What software?

Dear all,

I'm toying with buying some 2d/3d software as I want to try preparing my own drawings for lazer cutting, etching and maybe even 3d printing. I dont want to spend a fortune - I have a limited modelling budget and what I spend on software will reduce the sums available for all things GWR. I have no engineering background and I've never used cad before.

What software do you suggest? I've seen the long list of software links you have put together, but still have no idea which to try. Does prepping drawings for etching need different software than for laser cutting fir example?

Has anyone used total cad 2d 3d version 2? Would you recommend it for novices?

Thanks for any advice you can give

Regards

Duncan

Hi Duncan, welcome to the wonderful but slightly confusing world of computer assisted design.

Unfortunately you are probably looking at at least two different bits of software, and possibly three for laser cutting, etching and 3d printing respectively.  On the upside, there are perfectly good free tools for all of these.

For laser cutting and etching I recommend "inkscape", which is a free vector graphics tool for 2d design.  It's similar to Adobe InDesign or Adobe Illustrator or Coreal Draw in function.

For 3d printing my suggestion is SketchUp Make (the free version), which is probably the easiest 3D tool to learn to use.  You might find the suggestions in this thread helpful: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82707-newbie-to-3d-printing-and-cad/

Just remember to start with some simple test pieces before launching into a big project.  Good luck!

I have just started with Solidworks for creating models to be 3-D printed by Shapeways and it is quite easy to be up and running and producing things effectively in a couple of weeks. Not the cheapest but might prove a good investment if it saves you time. I have yet to try any of the other disciplines though.

If you are looking for a single programme which can be used for creating drawings for laser cutting, etching, and 3d printing the I would strongly suggest looking at Rhino5.

For laser cutting you need a programme which can export a .dxf.

For etching you need a programme which can export a .dwg and produce a solid hatch

also see this thread http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/83466-etchers-uk-that-are-able-to-work-with-turbocad-tcw-files/

For 3d printing you need a programme which will export an .stl

Cost wise a single user suit of rhino comes in at £849 (ouch) this is however VERY cheap considering what this single programme is capable of.

Jonathan

Rhino certainly is a good bit of software and I'd echo your recommendation if drduncan was looking for something to upgrade to.  On the other hand I'm afraid that I disagree that someone who is just starting to look at this area for the first time should stump up almost a thousand pounds before they even know if they want to pursue this aspect of the hobby seriously.  Just my opinion.

Hi Duncan,

I only use cad intermitantly, and then mainly 2d, (actually, I guess 2.5 d, for cnc milling). I've used designcad 3d since 1985, and for many years before when it was known as prodesign 3d, iirc. It is updated annually with a new set of bugs, but they are all workaroundable, and I find the interface pretty intuitive, it costs around $50 or so, and is now owned by IMSI (who want to push 'Turbocad', instead). There is a very helpful forum, with many professional users. I've used it for preparing files for laser cutting, etching, 3d printing, mould making, etc.. For 3d printing I use Meshlab - http://meshlab.sourceforge.net/ - to convert the dc3d vrml files to stl, which my printer drive software prefers.

I've looked at many other low cost cad software packages over the years, and I think that if I was starting afresh I'd go with  DraftSite - http://www.solidworks.com/sw/products/free-cad-software-downloads.htm - It is European developed software by Dassault Systems who own  Solidworks and others - it is free, but only for 2d, rock solid and it has very good free (or bought) support. If you are initially concerned with etching and laser cutting, you only need 2d cad. Many programs will export to dxf or dwg files, and there are plenty of free conversion programs. You need to be sure to use the correct version (year) for dxf exports.

I've tried to find out about Totalcad (I'm guessing it is the ten quid software from Focus Media you are referring to). It may work fine, or may not. It seems there are old win 98 versions still being sold - their web site is not very informative (no free demo/whatever), and not many sensible reviews. I think I would start with DraftSite, and if you really want to leap into 3d, then I believe Sketchup would be better than Totalcad (but due to my dc3d background, I find Sketchup to be a nightmare :scratchhead:).

hth

Best wishes,

Ray

Look at freecad totally free open source software I have use it for 3d printing and proving shapes for laser cutting.

I then export into inkscape to produce files for laser cutting. Not done etches yet its next on the list.

Archived