Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

At what point do I stop?

I was recently gifted a loco.

Which loco isn't particularly relevant, beyond saying that it is an RTR body on a kit chassis.

What is relevant is that it of a prototype that is far too modern to run on my layout but bears a close resemblance to a much older predecessor that would fit in perfectly.

To start with all I though I'd need to do was remove the top-feed and replace the cab and bunker (which were damaged anyway), tool boxes and sand boxes.

It was only when I started investigating the many and varied styles of cab with which the older versions were equipped that I realised there were far, far more differences between the early and late versions than I had realised.  None of the differences are major or, taken individually, will take all that much time or effort to correct.  

But there are an awful lot of them and collectively they add up to an awful lot of time and effort - for something 95% of the people who ever see it will neither notice nor appreciate.

The trouble is that in the hour or so I spent investigating I have become one of the 5% who will know what the errors are.

So what do I do?

What you do depends entirely on who you are doing it for.

If it is for others to look at who would not know the differences then stop now - if it is to satisfy you and you can still see the differences then keep on until it's as perfect as you can get it.

Only you know that my Friend, if you are happy with it stop !!! If it bugs you and niggles away at your brain, carry on till you are happy to stop, this way you will have done some modelling and gain the satisfaction, either that or it will drive you bonkers and do your brain in,then you will end up taking a 2lb ball pein hammer to it !!!!

Happy modelling

• RMweb Premium

Don anorak, or parka, as preferred, then straight down to the model shop to invest in one of these new fangled Rivet Counter Detector vans.

If the van spontaneously combusts, take off anorak/parka, and retire to a dark corner. 

You're hooked.

Regards

Ian

• RMweb Premium

I was recently gifted a loco.

Which loco isn't particularly relevant, beyond saying that it is an RTR body on a kit chassis.

What is relevant is that it of a prototype that is far too modern to run on my layout but bears a close resemblance to a much older predecessor that would fit in perfectly.

To start with all I though I'd need to do was remove the top-feed and replace the cab and bunker (which were damaged anyway), tool boxes and sand boxes.

It was only when I started investigating the many and varied styles of cab with which the older versions were equipped that I realised there were far, far more differences between the early and late versions than I had realised.  None of the differences are major or, taken individually, will take all that much time or effort to correct.  

But there are an awful lot of them and collectively they add up to an awful lot of time and effort - for something 95% of the people who ever see it will neither notice nor appreciate.

The trouble is that in the hour or so I spent investigating I have become one of the 5% who will know what the errors are.

So what do I do?

Since its obviously going to bother you until all these problems are fixed, you have to decide if its worth the effort & perhaps jumping the queue in your project list. If the answer is no, then moving it on, seems the best solution. Another thing to consider is, would the donor know/care?

Archived