged' at the bottom - they now curve smoothly, following the bottom edge of the bdywork

Edited by Mister Spoons
  • Like 6

egpv8o.jpg

Well, that's the front cab window frames completed, and the construction of the main shell draws to a close; I'll be giving the shell a good wash and scrub before priming, and once the shell is all one colour I'll be able to see any areas that require remedial attention. I know there's a couple of pinholes around the wheel arches and a few small pocks where two strips of moulding meet, these will require a smidgin of filler or stopper.

There's also a few holes that need drilling for small items such as mirrors, wipers, sidelamps etc, and these will be drilled after priming but before the colour coats are applied. That way the holes should only require a couple of twists from the drillbit, so less likelihood of damaging the painted surface......

That's not to say I'll not be busy; there's seating for 71 ( 70 passengers + driver), cab equipment, lighting, roof & overhead current collection stuff, etc etc all to be fabricated and finished!

I'm also considering a rush-hour load of passengers and crew to bring the model to life as well; so I may have the task of creating a Gibson ticket machine in 1/43 too..

Happy days

Dave

• Like 5

I like the model, very nice.  I too am doing a 1/43 bus at present from the Wistow kit.

I wonder about the use of Corgi wheels as being 1/50 scale they may spoil the excellent work so far.

I think I have one, but have not been able to find it to measure the wheels/tyres.

Merf.

You could be right there Merfyn; when I saw your post I had a 'light-bulb moment' regarding wheels/tyres, and came across a picture of the Wistow Models T Type AEC - the wheels look perfect for the trolley project so I've mailed the address I found for Wistow on the Gauge O Guild wbsite; hopefully he will be happy to sell these as a separate part...... Which bus are you building? I believe that Jon Fitness is building the Leyland PD on here and a fine build it looks too!

Edited by Mister Spoons

I'm doing a 30+ year old Leyland TD1, at a bit of a standstill at present but your scratchbuild and Jon's kit make me want to carry on with it.

Never thought about Wistow doing an AEC.

Merf.

One went on Ebay recently......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WISTOW-MODELS-7mm-O-GAUGE-GREEN-LINE-COACH-KIT-/261444671395?pt=UK_Collectables_Bus_CoachCollectables_SM&hash=item3cdf5117a3

Thanks for the link to Kingfisher Models Alan, they do have a couple of suitable wheels; there's an AEC type with step rings that I think I'll order, not a lot of money involved so if they don't suit this model they will get used on something else!

The trolley has now had a light coat of Halfords grey primer and this has highlighted a few areas that need attention before the colour coats:

kdv6zs.jpg

w7jszm.jpg

I like the effect of the louvre transfers on the lower front panel; they are produced by Archer Fine Transfers in the USA, not cheap but very effective! They are a resin printed on a carrier film and I came across them by chance; I really don't think I could have done better with plasticard strip, and there's so many on the sheet I could stock Isleworth Depot, and Fulwell Depot with a full complement of 1/43 trolleys and still have some decals left! I recommend these....

1zfjsqq.jpg

2pqta20.jpg

It's much easier to see any flaws once the model is all on colour, and there's a number of pock marks on the front and rear domes that require a smudge of P38, like these below on the front dome:

25jw1m9.jpg

Nothing unexpected there; I've also got a couple of pinholes around the rear mudguards, and on the rear 'tween deck corner panels; I'll give the primer another hour or so to settle and deal with these blemishes.

• Like 8

24xjvqh.jpg

Here's the roof; depocked! I've gone all round the shell with the P38, filling the small imperfections and smoothing, and repriming.
Now I'm happy with the finish - I'll leave the shell overnight now, and in the morning will rub down and providing I find no last minute cosmetic issues I'll be applying the first coat of red; again a Halfords can - the colour I have is Ford Rosso Red which is a pretty close match to London Transport red, which is actually called Ayres Red; It's almost indiscernibly darker than Humbrol 19 which I feel is a tad bright on larger scale models; I've used the Rosso Red on a 7mm scale LT tram with satisfying results, and having matched a small swatch to 1253 at the LT Museum at Covent Garden I'm sure I'd not find anything that matches the original so well. I don't know what others feel but I think that the current LT Bus red is a fair bit brighter, but this could be down to the differences in application or paint technology. At a guess I would say that the best a bus will now get is a one coat 'blow-over' with two-pack, compared with a multi stage application back in the days when public transport in London was a quality service, not a profit-led enterprise operated by 'entrepreneurs', I worked at Aldenham in the late 70's/early 80's and the paintshop there was still producing quality, even though the 'writing was on the wall'..... Oh, and the canteen food was brilliant too  :senile:

• Like 5

2s9rss6.jpg

Up early this morning to drop my wife at the UndergrounD; and decided to get the paint out!

Trolleybuses in different scales here to show the size of my effort; in the middle is the Corgi Q1, and to the right the Oxford Diecasts model; also a Q1. The only pre-war London trolleybus model in (fairly) recent years was the Pirate Models 461 model, a white metal kit that made up in most classes from C2 to K2; I must have built a dozen of these in the 80's in different flavours, including a cut-and-shut of the short B1, and the rather odd 1671 with 4-wheel steering. Wish I still had them now; they were sold to Model Road and Rail, an excellent collectors shop in Worcester Park, long gone alas.....

2mqw9bp.jpg

The red hasn't rendered well in the photos, I think that my lighting has a lot to do with it, we have all these new-fangled CFL bulbs, down to Mrs. Spoons who hugs trees in her spare time and makes a lot of meals involving pulses.........

2exwis5.jpg

The finish is actually not bad, apart from one small fibre which fortunately is not going to be visible one the adverts are on, I'll rub it down locally with 2000 grade once the paint has hardened.

3480sba.jpg

2h4f2px.jpg

The colour on the front is probably closer to reality than the side which is directly lit; I'm currently waiting for my new airbrush to arrive which will be used for the detailing once I've had some practice, the rear dome is to be gloss brown and there's several cream bands to apply, as well as some black lining which I'll cheat and use decals; my hands aren't steady enough to do otherwise......

I'l resist the urge to 'fiddle' with the shell until the paint is properly hard, and crack on with other stuff; I've another set of adverts to work on....

• Like 7

Don't forget the Little Bus Company L3 and K2 trolleybuses from recent years also. :) This is the L3 - spot the mistake on the windscreens though: I must redo them! I should also replace that moulded on rear handrail.

L3LHStopfrontcropped.jpg

L3LHStoprearcropped.jpg

I also built one of those Pirate kits as a C class, many years ago. I would probably do a better job nowadays but it wasn't too bad.

p.s. Excellent work on your K2. It looks wonderful.

Edited by SRman
  • Like 3

Superb modelling Mister Spoons.

I've always been a fan of the UK trolleybus, especially the silent power of the imposing six-wheelers. :good:

I've got a few pics of the LT's Covent Garden Museum's Cl. K2, No.1253, if anyone's interested.

Unfortunately, the photos of the wheels are rather blurred.

Regards.

@ SRMan; I always forget Tonys wonderful stuff; When they become available again I will have an L and a K, suitable replacements for the Corgi Q when I sell them to a Spanish collector; a sort of 'Art imitating life' as it were; your L is a super job; do you spray or brush finish? I do like the look of the L3, and my mind is already working overtime on how to achieve that smooth dome; P38 and formers method I think, and add the rainshields in plasticard, Check your PM's a bit later too SRMan :sungum:

@Ceptic; feel free to post them here Sir! I was up at Covent Garden taking pictures of the cab and roof of 1253 a couple of weeks back; full of screaming bogie-munchers but I got some useful images - the balcony over 1253 was very handy! I'll be up there again soon, joining the museum friends was a good move, free admission to the museum.......

• Like 1

LED's arrived safely Bob; many thanks, I should have PM'd you so apologies there - they are very nicely spaced for my model, if a touch bright, but I have a tin of clear yellow lacquer that I will spray a little on one lens for a comparison - do you mind me asking which supplier you bought from?

Regards

David

While the paint is hardening properly I'm going make a start on 'fixtures and fittings'.

I am going to make a simple set of jigs for the seating; just from scrap wood - to make 15 identical left-hand seats and 15 right-hand could be a chore, so a simple jig for the seat bases and one for the seat backs will make it so much easier, then I can cut sufficient backs in one go with a fine-toothed hacksaw which will just need the corners filing, likewise the bases. then a strip of wood with another at the correct angle for mass-assembly of the seat assemblies.

Upholstery? I have a cunning plan, I found an image of real trolleybus moquette on line, and after a bit of fiddling to make the pattern line up, I now have a sheet of moquette that in 1/43 is around 25 feet wide and 18 feet long! I'll print this onto white decal film, and lacquer it, followed by a coat of matt varnish for that 'clothy' appearance.

Seats will be painted with satin brown on the front and satin green on the back; when the moquette decal is applied, there's a strip of brown leather on the aisle side of each seat, which the satin brown will replicate.....

Handrails? Again a simple jig; two nails bashed into a piece of wood the right distance apart, and a spool of 0.75mm silver coloured wire - simples! Bit of old-school modelling there!

• Like 2

Upholstery? I have a cunning plan, I found an image of real trolleybus moquette on line, and after a bit of fiddling to make the pattern line up, I now have a sheet of moquette that in 1/43 is around 25 feet wide and 18 feet long! I'll print this onto white decal film, and lacquer it, followed by a coat of matt varnish for that 'clothy' appearance.

Please post photos of this method, step by step, as the idea could work with carriage seats.

@ SRMan; I always forget Tonys wonderful stuff; When they become available again I will have an L and a K, suitable replacements for the Corgi Q when I sell them to a Spanish collector; a sort of 'Art imitating life' as it were; your L is a super job; do you spray or brush finish? I do like the look of the L3, and my mind is already working overtime on how to achieve that smooth dome; P38 and formers method I think, and add the rainshields in plasticard, Check your PM's a bit later too SRMan :sungum:

Hi Mister Spoons. Do you intend to convert any of those Spanish Q1s to diesel power before sending them over?  ;)  ;) As you say, you would be copying what happened in real life! :D

As for painting my models, nowadays I tend to use automotive spray packs for primer and coats in approximately the correct base colours (in this case, a red), followed by brush painting with very thin coats of the correct colours (or as close as I have in my possession to the correct ones). Getting correct paint colours over here in Australia has always been difficult but now it is almost impossible with the mailing restrictions.

The LBC models do come up nicely. They do have a few compromises to help simplify construction but are also well thought out - I know some of the thought processes Tony goes through when designing the kits. My photos show all too cruelly where my finish is less than perfect!

I received your PM and have replied - with many thanks for your generous offer.