RMweb

The Somerdale Sentinel Shunter Story

Corbs

• RMweb Gold

Over the winter, I've been working on a series of videos about the Sentinel loco based at the Avon Valley Railway, and am currently releasing one every week on the AVRBitton Channel. I thought I'd repost them here in case y'all wanted a gander! It's quite a heartwarming story of railway preservation, and the project has been led by Eric Miles, who was an engineer at Fry's chocolate factory in Keynsham, when the loco worked there. Eric presents the films.

I'll let the vids do the talking, so here they are...

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Part 4:

Episode 5 will follow in the coming weeks.

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Nicely produced films!  I often passed by Finbow's yard in Bacton and would always give the Sentinel a quick glance.  I wondered where it had disappeared to!

Thank you! It's had a bit of a charmed life and has evaded the cutter's torch quite well :) The aim is to repaint one of the box vans on the AVR to go with the loco, so we should have a chocolate train!

Edited by Corbs

• RMweb Premium

Fantastic, I love this heartwarming tale of the recovery of the Somerdale Sentinel as well as great photos of the loco at work. Eric Miles and Corbs deserve thanks for this, the greatest thing will be to see this Sentinel back in action.

Dava

• RMweb Premium

I'd like a 7mm one! There is a similar loco at Embsay, so the Fry's one is not quite unique, but 'British Tar Products'  can't

really compete with Frys Chocolate...

Dava

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks Dava - If you are unable to get to the AVR in person, the best way to get in touch is by emailing info@avonvalleyrailway.org and marking your email 'Sentinel Fund'.

Many thanks.

• 5 years later...
  • 2 months later...