Duncan's Mine II - Mansfield 2/4/24 (Pics)

steve1

The layout will be appearing at @RedgateModels Mansfield show on March.

Before then, there will be a bit of upgrading to be done as well as a general tidying up.

One upgrade will be replacing the existing strip light with a line of LEDs and the other is a small extension past the mine loader. This being built by my friend Colin who made the original baseboard.

The extension will have 2 tracks and be detachable, as the layout wouldn’t fit in the car if it was fixed. The extension is another fiddleyard without scenery.

steve

• Like 4

• steve1 changed the title to Duncan's Mine II - Update
  • 3 weeks later...

My chippy friend Colin has produced the extension piece. Now all I have to do is integrate it into the rest of the layout visually, plus lay the foam and the track.

I will also take the opportunity to freshen up the scenery and make few other small changes, including adding an LED lighting strip. The old fluorescent tube has already been removed in readiness.

steve

334039B0-E179-4ADF-95C9-FACBB091798C.jpeg

B84575AC-AFFA-4C6B-9835-9BE00F4FF785.jpeg

Edited by steve1
  • Like 2

• steve1 changed the title to Duncan's Mine II - Update 8/2/23
  • 2 weeks later...
  • steve1 changed the title to Duncan's Mine II - Update 20/2/23
  • steve1 changed the title to Duncan's Mine II - Update 27/2/23
  • steve1 changed the title to Duncan's Mine II - Update 28/2/23 Mansfield
  • steve1 changed the title to Duncan's Mine II - Update 7/3/23
  • 3 months later...

Sadly, the layout won’t be at Caistor in October as I am currently unable to attend 2 day shows for family reasons.

Set the layout up this afternoon as it is going to Bridlington exhibition on 2nd September. 

It needed a good clean but everything seems fine. I might yet do some scenery refreshing to liven it up a bit. Ran all the locos and some were a bit stiff. Funnily enough, my last, ancient, Athearn Blue Box switcher ran perfectly. Other, more expensive, locos still need a good run in!

steve

• steve1 changed the title to Duncan's Mine II - Update 4/7/23
  • steve1 changed the title to Duncan's Mine II - Update 5/7/23 (Pics)
  • 7 months later...

At Mansfield, for an experiment, I ran the layout backdated by about 5 years by running all steam, bar the Model 40 switcher.

It all worked really well, switching with big tender locos and running 0-6-0 tanks on PW and ore jennies. May well go 50:50 mix of propulsion next time!

steve

27A80B31-14F8-4122-AA4A-CA58FD04763E.jpeg

05F10B18-1E4D-411C-8A86-958EFCE9D299.jpeg

• Like 2

• steve1 changed the title to Duncan's Mine II - Mansfield 2/4/24 (Pics)

Great to see you at Mansfield Steve, it's certainly been ages since we've had a catch up.

Sorry if I was a bit quiet or zoned out, I wasn't feeling well at all. In fact, I had to pull out of day 2 because of it.

Layout looked great, and those steam locos were awesome. :)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1